5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gear Switch 3.21 to 3.92

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone know if the dealer can change the gear ratio and re flash computer? Im regretting not getting the 3.92 and would like to switch if possible when my truck delivers. I dont think it would be too much $$

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone know if the dealer can change the gear ratio and re flash computer? Im regretting not getting the 3.92 and would like to switch if possible when my truck delivers. I dont think it would be too much $$

Yes the dealer of your choice can swap out the rear diff gears, please be seated when you call them and inquire as to the cost. The thought has been kicked around a few times here.

jmr

Reaction score
Hard to imagine it was just a $95 option from the factory.
I have 3.92 in my 2019 and had 3.21 in my 2016 the 3.92 does pull better and I've not really seen a mpg hit either.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have 3.92 in my 2019 and had 3.21 in my 2016 the 3.92 does pull better and I've not really seen a mpg hit either.
I rejected my truck that finally delivered on Wednesday and reordered a new one with the 3.92 :)

NDanecker

Reaction score

I agree on the mpg difference. Unless you live in a very flat area and drive all highway I feel the 3.92 is the better all around option.

As for the $95 option that is all BS. Its the same gear set just different ratio. Can't believe they are charging us anything for the option. Upgrade from v6 to v8 - sure but just selecting a different gear ratio during build? Should be a no-charge option. LOL.

Joeyp

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks....They even parked it right outside the window before I ordered the new one just in case I'd change my mind! Just want anyone to know on here that it is possible...just need balls lamo

SColang22

Reaction score
I got a quote to do this from 4 different shops. It’s about $1800 for the rear and if you have a 4x4 it’s another $2000 for the front. I went with a tuner and some mods instead

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure, but on the late model 4th gens, the front diffs ring gears are welded, so you’ll need a new carrier and other parts as well. I read on the ram forums guys with 2015+ often find a whole front diff from a 3.92 truck

PRY1782

Reaction score
I got a quote to do this from 4 different shops. It’s about $1800 for the rear and if you have a 4x4 it’s another $2000 for the front. I went with a tuner and some mods instead
Which tuner did you go with?

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The cost is so low because it's optioned before assembly. Switching requires disassembly and then reassemble cost...plus the $95 upgrade cost. It's supposedly easy to do but time consuming. I thought about switching mine when I got it but don't do enough towing to justify the cost.

gtxdana

Reaction score
If I had it to do over again, I would go with the 3.21 gears, especially if more time was spent on the freeway. Taking off from a stop with the 3.92 gear and the eight speed is like an old school truck with a "granny" first gear. My last Ram with a six speed auto and a 4.10 gear towed my enclosed trailer effortlessly. First gear ratio with the eight speed/3.21 is actually lower than a six speed/4.10 gear. Of course the tow rating with the 3.21 gear is something like 8500 pounds vs. 11600 with the 3.92.

PRY1782

Reaction score
Diablosport T2. Sold the truck so I have it up for sale now if you want. Got it with the extra pcm
Thanks. I will do some research on them and let you know. What price are you looking for?

Elz

Reaction score
Hey, I'd like to shake this tree a little. I'm in the Coast Guard, and just got orders from the Houston area to Valdez, Alaska. I have a 2019 1500 with 3.21s. We just bought a bigger camper also! We're basically going from a lot of flat and straight to a lot of mountain twisties. I called two local dealers and they said they couldn't do it, no matter what the price was because they couldn't reflash the computer to make it work, but they both told me a couple local 4x4 shops could. My truck only has 19000 miles on it and I'd like to keep the factory warranty. To put it simply, I'd like to tow my camper and not be right at the max capacity through only Alaska/Canada mountains. Has anyone on here actually been able to get swapped out to 3.92s by a ram dealer? If so, where did you go, and what was the price?

Users who are viewing this thread