5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas mileage of a 2021 ram 1500 5.7

Foranger

Reaction score
Hello new member here...I am interested in purchasing a 2021 ram 1500 quad cab built to serve edition with a 5.7 hemi non etorque motor...it has 20 inch tires on it love everything about the truck except I noticed that the avg gas mileage was only 10.3!!!! The truck only has 3500 miles on it,is this what they get for mpgs?? It has the 3.21 rear end also...I realize it's a big vehicle and not going to get mpgs of a prius...I am used to a 2019 chevy 1500 5.3 that's pretty decent in mileage..what do thses trucks get in the city mostly??? Thanx to anyone who can lend some experience on this.....

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Where did you see that gas mileage? Is this a vehicle that gets test driven on short drives? Then, yes, it's going to be that low.

Foranger

Reaction score
thanks BowersFJ I kinda figured they do drive nice and handle well though............

Foranger

Reaction score
Where did you see that gas mileage? Is this a vehicle that gets test driven on short drives? Then, yes, it's going to be that low.
It was on the dash where the average mpgs are shown...... not sure how many test drives the truck has been on,but you make a good point ,didnt think of that............

Foranger

Reaction score
thanks for the response and that makes sense totally....what does your truck average in city and stop and go travels??

cuda75

Reaction score
My tradesman off road package with non e torque hemi, 3.21 gears and Rebel wheels is averaging 17.2 MPG last fill up. My commute to work is mostly highway and I'm keeping it down to 70 mph since the gas went sky high. The 10 MPG your seeing is probably test drives, salesmans driving it like they stole it. Their never going to get great gas mileage as was said before being heavy, V8, non aerodynamic.

Foranger

Reaction score
thanks for the response..... I didnt even think of that pertaining to test drives??? and salesmans gunning it down the road just for the hell of it,makes me feel a little better about purchasing this Ram........

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is lower but close to my average city.
11-12 mpg
3.92 gear, you can see the rest of my options in my signature

Nels

Reaction score
I believe idle time may count in that equation too. If that truck is truly doing 10 mpg in mixed "normal" driving there is something seriously wrong with it. Anywhere from 13 to 17 seems about average for what I've seen on this forum. I'm in Wisconsin. Got around 14 this winter and now it's improving to around 17.

Foranger

Reaction score
I believe idle time may count in that equation too. If that truck is truly doing 10 mpg in mixed "normal" driving there is something seriously wrong with it. Anywhere from 13 to 17 seems about average for what I've seen on this forum. I'm in Wisconsin. Got around 14 this winter and now it's improving to around 17.
thanks for the response

SD Rebel

Reaction score
So many variables, but you have a baseline of your Chevy on the same cycle?

The 20" wheels I believe with tires is a 32" in diameter? That's probably a big part of it, but the fact you are only getting a little over 10 mpg seems really low. I mean, with my Rebel, I'm barely touch 13 mpg in mixed driving, but I got 33" A/T and 3.92 rear axle.

Try resetting your computer and going for a slow steady drive and see what mpg you get. It should drastically improve, if not, maybe there is something going on, doesn't hurt to check.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Hello new member here...I am interested in purchasing a 2021 ram 1500 quad cab built to serve edition with a 5.7 hemi non etorque motor...it has 20 inch tires on it love everything about the truck except I noticed that the avg gas mileage was only 10.3!!!! The truck only has 3500 miles on it,is this what they get for mpgs?? It has the 3.21 rear end also...I realize it's a big vehicle and not going to get mpgs of a prius...I am used to a 2019 chevy 1500 5.3 that's pretty decent in mileage..what do thses trucks get in the city mostly??? Thanx to anyone who can lend some experience on this.....
Man, 20 inch tires are tiny. I would be surprised the milage is that good. My rims are 18 inches alone. I didn't think you could fit wheels small enough for a 20 inch tire.

Anyway, like others have said, test drives, idle time etc ruin gas milage. Not that it's great to begin with, I get 13 to 14. If the hundred dollar commute doesn't float your boat, try something different and revisit in 2024.

Users who are viewing this thread