5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Garbage towing numbers

Cudapower

Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that the empty weight numbers on the Ram towing charts are really off. They state a range of empty weights for Laramie's of 4900 to roughly 5200. I had been figuring my trailer weight off of the heavy end of that number. My truck actually weighs 6100 lbs empty. That really cuts my actual towing capacity short. If I put 500lbs of people and cargo in the truck, I will barely have 500lbs for trailer tongue weight.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Those are for a no option truck.

At ~6,100 lbs that is about the heaviest 5th Gen truck there is available with only around 1,000 lbs payload.

I’m guessing yours is pretty loaded with most option boxes checked.

Last edited:

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed that the empty weight numbers on the Ram towing charts are really off. They state a range of empty weights for Laramie's of 4900 to roughly 5200. I had been figuring my trailer weight off of the heavy end of that number. My truck actually weighs 6100 lbs empty. That really cuts my actual towing capacity short. If I put 500lbs of people and cargo in the truck, I will barely have 500lbs for trailer tongue weight.
Yup, looking at those charts are going to be an absolute maximum for each trim.
If you have options like the sunroof, multi function tailgate and ram boxes they cut into the payload quite a bit.

A lightly optioned Laramie can have over 1500lbs of payload, comfortable and usable!

Cudapower

Reaction score
Well mine is not totally loaded, it must be the 4 wheel drive. I dont have Ram boxes, sunroof or the tail gate. Just a canvas box cover, hemi, 4 wheel drive, 33 gal tank is the biggest weight add.

Cudapower

Reaction score
Those are for a no option truck.

At ~6,100 lbs that is about the heaviest 5th Gen truck there is available with only around 1,000 lbs payload.

I’m guessing yours is pretty loaded with most option boxes checked.
I read your truck description, do you know what it weighs?

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
So I’m not positive if this weight is 100% accurate, but my truck with everything I’ve done to it was about 5900lbs when I weighed it if my math was right. And I’d say besides sunroof, multi tailgate and Ram boxes I have one of the heaviest combos you could get on these trucks and I have some heavy mods too.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The options really cut into the payload, it's hard to believe but the scale doesn't lie. For comparison my lightly optioned Bighorn quad cab weighs around 5,700 with me in it, 20ish gallons of fuel, 33 inch E rated tires, and all the crap under the back seat. Door jamb indicates the payload is 1794 lbs. 4x4 Tradesman Hemi's are above 1800

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well mine is not totally loaded, it must be the 4 wheel drive. I dont have Ram boxes, sunroof or the tail gate. Just a canvas box cover, hemi, 4 wheel drive, 33 gal tank is the biggest weight add.

Something isn’t adding up. Without those features you can’t be at 6,100 lbs base curb weight in stock form

What does your payload sticker show?

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Something isn’t adding up. Without those features you can’t be at 6,100 lbs base curb weight

What does your payload sticker show?
Agreed, unless you added something like a toolbox without saying anything. Or you just like hauling around your set of olympic weights for deadlifts on the go.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For reference, my Limited crew cab (options shown below) has a payload of 1317#. As you can see, it's a diesel and I do not have the MFT, Sunroof, or Rambox, but do have everything else.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you take the maximum payload off the sticker on your door jamb and subtract it from 7100 for the gasoline trucks and 7200 for the diesel versions you will get your curb weight.

mine for example is 7200-1324=5876. These trucks aren’t lightweights with a few options added on.

Once you know the curb weight you can then subtract it from the GCWR which for my truck is 15600 which gives me 9724 max tow weight.

Last edited:

Limited2021

Reaction score
Took my limited on a trip this summer with me, the wife and 3 kids in the cab. Loaded the box up with luggage and few other things then rolled the cover down. We have a grain scale at our local elevator with display out front so you can see what your weigh is so I drove over it out of curiosity sake. I was 300 pounds over on weight according to the door jam sticker. What the heck would a guy do if he had a camper or a trailer with these trucks? I can't imagine having to buy a 3/4 ton just to pull a trailer on vacation. It really seems like they are under rated on weight for what a person could actually haul.

silver billet

Reaction score
Took my limited on a trip this summer with me, the wife and 3 kids in the cab. Loaded the box up with luggage and few other things then rolled the cover down. We have a grain scale at our local elevator with display out front so you can see what your weigh is so I drove over it out of curiosity sake. I was 300 pounds over on weight according to the door jam sticker. What the heck would a guy do if he had a camper or a trailer with these trucks? I can't imagine having to buy a 3/4 ton just to pull a trailer on vacation. It really seems like they are under rated on weight for what a person could actually haul.

You have a loaded limited, you're going to have a truck that is severely limited in capability compared to a tradesman/bighorn. It is what it is. You bought a huge, comfortable, luxury car, not a work truck.

Plenty of us are pulling larger trailers with 1500's, you just need to buy carefully. Over 8000 pound TT is a bad idea, in any half ton (IMHO).

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You have a loaded limited, you're going to have a truck that is severely limited in capability compared to a tradesman/bighorn.

Not necessarily severely limited just because of trim, it really comes down to individual options.

A similar equipped Big Horn will only be marginally much better. In the end we really limited simply because we use 1/2 ton trucks

10A9C1EB-877D-4356-B3CE-A8026BD0DD4A.png
8BEA60E0-4677-4D16-A196-313F545186FA.png

Limited2021

Reaction score
To me it really seems like these trucks could handle more load that what they are rated for I guess.

silver billet

Reaction score
Not necessarily severely limited just because of trim, it really comes down to individual options.

A similar equipped Big Horn will only be marginally much better. In the end we really limited simply because we use 1/2 ton trucks

View attachment 102146
View attachment 102147

Not sure where the data for that bighorn "max payload" spec is coming from, but my "level 2" bighorn (so pretty much loaded for the trim) has 1750 pounds of payload; and I have 4x4 crew cab as well.

silver billet

Reaction score
To me it really seems like these trucks could handle more load that what they are rated for I guess.

It's possible, I also think more of us (pickup truck owners in general) are becoming more and more aware of these specs and towing safely. When I was a kid nobody in my circle of family or friends knew what payload or GVWR was, really; you just stood back, eyeballed the ole back end and said "yup I'm good".

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure where the data for that bighorn "max payload" spec is coming from, but my "level 2" bighorn (so pretty much loaded for the trim) has 1750 pounds of payload; and I have 4x4 crew cab as well.

6C1A2B07-B1F9-4AAE-AC60-A0DCF3B5BBE1.png

Users who are viewing this thread