5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas stations that stop the pump at $100: not cool.

jastevenson

Reaction score
Gas prices are high, and my tank holds 33 gallons.

Lately I’ve been to two separate gas stations that stop the pump at $100 (a 7/11 and an Arco).

It takes away some of the awesomeness of the 33 gallon tank!

And the F-150 drivers with the 36 gallon tank must really hate it.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, I didn’t know you could get a 36-gal tank on the Fords.
When I was young, my dad had a ‘74 Chevy with dual 20-gallon tanks. And in the back, he added 3 more 20-gallon tanks (all wired to a set of switches in the ash tray, so he could change tanks without stopping). I thought it was cool as ****. But as I got older, I thought, “why the bleep would you want to carry 600 lbs of gasoline around? Aside from the potential mushroom cloud concerns, the mileage that he got because of it! He got 8 mpg! Of course, gas was $0.75/gallon back then.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As a kid my grandfather had an international 'corn binder' pickup with a custom 90gal tank in the bed - the small town station didn't have an auto shutoff but the attendant would often come out or shutoff the pump after about 40 gal in case someone had an energetic and was just pumping gas out on the ground etc. I'm guessing this is similar or is related to credit card fraud as many stations by me have a$75 limit per transaction.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Lately I’ve been to two separate gas stations that stop the pump at $100 (a 7/11 and an Arco).

Man, where are you buying gas? I know prices are up now that our senile leader decided that energy independence is bad for the country and we should start buying our oil from Russia rather than from our own oil fields but it is still just under $3 a gallon here outside of DC.

Moosefire66

Reaction score
Man, where are you buying gas? I know prices are up now that our senile leader decided that energy independence is bad for the country and we should start buying our oil from Russia rather than from our own oil fields but it is still just under $3 a gallon here outside of DC.
Metro Detroit is 320ish a gallon right now. I got lucky, filled up a couple days ago before a spike at 2.78 I think at costco

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
Wow, I didn’t know you could get a 36-gal tank on the Fords.
When I was young, my dad had a ‘74 Chevy with dual 20-gallon tanks. And in the back, he added 3 more 20-gallon tanks (all wired to a set of switches in the ash tray, so he could change tanks without stopping). I thought it was cool as ****. But as I got older, I thought, “why the bleep would you want to carry 600 lbs of gasoline around? Aside from the potential mushroom cloud concerns, the mileage that he got because of it! He got 8 mpg! Of course, gas was $0.75/gallon back then.

My Grandfather had a 66 3/4 Chevy waaaay back. Had a tank behind the seat (yes, inside the cab), and two saddle tanks under each side of the bed. There was a lever on the dash to switch tanks. No gauges though on the saddle tanks. He would drive until it started to sputter then switch to the next tank. If he waited too long there was a lot of swearing going on. :LOL:
4.19 for 87, 4.49 for 89 in California

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I had a 45-gallon Transfer Flow tank in my ‘01 Silverado 2500HD with the 8.1L/Allison combo and 4.10 gears. That was when some pumps shut off at $75 and gas was topping $4/gallon.

When you start having to charge your card three times to fill up, you’re allowed to complain ;)

alpha_brit

Reaction score
I had a 45-gallon Transfer Flow tank in my ‘01 Silverado 2500HD with the 8.1L/Allison combo and 4.10 gears. That was when some pumps shut off at $75 and gas was topping $4/gallon.

When you start having to charge your card three times to fill up, you’re allowed to complain ;)
Our old Suburban had a 40 gallon tank, I think. I remember putting gas in it one very brisk winter day and finally giving up at about 30 gallons, my hands were frozen. I went in to grab something from the convenience store and the guys in there were like "we wondered how much it was going to take" - and I was like, I gave up, it was too cold to completely fill it. Their faces were priceless.

FYRSTIX

Reaction score
I've run into an $85 and even a $75 limit in my area (San Jose, CA). With 87 gas already around $4.25 (and higher) while still going up, I can't understand why some places have such limits.

Awood05

Reaction score
In my town there is a gas station that’s pumps stop at $50 and one that stops at $75. Learned that the hard way when I had my Raptor which had the 36 gallon tank.

jimchi

Reaction score
In April 2021, the US produced 335,065 barrels of crude.
Source: https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_crd_crpdn_adc_mbbl_m.htm

In April 2021, the US imported 248,006 barrels of crude from all countries.
In April 2021, the US imported 20,641 barrels of crude from Russia.
Source: https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_move_impcus_a2_nus_ep00_im0_mbbl_m.htm

In April 2021, Russia imports of crude accounted for 3.5% of all US crude.

Imports of crude from Russia increased after 2002 and have remained relatively stable since:

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Because I'm a credit card points churner, I actually wouldn't mind two transactions so long as the 2nd one was over 5 gallons. I get some bonus 'transaction' multiplier with Shell right now where I"m getting 10 cents off a gallon if I can do 4, 5 gallon fill ups per month on top of some other promotions.

Alas, My state is sub $3 a gallon for Diesel so doesn't play to my favor unless I just decide to stop pumping, put it back in and start over but I usually forget.

U

User_3336

Some stations have $$$ limits on the pumps because of the way a pump gets an authorization.

Typically when you put your card in, the pump only authorizes the transaction for $1. This to make sure the card is (1) valid, and (2) isn't a prepaid card with a ZERO balance, and (3) that the card issuer actually bounces back an approval code.

If the authorization passes the $1, it turns on the pump and you fill up. Some stations set limits strictly because of the amount, period. the final amount, lets say $75, doesn't get an an attemped "post" until you finish, and a receipt pops out.

This is a risk that the station takes, that the final amount pumped will be able to be charged to the card.

AMEX used to charge $100 automatically to the card even before you started pumping.

Stations CAN change their $1 authorization, to a $75 authorization right off, but that pisses off people because if they didn't pump at least $75, then it would put a hold on the person's debit/card days later until the merchant actually submitted that day's batch.

So, the limit could work either way.

Users who are viewing this thread