5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gas cap lock or fuel door lock?

techy11

Reaction score
I was surprised the 2019 RAM Rebel did not have a locking gas cap or at least a fuel door lock that locks with the rest of the doors. In fact the Rebel has no gas cap at all with the self sealing nozzle.

I would like to provide better fuel security with either a locking Billet style door or at least a locking gas cap. Dont want anything introduced into the fuel or any siphoning to occur. I know less of a concern with low fuel prices, but I have heard of vandals destroying engines before. I was just suprised a high end truck did not have this feature.
I have also had issues fueling with this self sealing nozzle with pump clicking off easily and prematurely. Any others have same issue?

Does anyone have anything they have tried or can reccommend for locking fuel area?

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I was surprised the 2019 RAM Rebel did not have a locking gas cap or at least a fuel door lock that locks with the rest of the doors. In fact the Rebel has no gas cap at all with the self sealing nozzle.

I would like to provide better fuel security with either a locking Billet style door or at least a locking gas cap. Dont want anything introduced into the fuel or any siphoning to occur. I know less of a concern with low fuel prices, but I have heard of vandals destroying engines before. I was just suprised a high end truck did not have this feature.
I have also had issues fueling with this self sealing nozzle with pump clicking off easily and prematurely. Any others have same issue?

Does anyone have anything they have tried or can reccommend for locking fuel area?
Yes, others have had issues with the nozzle shutting off. It is somewhere on the forum, fortunately I did not have the problem and unfortunately I do not know the name or nature of the thread. Try a search here but also use google, many times google worked better and sent you to the forum thread.

M1kefries

Reaction score
Wow yea never thought of that. Just assumed it locked the fuel door with the door locks. So of course I had to try and doors locked but fuel door not.

Six_Swix

Reaction score
Talked to dealer about this. I dont know much about it but apparently there is a built in bladder to protect from introduction of contaminants and siphoning. Dont know how well it works though

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Your roadside kit under the seatback I think comes with a special nozzle required to be used in order to add fuel from a container. I'm assuming the dealer is correct and the mechanism is designed in a way to prevent your typical siphoning method. Though most scum bags apparently just drill a hole in the fuel tank. Costing you $$$ to steals a few bucks in fuel.

It should be noted, the system has been around for many years, especially with Ford. I remember in 2015, when I purchased my F150 with the capless system, the salesmen told me it's practically impossible to get foreign matter into the fuel system, like dirt, small stones, sugar, etc.

Millions of vehicles now with capless systems, I'm assuming it really isn't a problem since I haven't heard anyone complain about it.

Users who are viewing this thread