5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas is Gone

EJSTX

Reaction score
My family and I arrived back in DFW from vacation this past Friday to find our car with zero gas. It was parked at terminal D for five days, and there was NOTHING left in the tank. Now I know that one may think I forgot to fill up, but I did the day before to prepare for the trip to the airport. As we are waiting for AAA to help us out, I check to see if the fuel door locks. Nope. Wow...really?!?! Two-fold question....1- Anyone have their tank siphoned and is there a decent locking cap? Many options, but is any one of them better than the others?

What's the chance you accidentally hit remote start on your fob as you walked away, or accidentally left the engine running when you parked?

I believe Genos garage makes one. I don’t have one but if you’re worried about it happening again check them out

What's the chance you accidentally hit remote start on your fob as you walked away, or accidentally left the engine running when you parked?

Even if you do that, your engine will automatically turn off after 15 minutes if you don't push the start button.

Also, a neat feature, if you use your remote start after the low fuel light has been activated, you truck will immediately turn off after 5 seconds.

As for the OP, it's likely someone siphoned the fuel, if not from the filler hole, which can be circumvented by a deep style siphon designed for capless systems. Or they got it from the fuel hose below the truck or drilled the tank.

Even if you do that, your engine will automatically turn off after 15 minutes if you don't push the start button.

Also, a neat feature, if you use your remote start after the low fuel light has been activated, you truck will immediately turn off after 5 seconds.

As for the OP, it's likely someone siphoned the fuel, if not from the filler hole, which can be circumvented by a deep style siphon designed for capless systems. Or they got it from the fuel hose below the truck or drilled the tank.
Ok, so that rules out the remote start.

But he could have left the engine idling and that would have run it dry, no?

Don't get me wrong, I know people can be turds and steal things like fuel, but that's not something you'd expect in the airport terminal parking garage.

We’ve got this on both our Rams…protects against fuel theft but also from teens sticking a water hose down the filler neck like they did a few years ago to several vehicles in our neighborhood.

Thanks for that info NorthStar.

Definetely didn’t leave the truck running, and the tank holds gas since, but not a drop in there when we returned. Good point about the hoses, I will take a look to be safe.

Prob zero. Engine auto shuts down after 15 min when remote-starting. Prob to prevent these kinds of situations.

Cheers,

My family and I arrived back in DFW from vacation this past Friday to find our car with zero gas. It was parked at terminal D for five days, and there was NOTHING left in the tank. Now I know that one may think I forgot to fill up, but I did the day before to prepare for the trip to the airport. As we are waiting for AAA to help us out, I check to see if the fuel door locks. Nope. Wow...really?!?! Two-fold question....1- Anyone have their tank siphoned and is there a decent locking cap? Many options, but is any one of them better than the others?
Check with the airport authority as there is likely video of it. Since 9-11 they video everything at airports.

Thanks for that info NorthStar.

Definetely didn’t leave the truck running, and the tank holds gas since, but not a drop in there when we returned. Good point about the hoses, I will take a look to be safe.

How long did it run before it died when you first started it up?

It is most likely employees of the parking lot stealing gas, you should of reported it and also made the police aware as well.

Ok, so that rules out the remote start.

But he could have left the engine idling and that would have run it dry, no?

Don't get me wrong, I know people can be turds and steal things like fuel, but that's not something you'd expect in the airport terminal parking garage.

Sure, that is possible. But what's the likely hood he parked, left his engine on and locked everything up and walked away vs. someone stealing his fuel?

Sure, that is possible. But what's the likely hood he parked, left his engine on and locked everything up and walked away vs. someone stealing his fuel?
I've had coworkers do that when they are distracted. One guy showed up, worked until lunch and his car was still running when he went to go eat.

I've had coworkers do that when they are distracted. One guy showed up, worked until lunch and his car was still running when he went to go eat.

Sure, I can see that happening, but it's probably rarer than fuel being stolen. I've never personally seen anyone forgetting to turn off their car. But I know of several incidents of fuel being stolen, especially if they know cars are going to be sitting there for a while, like an airport.

If you factor in likely causes, leaving his engine on is definitely less likely than his fuel being stolen at a long-term parking lot. That being said, it's worth asking the OP for sure.

If he did leave it running - I’ve done it a couple of times in my old age and noticed it as soon as I was walking away from my truck - wouldn’t he most likely have returned to a dead battery too? I’ve had my tires/ rims stolen and was once keyed at IAH so I know the airport parking lots are not the most secure.

Check with the airport authority as there is likely video of it. Since 9-11 they video everything at airports.
You are right about this. They know everything that is going on.

I parked in a satellite lot at Dulles once and forgot to write down the lot. After a week of alcohol abuse in the Caribbean I couldn't remember to save my butt. The shuttle bus driver looked up after I rode everywhere with him and he knew the deal. When I told him I didn't remember he just called in my tag. They knew where it was. Thousands of cars in a dozen lots. This guy took me right to it.

Feel lucky thats all they took, DFW has a problem with long term parking, a story about stolen cars and fuel was on the news not too long ago

Does the truck honk at you when you walk away with the key in your pocket and the truck still running? Both of my Ford’s do, but I haven’t checked the Ram yet.

Feel lucky thats all they took, DFW has a problem with long term parking, a story about stolen cars and fuel was on the news not too long ago

I used to park in remote covered parking there on an almost weekly basis.

One time, I was sitting on a plane in Boston, having just boarded for the return flight to DFW. The gentleman across the aisle from me received a call from DFW security at that moment letting him know that his brand new Lexus (still with temporary tags) had been heavily damaged in an apparent hit and run…in the same parking lot!

I started using Uber exclusively for commuting to the airport after that.

Just caught up....

We did alert the police and an officer came out to the car. Relayed the story and they asked if we wanted to file a report and we declined. Just making them aware. Not much interest on their part.

Starter engaged but zero firing. That’s the odd part. There weren’t even fumes. What would the chances be of driving around the garage finding a spot and then, and only then, running completely out of gas?

2021 Ram Laramie with SW package does not honk when you walk away with the key.

There are a few certainties. The three of us were not in a rush and no way left the truck running. Especially pulling three bags from the bed. I got gas the day before and had over 3/4 on a 33gal tank.

This was our first trip since towing our TT to Austin and having someone put a 9mm into it while we were driving. Totally unprovoked with two kids in the back. May need to stay home for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back