5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas Mileage after first 1160 miles of driving truck... Sucks!

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
What combo? His truck is stock. It’s understood that the faster you go the more you burn, but he should not bee seeing extended Hwy ~13MPG regardless.

If he were to drive 55MPH, he should be seeing >20MPG. Prob close to mid 20s.
Longhorn (more options/weight), 3.92, 22's, 33 gals of fuel, 75 mph. I would expect better than 13, but not much better. Just for the hell of it, reset the ave fuel consumption next time you're on a long fwy run and see where you end up. It will take a while to level out. At least that way you can get an idea of straight hwy mpg. Mine ave around 18 for a mix of city and hwy; close to 21 all hwy; high 14's to low 15's all city; 3.21's. These things are a load to get moving, once there they're pretty impressive for what they are.

Caulk Boss

Reaction score
Geezus, I get 11.5 mpg hauling my 29' holiday trailer.....10.5mpg seems pretty low. When I'm not hauling, I'm around 18 or 19mpg around the city. I would say I only drive it hard when I need to, and try to drive it with the ECO light on. I try to run 92 octane in it....I will burn 94 when I'm towing. Man I hope things get better for you.
PS: I saw your other thread on your warranty issues with your Canadian truck. I had no idea about all of that myself. Living in Canada, the last few trucks I've sold the dealer always talks about 'buyers from the States' paying top dollar for used trucks. I hope you have some legal recourse. Wish you the best with that too man.
I appreciate it brotha. I sent in letter to the Iowa Attorney General and tomorrow will be calling some attorneys up there too see what they can do. I love the truck, but not everything wing with it already and the fact that I can't get it fixed without going out of pocket. Would never of bought it if I knew that🤷🏼‍♂️

GATORB8

Reaction score
i'm sorry but what? my truck has under 500 miles and i've had MDS kick in since day one in the right conditions..
Didn’t stop it all together in the beginning, but after there was a significant increase in frequency over the first thousand miles or two. I assumed it was due to pcm and tcm learning. Mine will come on all the time now with any slight downward grade regardless of speed, didn’t even know the ECO light was there for a while (it never came on).

This may have been tweaked by the factory since, I have a summer 18 build 19. At least early on there were several members with similar experiences.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Longhorn (more options/weight), 3.92, 22's, 33 gals of fuel, 75 mph. I would expect better than 13, but not much better. Just for the hell of it, reset the ave fuel consumption next time you're on a long fwy run and see where you end up. It will take a while to level out. At least that way you can get an idea of straight hwy mpg. Mine ave around 18 for a mix of city and hwy; close to 21 all hwy; high 14's to low 15's all city; 3.21's. These things are a load to get moving, once there they're pretty impressive for what they are.
He still should be at least in the 17s, even doing 75MPH.

I have just about the same configuration (33 gal tank, 22”s, pano roof, {but3.21 pumpkin}). Limited, with just about every option. I always have a set of tools on the bed, and a battery jump pack and plate carrier under the seat, so not the lightest truck around.

For reference, I just drove to Florida for spring break with three high school senior boys, luggage, water, snacks, laptops, etc, etc, and I still was in the high 17s. We also carried luggage from the second vehicle following behind (wife in SUV with three college girls).

So four men basically, with all that gear, doing 75-80 the whole way and still managed to get 17.8 MPH. This mirrors most other here on this site.

highgear2005

Reaction score
I notice a difference, with the brand of gas! I can lose 4mpg if I buy at the wrong store. 2019 5.7 screw, 3.92 rear end. Normally I’m about 17-18 mpg buy at a certain gas station. And that’s. 89 octane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RJS

Reaction score
Just for curiosity sake, have you hand calculated the MPG. My last Rams have been quite close to the indicated MPG but other here have reported significant differences. IAC if you are going to follow up you will need the actual numbers.

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
He still should be at least in the 17s, even doing 75MPH.

I have just about the same configuration (33 gal tank, 22”s, pano roof, {but3.21 pumpkin}). Limited, with just about every option. I always have a set of tools on the bed, and a battery jump pack and plate carrier under the seat, so not the lightest truck around.

For reference, I just drove to Florida for spring break with three high school senior boys, luggage, water, snacks, laptops, etc, etc, and I still was in the high 17s. We also carried luggage from the second vehicle following behind (wife in SUV with three college girls).

So four men basically, with all that gear, doing 75-80 the whole way and still managed to get 17.8 MPH. This mirrors most other here on this site.
I don't disagree with the 17 but, those with 3.21 seem to attain better, many times significantly better, mpg than the 3.92 geared equivalents. Sounds like the OP's truck has other issues, which may be compounding the problem.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Drove Dallas to Shreveport today, cruise set at 75mph, averaged 20.2 mpg over 190 miles. 20210506_155833.jpg

I think I can get better without cruise as its too aggressive when having to accelerate after traffic.

Slowed to 70mph coming back and saw 22 mpg

Last edited:

bucolic

Reaction score
Drove Dallas to Shreveport today, cruise set at 75mph, averaged 20.2 mpg View attachment 92612

I think I can get better without cruise as its too aggressive when having to accelerate after traffic.

Slowed to 70mph coming back and saw 22 mpg

Yeah, those 3.21 gears rock the mileage. I had a 2016 Big Horn and a 2019 Laramie with the 3.21's and hit 22 frequently. My current 2021 with the 3.92 gears isn't going to see that! I did hit 20.5 on it though on a recent trip on the 55 and 60 mph stretches of highway.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, those 3.21 gears rock the mileage. I had a 2016 Big Horn and a 2019 Laramie with the 3.21's and hit 22 frequently. My current 2021 with the 3.92 gears isn't going to see that! I did hit 20.5 on it though on a recent trip on the 55 and 60 mph stretches of highway.
Unless someone needs it for towing, there is no need for the 3.92. A 3.21 and Pedal Commander or similar will do the same thing for driving feel, without the mpg hit.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a similar experience with the 3.21. I’m sure I’ll have no problem towing with them either.

Runagun

Reaction score
Me babying it for 20 miles after fill up. Lol. Oh and I'm using non ethanol fuel. We'll see after I use this tank where it ends up at. 3.92 rear end also.

Attachments

• IMG_20210507_014412.jpg
    IMG_20210507_014412.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 55

Lerchcon

Reaction score
New here. Not new to ram. i have a 2020 limited with the 3.92 gears. Also a limited and in Vegas I’m getting 12-13 in town. I have had it for about a year now. In this time I have had it I have gone on several trips and the truck is a tank. But best in its class. So long as it continues to start.

St-na

Reaction score
My average is 13-17, which is 2-3 mpg less comparing with my previous 2014 Ram1500, same engine, transmission, gear ratio and same gas. I haven't change my drive habits as well. I expected better MPG from the new truck and I do care about it, because 3mpg difference gives me 100 more miles on my tank and convenience on the long trips. There must be some technical reasons for this difference. Computer MPG reading was confirmed by calculations.

Drewster

Reaction score
My average is 13-17, which is 2-3 mpg less comparing with my previous 2014 Ram1500, same engine, transmission, gear ratio and same gas. I haven't change my drive habits as well. I expected better MPG from the new truck and I do care about it, because 3mpg difference gives me 100 more miles on my tank and convenience on the long trips. There must be some technical reasons for this difference. Computer MPG reading was confirmed by calculations.
Your new truck is likely heavier, especially with things like that panoramic sunroof and 33 gallon tank.

Patamaran

Reaction score
21 bighorn Non-etorque, with about 1000 miles on the odo. I get around 18 mpg (30/70 city/hwy). Driving pure highway I get ~21 mpg. My advice is get up to speed relatively quickly (1/3-1/2 throttle), and once you get there, use the cruise control. if I don't use cruise, I easily lose 2 mpg. I've also noticed that idling significantly reduces the average mpg, oddly enough these trucks are really thirsty when they aren't doing anything.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My (within 45 minutes of being sold to Autonation) 2019 Limited 4x pano CC 3.21 straight hemi was one of the “good mileage” ones I got 20.2 going up into the mountains on this trip).

Whereas my son’s 2019 Ltd 4x 3.21 6’4 bed (no pano) straight hemi gets more like 13/17. Both have the stock Goodyear touring 22’s.
It seems like the trucks just vary somehow.

Attachments

• C7374EEA-E2E0-4168-8B40-AE62D55DEE9C.jpeg
    C7374EEA-E2E0-4168-8B40-AE62D55DEE9C.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 19

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
21 bighorn Non-etorque, with about 1000 miles on the odo. I get around 18 mpg (30/70 city/hwy). Driving pure highway I get ~21 mpg. My advice is get up to speed relatively quickly (1/3-1/2 throttle), and once you get there, use the cruise control. if I don't use cruise, I easily lose 2 mpg. I've also noticed that idling significantly reduces the average mpg, oddly enough these trucks are really thirsty when they aren't doing anything.
I agree with this. Accelerate briskly if possible and set the cruise once desired speed is reached. If you can get mds to activate that will help. No more remote start. Try it to idle for long periods. Also, every car I pass at WOT results in a .1 mpg loss. So I try to avoid WOT as much as possible as well.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My (within 45 minutes of being sold to Autonation) 2019 Limited 4x pano CC 3.21 straight hemi was one of the “good mileage” ones I got 20.2 going up into the mountains on this trip).

Whereas my son’s 2019 Ltd 4x 3.21 6’4 bed (no pano) straight hemi gets more like 13/17. Both have the stock Goodyear touring 22’s.
It seems like the trucks just vary somehow.
Yep, the ones that get the crappy MPG are actually putting out more HP & Torque. Otherwise, where is the extra fuel going?

Users who are viewing this thread