5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

G2 Caliper Paint (Timing) Question

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
So I got a caliper paint set, been waiting to use it. My question is about curing time/sitting time. Is it 24 hrs from start or 24 hours from finish? I'm thinking 24 from finish. If I finish at 4-5p Sat, I should be good Mon morning. Does it matter if it rains Sun?

BostonBLS

Reaction score
This was one of the biggest pain in the butt projects I have ever done. I wouldn’t risk messing it up. I’m also a perfectionist and I think the only way to truly get this perfect is to remove calipers and do on a bench. But that’s another whole level.

What I did was pull and hang calipers but kept the brackets installed. Good thing is once the wheels are on you can’t see the imperfections.

Rebel_driver

Reaction score
I did the G2 on my 2013 highlander way back in the day. I did it shortly after I purchased it brand new and still took the time to prep the components I was coating. After about 3-4 years the paint started to flake off as water got underneath and reacted with the aluminum. Didn’t hold up as well as I was hoping.

BostonBLS

Reaction score
Isn't it much easier to just install caliper covers?
Yes way easier. But to me doesn’t look as nice, more expensive, and won’t work with the rebel wheels (min 20” diameter).

That being said on my next vehicle if they would fit I’d get them.

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
This was one of the biggest pain in the butt projects I have ever done. I wouldn’t risk messing it up. I’m also a perfectionist and I think the only way to truly get this perfect is to remove calipers and do on a bench. But that’s another whole level.

What I did was pull and hang calipers but kept the brackets installed. Good thing is once the wheels are on you can’t see the imperfections.
I'm considering removing pads, re-installing calipers (without pads) masking and painting like that. Yea, sure taking the calipers off would be the best way, but I dont wanna open my lines and then have to bleed the system.

Users who are viewing this thread