5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas mileage calculator

Pop's Ram

Reaction score
This post came from something that is a real question and is not intended to be a "knock" on Ram, but more of a "I had nothing else to think about one day while fueling up" question :unsure:.
Whenever I gas up my truck at the gas station, I always fill it. I always reset the gas mileage before turning off the engine so I can keep an eye on my mpg per tank. As soon as I restart, my calculated mileage is 4.7 mpg. Kind of a strange number, seeing how I am just starting, and it NEVER varies from 4.7 from tank to tank. In the meantime, the "mileage range" calculation for miles to empty is somewhere in the 300-400 mile range. Now, unless this new math is kicking my butt, that would indicate that I have a gas tank between 63.8 gallons and 85.1 gallons o_O (300 and 400 divided by 4.7). Also, as my mpg starts to normalize from 4.7 to reality (usually experience between 15 mpg up to 18 mpg per tank, depending on where I'm driving), the range doesn't update as frequently. So, when do I start to "trust" the range to empty? Not a real world problem, but a curiosity. Where are these internal calculations coming from?

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Your mpg average is calculated by your trip. Every time you rest it, it zeros it out and it has to re calculate which takes a few miles of driving.

Cycle between your trip 1 and 2 and you will see two different numbers. Unless you’re resetting both at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cajun_

Reaction score
This post came from something that is a real question and is not intended to be a "knock" on Ram, but more of a "I had nothing else to think about one day while fueling up" question :unsure:.
Whenever I gas up my truck at the gas station, I always fill it. I always reset the gas mileage before turning off the engine so I can keep an eye on my mpg per tank. As soon as I restart, my calculated mileage is 4.7 mpg. Kind of a strange number, seeing how I am just starting, and it NEVER varies from 4.7 from tank to tank. In the meantime, the "mileage range" calculation for miles to empty is somewhere in the 300-400 mile range. Now, unless this new math is kicking my butt, that would indicate that I have a gas tank between 63.8 gallons and 85.1 gallons o_O (300 and 400 divided by 4.7). Also, as my mpg starts to normalize from 4.7 to reality (usually experience between 15 mpg up to 18 mpg per tank, depending on where I'm driving), the range doesn't update as frequently. So, when do I start to "trust" the range to empty? Not a real world problem, but a curiosity. Where are these internal calculations coming from?
range calculation is based on a few factors but resetting the trip computer / mpg average wont do anything to effect it's calculation.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
range calculation is based on a few factors but resetting the trip computer / mpg average wont do anything to effect it's calculation.

It does actually.

As both your range and mpg average are based off the trip meters. It’s like this in most vehicles. That’s why there are two average mpg screens and two trip screens.

Reset your trip, and go floor it around town for a few days.

Then reset it and go down the highway.

Your mpg average and range will be 100% different.

If I reset my trip after a bunch of highway driving it will usually show around 400 miles to empty, if I’ve been driving around town a lot and do the same thing it shows around 340 miles to empty. Then goes up or down from there based on how I drive shortly after.

Obviously if you do the same route and driving over and over when you reset it, it won’t change much.

Push and hold OK button to reset ALL information

ae487d33c78f0b70b2eea12a6a6ed5a1.jpg

jmt8706

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I reset my "Trip A" after each fill up for a tank average. I don't reset the actual Mpg screen with the curved bar, to monitor the overall average.

Cajun_

Reaction score
It does actually.

As both your range and mpg average are based off the trip meters. It’s like this in most vehicles. That’s why there are two average mpg screens and two trip screens.

Reset your trip, and go floor it around town for a few days.

Then reset it and go down the highway.

Your mpg average and range will be 100% different.

If I reset my trip after a bunch of highway driving it will usually show around 400 miles to empty, if I’ve been driving around town a lot and do the same thing it shows around 340 miles to empty. Then goes up or down from there based on how I drive shortly after.

Obviously if you do the same route and driving over and over when you reset it, it won’t change much.

Push and hold OK button to reset ALL information

ae487d33c78f0b70b2eea12a6a6ed5a1.jpg

The range is calculated based on the last x number of miles. You driving around in the city vs highway is going to change the range estimate regardless of if you reset it or not.
This morning I drove 45 minutes to new Orleans and 45 minutes back on the interstate and I got back home with 5 more estimated miles of range than what I left with. Doesn't have anything to do with you resetting a number that's there for YOUR benefit and information, not the computers.

ferraiolo1

Reaction score
Never mind the range doesn’t change. I was wrong about that part.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread