5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gear Ratio and Tire Size

Hadit55

Reaction score
If I'm moving to a more aggressive tire (All season to All terrain) such as the Falkin Wildpeak, and also a bigger tire size (275/55R20 to 275/60R20) does my factory gear ratio become a concern? I have a 2020 Big Horn with a 3.21 Gear Ratio for the record.

I know I will have tradeoffs on my speedometer reading which can be corrected and also take a hit on MPG. My primary concern would be excess wear on drive train components.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You’ll be fine. Yes you”ll notice the difference in performance but a heavier/larger tire is going to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If I'm moving to a more aggressive tire (All season to All terrain) such as the Falkin Wildpeak, and also a bigger tire size (275/55R20 to 275/60R20) does my factory gear ratio become a concern? I have a 2020 Big Horn with a 3.21 Gear Ratio for the record.

I know I will have tradeoffs on my speedometer reading which can be corrected and also take a hit on MPG. My primary concern would be excess wear on drive train components.
Your transmission will probably downshift more often with taller tires. Especially with 3.21. but not enough to worry about reliability

Bigzway

Reaction score
I have 275/65/20 Yokohama G003 mt and there’s no difference compared to stock size still shifts the same

Hadit55

Reaction score
I have 275/65/20 Yokohama G003 mt and there’s no difference compared to stock size still shifts the same
Thanks for the feedback and im assuming you have the 3.21 gear ratio as well?

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Go to tiresize.com They have charts showing the differences in the tires, along with speedo difference, and revs per mile. Yuor tires will go about 3" farther per rev, and be 20 revs per mile less.

Hadit55

Reaction score
Go to tiresize.com They have charts showing the differences in the tires, along with speedo difference, and revs per mile. Yuor tires will go about 3" farther per rev, and be 20 revs per mile less.
Thanks but I'm assuming that wouldn't help with me figuring out if my gear ratio is sufficient for using larger and heavier duty tires. I occasionally haul a 2k pound bass boat 60 miles both ways.

silver billet

Reaction score
Thanks but I'm assuming that wouldn't help with me figuring out if my gear ratio is sufficient for using larger and heavier duty tires. I occasionally haul a 2k pound bass boat 60 miles both ways.

Nobody can tell you whether you will like it, but you will still be in a very powerful truck. It will still put more power down than a v6 with 3.21 (for example).

I put 1 inch taller tires (also wider and heavier, they were Cooper AT3's) on my Jeep GC with the 5 speed mercedes and v6 pentastar. I could barely tell the difference and that jeep was already sluggish to begin with.

Hadit55

Reaction score
Nobody can tell you whether you will like it, but you will still be in a very powerful truck. It will still put more power down than a v6 with 3.21 (for example).

I put 1 inch taller tires (also wider and heavier, they were Cooper AT3's) on my Jeep GC with the 5 speed mercedes and v6 pentastar. I could barely tell the difference and that jeep was already sluggish to begin with.
Thank you for the reply and information

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score

It just means the anemic 3.21 gears will be even more sluggish.

Changing gears in these trucks is a chore due to the welded front ring gear.

6of36

Reaction score
It just means the anemic 3.21 gears will be even more sluggish.

Changing gears in these trucks is a chore due to the welded front ring gear.
Sluggish? What are you comparing it to? SS Camaros? Vipers? I've had multiple people amazed how quick my truck was with a 3.21.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Just one with 3.92 gears like they are supposed to have. I just can't see being "amazed" by the 5.7 with grocery getter gears. 🤣

Dewey

Reaction score
Years ago guys we’re running big lifts and even bigger tires with motors barely putting out 235 hp and still had BIG smiles on their face.
Don’t let anybody tell you that 3.21’s won’t do the job with a motor pushing almost 400 hp. If your towing 5000+ lbs on top of bigger tires well then you might need to reconsider.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Years ago guys we’re running big lifts and even bigger tires with motors barely putting out 235 hp and still had BIG smiles on their face.
Don’t let anybody tell you that 3.21’s won’t do the job with a motor pushing almost 400 hp. If your towing 5000+ lbs on top of bigger tires well then you might need to reconsider.
It might "do the job". But you can do the job better. I mean, I guess you can frame a house with a tack hammer, but a framing hammer works a lot better on a 16d nail. 😆

Yea, I had one of those old '77 Dodge trucks that did 0 to 60 in 5 minutes. Glad I moved on.

6of36

Reaction score
I don't have any need for oversize tires, but tow over 5,000 lbs on a regular basis. I still accelerate faster than the idiots always blocking my way on freeway entrances. When nobody is in the way, I can still hit 80 on the ramp while towing. The only reason I can see for a 3.92, besides towing over 8,00 lbs is wasting gas.

Users who are viewing this thread