5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

garage door opener (homelink) questions

A-TEAM

Reaction score
I was wonding if anyone knows the power scheme on the homelink garage door opener? Im wondering if the garage door opener stays on all the time? I noticed it still works with the ignition and acc off. Does anyone know if it times out? Like stays active for 15 minutes or something then shuts down? I was thinking about security concerns and it seems if it just stays active all the time it would be easy to break a window to gain access to opening a garage. I dont recall seeing this answered in the manual either. 19 bighorn hemi.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was wonding if anyone knows the power scheme on the homelink garage door opener? Im wondering if the garage door opener stays on all the time? I noticed it still works with the ignition and acc off. Does anyone know if it times out? Like stays active for 15 minutes or something then shuts down? I was thinking about security concerns and it seems if it just stays active all the time it would be easy to break a window to gain access to opening a garage. I dont recall seeing this answered in the manual either. 19 bighorn hemi.
I don’t know about timeout, but I love this feature. My wife’s car doesn’t go active until you start it (or go to Run), which is not something I want to do in a closed garage.

magic280z

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's is always on, but I read it is disabled if the alarm goes off. Better than a clip on opener that works all the time and someone could steal.

Sam

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

GaryT

Reaction score
It is disabled when the truck is locked, according to the manual.

Klinger

Reaction score
Can these be programmed to open a security gate like at our RV park. They never seem to have enough remotes to hand out and I’m tired of having to key in a code

Kob0583

Reaction score
If you can get a remote to use to program it should work, did it the gate at my apartment complex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eyeguy

Reaction score
Hope this isnt a hijack of this thread just thought it would be better to keep this question in the same thread rather than starting new?
2020 laramie new last week.
Cleared remote buttons by pressing and holding button 1 and 3 til indicator light flashed.
Programmed button number 1 for my raynor opener. went as expected. Attempted numbers 2 and 3 at my shop linear opener brand but cant get past first step of holding down remote button and desired universal button. Linear openers were new in about 2012 so not old. Any Ideas of what to try next?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Can these be programmed to open a security gate like at our RV park. They never seem to have enough remotes to hand out and I’m tired of having to key in a code
I don't see why not. I have both the security gate and garage programmed on mine.

Bobkid

Reaction score
Hope this isnt a hijack of this thread just thought it would be better to keep this question in the same thread rather than starting new?
2020 laramie new last week.
Cleared remote buttons by pressing and holding button 1 and 3 til indicator light flashed.
Programmed button number 1 for my raynor opener. went as expected. Attempted numbers 2 and 3 at my shop linear opener brand but cant get past first step of holding down remote button and desired universal button. Linear openers were new in about 2012 so not old. Any Ideas of what to try next?

try this - http://nortekcontrol.knowledgebase.co/article.php?id=321

A-TEAM

Reaction score
I tested it today, when off and locked with the keyfob it disables the homelink and also disables the unlock button on the doors. Thanks for the insight guys!

eyeguy

Reaction score
Bobkid, Wow thanks for the link I would have never gotten it. I will give that a try tomorrow.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I tested it today, when off and locked with the keyfob it disables the homelink and also disables the unlock button on the doors. Thanks for the insight guys!
Yep. This is what you want, in case you park on your driveway, and truck gets broken into, to prevent anyone from opening your garage door or gate.

DBertolette

Reaction score
I have the Bighorn edition but unfortunately does not have the factory alarm sytem when the truck locks. The garage door buttons stay active, even when locked. Asked the dealer if the system can be reprogrammed so the buttons are inactive if the truck is off, but they said it cannot be done. Has anyone heard different?

mmcbeat

Reaction score
I think the homelink opener is like the visor clip ons, they don’t draw any power until the button is pressed.

Users who are viewing this thread