5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gear Ratio Upgrade

jbryan43

Reaction score
Was curious if anyone has gone with new gears in their 5th Gens, such as Moe’s Performance, and if so, what ratio? Also curious for anyone that has a 4x4 if you’ve found a solution for gears in the front differential.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You have the factory choice from 3.21 to 3.92. Do you need something lower? I'm in 6th at 35mph.

jbryan43

Reaction score
I
You have the factory choice from 3.21 to 3.92. Do you need something lower? I'm in 6th at 35mph.
I have a ‘21 1500 with the 5.7 with 3.21 gears. More trying to figure out if I’ll end up needing to move up to higher gears like the 4.10 gears offered by Moe’s but honestly have no clue. Didn’t know if I could still be putting power through well enough or if I need to swap in new gears to be able to handle more power. Already running a DiabloSport i3 tuner and building off that with Fastman throttle body next and some other mods.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I

I have a ‘21 1500 with the 5.7 with 3.21 gears. More trying to figure out if I’ll end up needing to move up to higher gears like the 4.10 gears offered by Moe’s but honestly have no clue. Didn’t know if I could still be putting power through well enough or if I need to swap in new gears to be able to handle more power. Already running a DiabloSport i3 tuner and building off that with Fastman throttle body next and some other mods.
The gears don't care how much power you make. If you wanted better performance, should have gotten 3.92s from the get go. What are you wanting your truck to do? Drag race? Street race? Higher too speed? Figure that out and find the gears that keep you in the power for the task. Can also play with tire size to help as well. As far as I have seen, you have to replace the whole carrier in the front end to change gears, not just the gears.

jbryan43

Reaction score
The gears don't care how much power you make. If you wanted better performance, should have gotten 3.92s from the get go. What are you wanting your truck to do? Drag race? Street race? Higher too speed? Figure that out and find the gears that keep you in the power for the task. Can also play with tire size to help as well. As far as I have seen, you have to replace the whole carrier in the front end to change gears, not just the gears.
Wasn’t an option when buying my truck. Only package I could get without ordering was the Night Edition but only with 3.21 gears unless I wanted to step up into a 4x2 Laramie with the eTorque. Was more thinking just street racing but also wanting to go with a cam and all the supporting mods and didn’t know if it was even worth it with the gears. Appreciate the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/