5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas Mileage after first 1160 miles of driving truck... Sucks!

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I haven’t towed yet. Prob gonna run 89 for that trip when I do.

Caulk Boss

Reaction score
Well, 22" wheels are 32" in tire size, not that far off the Rebel's 33" tires. Factor in 3.92 rear axle and you are done with anything resembling good mpg.

If you had the smaller wheels/tires and 3.21 rear axle, you could be in for over 20 mpg on easy highway driving. But your axle ratio and tire package are going to sap mpg.
Ahhhh makes sense..

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ahhhh makes sense..

To add a note here, FCA isn't very truthful with their MPG ratings on their trucks. The EPA allows you to blanket issue mpg ratings on different trims, though FCA could have issued an exclusion for specific trims they think would not meet those mpg figures and lower them, but they choose not to.

So the Rebel and 22" wheeled trims with 3.92 rear axles have the exact same stated mpg as 18" wheeled 3.21 axled trucks. I knew what to expect when I bought my Rebel, but not everyone understands tire size and axle ratios to mpg. If they rely on those manufacturer mpg ratings, it's going to be eye opening at the pump for some folks.

It's downright fraud in my opinion that FCA has the nerve to put a 15 city / 22 highway rating on a freaking Rebel :) In reality, it's like 13 city / 17 highway!

Cgo

Reaction score
'21 1500 Limited eTorque Hemi with 3.92s. 22" wheels. I have about 7000 miles on the odo. 100 mile daily commute on highway and not babied. Average 72 mph and I get 17 mpg. Hit 18 mpg once at lower speeds. I only run Tier 1 89 octane. 13 mpg seems low.

I regret not getting another Ecodiesel. I miss 30 mpgs.

Last edited:

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2020 Laramie with 33” LT E rated tires gets 18-19 on the hwy easily. Towed a 4800 lb camper through the mountains round trip for 200 miles this past weekend and averaged 11 mpg. I don’t understand how some of you can get such bad fuel mileage. The only thing I can think of is those stuck in stop and go city traffic, I don’t do very much of that.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
My 2020 Laramie with 33” LT E rated tires gets 18-19 on the hwy easily. Towed a 4800 lb camper through the mountains round trip for 200 miles this past weekend and averaged 11 mpg. I don’t understand how some of you can get such bad fuel mileage. The only thing I can think of is those stuck in stop and go city traffic, I don’t do very much of that.

You have a 3.92 rear axle? Also, do you live in the "flat" part of Colorado or the hilly part, because that can make a huge different in mpg.

Hyfire

Reaction score
MDS makes a big difference. On my ‘21 ETorque I get great mileage at 70mph, but awful around 75mph. How your geared and your wheels will determine your sweet spot.

Driving style makes a huge difference too. Especially in city.

I take the same route every single day. I can average 18 or down to 13.5, depending on some VERY small, controllable variations.

These things are super heavy and take some finesse and compromise to get decent MPG.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
MDS makes a big difference. On my ‘21 ETorque I get great mileage at 70mph, but awful around 75mph. How your geared and your wheels will determine your sweet spot.

Driving style makes a huge difference too. Especially in city.

I take the same route every single day. I can average 18 or down to 13.5, depending on some VERY small, controllable variations.

These things are super heavy and take some finesse and compromise to get decent MPG.

Absolutely, quite a few variables and change in one makes a huge difference with these truck/engine combos. I have a 3.92, 33" tires and live in a hilly region with lots of elevation changes. But if I can drive a flat road at 70 mph, I can get close to 19 mpg highway.

redneck

Reaction score
I know I'm regretting not going with the 6.2 10 Speed. I'm about to start working everyday again, and I have to pull my trailer everyday.. Not looking forward to seeing the gas mileage pulling my 6x10 enclosed trailer
me too i just didnt like any of their interior colors i even priced out katzskins leather seats to change the color. should have gone that rout

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Use the adaptive cruise. It babies the truck MPG pretty well and also kicks in the ECO (MDS) pretty well. I love my MPG since I went from 14.2 with my 2007 Ram Hemi 3.92, to 16ish with the new truck which is also Hemi 3.92 but tows 1600+ Lbs more with much more luxury, comfort, tech, pano view, and air ride. For comparison I have just over 48,000 Miles.

Last edited:

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With 5k miles on mine, I get 11.5-12.5 MPG with almost all in town driving.
But even when I do get on the interstate, my overall MPG per tank never gets above 13MPG.
All hand calculated. Don't use the on board computer; it lies.

bpwj76

Reaction score
I bought my truck CPO in January with 14,800 miles and the average mpg showed to be 14.7 from the previous owner. Don't know if he towed often with it or just had a lead foot, but my average when not towing is 18.2 with 70% of that in town. I can usually get the overly-optimistic computer to stay around 19.5-20.0 mpg, then calculated upon fillup is usually somewhere around 18.5.

I guess there's hope that your truck will learn your more conservative driving habits like mine did. If indeed your habits are conservative.

Attachments

• IMG_1127.jpg
    IMG_1127.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 28

bpwj76

Reaction score
With 5k miles on mine, I get 11.5-12.5 MPG with almost all in town driving.
But even when I do get on the interstate, my overall MPG per tank never gets above 13MPG.
All hand calculated. Don't use the on board computer; it lies.
Yup, the onboard computer is a big fat liar. Usually by one mpg.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I bought my truck CPO in January with 14,800 miles and the average mpg showed to be 14.7 from the previous owner. Don't know if he towed often with it or just had a lead foot, but my average when not towing is 18.2 with 70% of that in town. I can usually get the overly-optimistic computer to stay around 19.5-20.0 mpg, then calculated upon fillup is usually somewhere around 18.5.

I guess there's hope that your truck will learn your more conservative driving habits like mine did. If indeed your habits are conservative.
I doubt that was what the previous owner was getting if you're seeing over 18 mpg. Your truck was probably test driven, as well as moved around the lot before you bought it. That will negatively affect the reported overall mpg.

bpwj76

Reaction score
I doubt that was what the previous owner was getting if you're seeing over 18 mpg. Your truck was probably test driven, as well as moved around the lot before you bought it. That will negatively affect the reported overall mpg.
Duh... good point.

Users who are viewing this thread