5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas pump spills

Lakewake

Site Supporter and Tracking
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Reaction score
Love my truck, not a single problem, but pulling in the gas station, any gas station has me grinding my teeth. Three times now the pump does not shut off, even on low setting. Never had a vehicle do this, including the many I have rented. Today’s surprise was not a little dribble, it was a gushing nightmare, WTH! Anyone else experiencing this?

RAM 4times

Reaction score
Love my truck, not a single problem, but pulling in the gas station, any gas station has me grinding my teeth. Three times now the pump does not shut off, even on low setting. Never had a vehicle do this, including the many I have rented. Today’s surprise was not a little dribble, it was a gushing nightmare, WTH! Anyone else experiencing this?
no, but the last few times i got gas it shut itself off on it's own a couple of times within the first 2 or 3 gallons. which is better than what happened to you.

LaRamie

Reaction score
That's a new one, usually it's the other way around.. vent issue maybe, If it'll do it consistently have the dealer look at it

2019Bhorn

Reaction score
Mine has done the shut off things a few times, and only once did it kick back gas everywhere.. I filled it up the other day while running, no issues

syddog 2000

Reaction score
Sometimes it wants to shut off a bit early, so I use the 2 setting which seems to help. I have much experience at this lol

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score

It must be the hub of NASCAR that you live near. They are always splashing gas during pit stops. ;)

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Confirm that’s with different stations/pumps? I would head to the dealer asap as splashing gas is more than a bit dangerous. Static discharge spark and you have an unplanned bbq, and not the fun kind. Until then pump at a lower flow rate and be careful brother.

Lakewake

Reaction score
Confirm that’s with different stations/pumps? I would head to the dealer asap as splashing gas is more than a bit dangerous. Static discharge spark and you have an unplanned bbq, and not the fun kind. Until then pump at a lower flow rate and be careful brother.
Yes, some worse than others. Got a call into dealership.

Reaction score

So it’s funny I see this as I was at Costco today with the wife to fill up the truck and as I was standing outside the pump didn’t shut off and about a half gallon ended up on the floor. And it’s like it was spitting fuel out of the tank... thought maybe problem with the pump, but now seeing that I’m not the only one guess I’ll keep an eye on it next time I fill up to see if it does it again. If so I’ll be sure to call the dealer. Gotta remember to record it just Incase. ‍♂️♂️ Had the truck a week now!

Lakewake

Reaction score
So it’s funny I see this as I was at Costco today with the wife to fill up the truck and as I was standing outside the pump didn’t shut off and about a half gallon ended up on the floor. And it’s like it was spitting fuel out of the tank... thought maybe problem with the pump, but now seeing that I’m not the only one guess I’ll keep an eye on it next time I fill up to see if it does it again. If so I’ll be sure to call the dealer. Gotta remember to record it just Incase. ‍♂️♂️ Had the truck a week now!
Mechanic at dealership thinks it may be a kink in the vent line.
I will crawl under my truck this afternoon and check it out

GoMango16

Reaction score
Just my thoughts on this, the cap free seal is not letting the pump nozzle ground to the filler neck there for not signaling the pump to shut off. JMHO....JB.

Lakewake

Reaction score
Just my thoughts on this, the cap free seal is not letting the pump nozzle ground to the filler neck there for not signaling the pump to shut off. JMHO....JB.
Bad Seal?
Just checked vent line and did not see any kink, guess it could be obstruction in it

Smoot178

Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of mis-information here. You don't have to "ground" the pump to the chassis. It is a totally mechanical system within the gas pump handle that cuts flow.

GoMango16

Reaction score
Must have changed the handle functions from the 60's and 70's because that is the way they worked then.:eek:

david55838

Reaction score
Just going to write a new post, and saw this. I filled up the truck three times and this has happened twice. The last time the gas pump was flowing extremely slowly, and it didn't even shut off by itself. Quite a mess. I've gone about 20 miles since then, and there's still gas at the top of the filler neck which makes no sense to me. I can push on the little lip, and gas is right there! I know gas expands in the warm weather, but it's weird. Dreading when I need gas again, and with a Rebel, it will be soon!

Hockeygod1225

Reaction score
I've been having the opposite issue. I stop to get gas and can barley get through a gallon without it cutting off. I have found that it may be compatiblity with certain pumps. I immediately go to a different station and it works fine. Not sure but will be bringing it up to the dealer next oil change.

Users who are viewing this thread