5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas tank size

GFK51

Reaction score
I know that this will sound like a stupid question but how can I determine what size gas tank is on my 2020 RAM Limited, 5.7 engine. I never let my gas tank get below half full during the winter so I can't tell by letting the gas tank run low. My owners manual state that I have a 23 or I believe a 26 gallon tank. I do know that it is not a 33 gallon gas tank.

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I BELIEVE THE STANDARD IS 26 GALLON WITH THE OPTIONAL BEING THE 33 GALLON TANK BUT THIS IS MY SECOND RAM WITH THE LARGER TANK THAT THEY MUST USE THE SMALLER UNIT READER IN BECAUSE MY LIGHT CAME ON YESTERDAY AND SHE ONLY TOOK 26.2 GALLONS... DODGE NOW FCA CANT SEEM TO GET THAT RIGHT!

Scram1500

Reaction score
I BELIEVE THE STANDARD IS 26 GALLON WITH THE OPTIONAL BEING THE 33 GALLON TANK BUT THIS IS MY SECOND RAM WITH THE LARGER TANK THAT THEY MUST USE THE SMALLER UNIT READER IN BECAUSE MY LIGHT CAME ON YESTERDAY AND SHE ONLY TOOK 26.2 GALLONS... DODGE NOW FCA CANT SEEM TO GET THAT RIGHT!
They leave a 6 gallon reserve. My 26 gallon takes 20 when the light comes on

I know that this will sound like a stupid question but how can I determine what size gas tank is on my 2020 RAM Limited, 5.7 engine. I never let my gas tank get below half full during the winter so I can't tell by letting the gas tank run low. My owners manual state that I have a 23 or I believe a 26 gallon tank. I do know that it is not a 33 gallon gas tank.
Someone here knows the answer, it's a specific combination that determines the 23 gallon. Some say its eTorque, others say no. It will say on the window sticker if you still have it

Scram1500

Reaction score
It does seem like a lot, but for those people with a heavy foot or bigger tires who get 13 miles to the gallon, that's only 78 miles before empty

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Standard tank size currently depends on trim level and cab/bed configuration. Standard tank size on a Limited is always 26 gallons. Tank size is not always listed on the window sticker, but will always be listed on the build sheet. To get the build sheet for your truck, go to this website. Enter your VIN in the space and click on the Search button.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you fill up as soon as the light comes on that's with 50 miles until "empty". I've driven it until it hit 0 and still had about 1-1.5 gallons in the actual reserve.

NTX_Ian

Reaction score
I’ve opted for the larger size tank on the last 3 rams I've purchased and my ‘19 is the only one that ever reflected it at the pump. If I fill up with 10-15mi to empty, it takes damn near all 33 gallons. The previous ones all seemed to take 5-6 gallons less than the tank size on my build sheet.

OP - toss a nearly full 5 gallon gas can in the bed and find out the old fashioned way. Be sure to locate ur neck filler-majiggy before hand.

Rexx

Reaction score
Mikeru already covered it but the Limiteds come standard with the 26 gal. Lower trims come standard with 23 gal.
I have a 26 gal on my Limited, kinda wish I had the 33 but I can live with the 26.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mikeru already covered it but the Limiteds come standard with the 26 gal. Lower trims come standard with 23 gal.
I have a 26 gal on my Limited, kinda wish I had the 33 but I can live with the 26.
Actually, the 26 gallon tank is the standard on Big Horn and Laramie. I believe the 23 gallon tank is configuration dependent. Perhaps somebody else can explain.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045561 miles.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Actually, the 26 gallon tank is the standard on Big Horn and Laramie. I believe the 23 gallon tank is configuration dependent. Perhaps somebody else can explain.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045561 miles.
I thought the 23 is only e torque models.

This from a competing ram forum, the post responding to a question about tank sizes...
”Every Ram truck I've owned has been this way. Apparently having about 4 gallons of fuel in reserve. The two 4th gens I owned both had 26 gallon tanks. I could never pump more than 22 gallons into them when the DTE showed less than 30 miles left. My 2020 has a 23 gallon tank (I know, big mistake on my part), and I can only get a little over 19 gallons into it with 30 to 40 miles left. Seems as though the 33 gallon tank is even more conservative than the smaller ones. I really wish I would have thought more about the fuel tank size when I was shopping for a truck.”

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This seems to be a topic I don't see much on other (competitive) sites. I know that any vehicle I've owned made after 1970 had a reserve. My '93 Sentra even had a remark in the owners manual about it (I believe it was 3 gallons).

Regards,
Dusty

GFK51

Reaction score
Standard tank size currently depends on trim level and cab/bed configuration. Standard tank size on a Limited is always 26 gallons. Tank size is not always listed on the window sticker, but will always be listed on the build sheet. To get the build sheet for your truck, go to this website. Enter your VIN in the space and click on the Search button.

Thank you so much!, I put the VIN in and saw the build sheet, it is a 26 Gallon tank.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I thought the 23 is only e torque models.

This from a competing ram forum, the post responding to a question about tank sizes...
”Every Ram truck I've owned has been this way. Apparently having about 4 gallons of fuel in reserve. The two 4th gens I owned both had 26 gallon tanks. I could never pump more than 22 gallons into them when the DTE showed less than 30 miles left. My 2020 has a 23 gallon tank (I know, big mistake on my part), and I can only get a little over 19 gallons into it with 30 to 40 miles left. Seems as though the 33 gallon tank is even more conservative than the smaller ones. I really wish I would have thought more about the fuel tank size when I was shopping for a truck.”
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Fuel tank size depends on trim level and cab/bed configuration. Etorque has nothing to do with fuel tank size. Maybe at one time it did, but if it ever did it doesn't now. Configure one for yourself if you don't believe me.

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
Look at the window sticker.

if you purchased the 33 gallon then it will state it

otherwise crawl under and look, I have the 33 and I can see that marked on the tank

Users who are viewing this thread