5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FYI Rear bumper be very careful backing up.

Cattail cruncher

Reaction score
The rear bumper on my 2019 1500 is paper thin and mostly plastic bumped into a pole and it dented the chrome. The chrome is paper thin. You may ask how did this happen, forgot to turn on my rear sensors after towing the boat, so I did not get the warning and did not see it in the camera. I looked under the bumper and was shocked at the plastid and thin metal holding the thing together. Just a FYI always be careful when backing up.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea, I noticed when washing the truck that I can easily flex the metal with my hand at least the parts that wrap around the sides.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's probably a good thing. The more the bumper crushes and aborbs the bumps, the less the rest of the truck feels.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yep, weight reduction... like my fake chrome wheels on my Ford Edge, just sprayed chrome “paint”... really!
I had a 1956 Buick Century wagon, took the front bumper assembly in to get rechromed, it took 2 men and a boy to lift it!

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"it took 2 men and a boy to lift it!" You mean, like, Charlie Sheen and Two and A Half Men?

HKP7PSP

Reaction score
Someone clipped the left side of my rear bumper in traffic a couple of weeks ago. His car needs a new fender, bumper and headlight... I had some scratches on the bumper after I wiped off the paint transfer. It handled that perfectly. As another poster mentioned, some flex is a good thing.

Cattail cruncher

Reaction score
Well, mine actually pushed in 1/4 " and stayed there if you look underneath there is no flex just cheap shat metal, so they saved a few pounds there. The new ram cast alum running boards are stronger than that bumper and weigh 40 LBS each. Anywho cary on brothers and sisters.

Glenn54

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I had just bought a new 2012 Tundra and was backing up in a parking garage. I was watching the backup camera and mirrors, still backed into a truck behind me. My bumper was bent and I was sick about it. No damage to the other truck since I hit the hitch. Left a note with my info anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread