5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas mileage

Dan Houle

Reaction score
Hello all,
A simple question. I have a 2022 Rebel & my gas mileage is awful. I rarely get in the gas pedal, but I reset the MPG the other day & it stayed between 10 - 12 MPG driving local. Just curious.

LostAggie

Reaction score
Seems consistent with what I am seeing but as it breaks in I am getting slightly better numbers…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That's about right, 33" and 3.92 axle hurts mpg big time on RAMs. If I drive normal, semi-aggressive to hear the exhaust sound of my Flowmaster Outlaw, I get about 12.5 mpg in mostly city driving.

That being said, if you take it a step back further in your driving style, essentially one step above pissing off the driver behind you, just above hypermiling, you will get pretty decent mpg. I am now averaging around 14.7 mpg around the city with this driving style.

If I use that same driving style on the freeway, I can get close to 19 mpg. However, that would require me driving in the two slower lanes and increases my chances of a windshield chip, so I have to stay in the faster lanes at a higher speed, my highway mpg is about 17 or so.

Last edited:

Idahoktm

Reaction score
My Laramie is set up very much like a Rebel, with 33" tires and 3.92 gears. I'm getting 15.5 mpg in the winter and 17.5 in the summer with a mix of 80/20 city/highway. My mileage drops off a bit if I don't spend any time on the highway.

If you're spending a lot of time in traffic, your mileage is going to take a big hit, unless you have eTorque. 3.92 gears don't have a negative impact on your mileage in town, but they will hurt you a bit if you spend a lot of time on the highway above 75 mph.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
When I had the ‘21 hemi with 33’s and 3.92’s, the best I averaged per tank when driving like miss daisy was 15.2. The only thing that made me happy was getting an ecodiesel.

RamRebelRob

Reaction score
3.92 and the duratracs will do that to you.

The Rebels aren't really meant to be daily drivers, more like daily off-roaders.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
You must drive pretty mellow to get those numbers. City driving, especially if you idle at lights a lot, really destroys the fuel economy on these trucks.
I'm actually pretty aggressive. Fortunately, I live in a small town and traffic isn't that bad.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have 4 ply 33’s with 3.21 and get 17 to 18 mixed driving. Remote start and drive thrus kill mpg as well. Today I got 20 avg on the interstate going 70+ for a few hundred miles

CogitoErgoLevo

Reaction score
You have 35 inch with ko2 tires and a 2 inch lift on your rebel. 10-12 mpg makes sense with your config
Did you do a speedo recalibration?

Kevin C

Reaction score
Just bought a new 2022 Rebel G/T w eTorque. Completely stock, I'm averaging about 15mpg in mostly in town driving.
I had been driving a 2019 Laramie with the 3.5" RediLift and 35" tires and was averaging about 15mpg. I figured the mileage in the new truck would be a few mpg's better before I add a lift and 35's. I wonder what this thing is going to get once I make the changes. I guess the 33 gallon tank will come in handy.

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Just bought a new 2022 Rebel G/T w eTorque. Completely stock, I'm averaging about 15mpg in mostly in town driving.
I had been driving a 2019 Laramie with the 3.5" RediLift and 35" tires and was averaging about 15mpg. I figured the mileage in the new truck would be a few mpg's better before I add a lift and 35's. I wonder what this thing is going to get once I make the changes. I guess the 33 gallon tank will come in handy.
Mileage will improve once the engine gets broken in a little. There's a lot of friction in a new engine.

flying53brian

Reaction score
Yup. Mileage sucks! But what a fun truck...

2020 Ram Rebel 4x4
Fox 2.5 lift

ALT_F13

Reaction score
eTorque Rebel on TRX 35" wheels. 16 mpg on the highway when not towing, 9 mpg when towing a 7000lb trailer. I've considered switching to 32" regular highway tires, but they look terrible on Rebel.

Owsley

Reaction score
Have Rebel with the 3.0 in it. I replaced the Wranglers with a more modest Bridgestone Dueler Revo3 and I am now getting 25-26 mpg. 50/50 mix or highway and surface streets.

Users who are viewing this thread