5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Funny smell after towing - maybe the factory OEM tires ?

Reaction score
I’ve had a bunch of trucks throughout my life ranging from 1 diesel to a lot of gas engines and towed stuff with most all of them. I recently purchased a new 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi with factory Firestone tires and just got back from picking up a new heavy travel trailer. I constantly monitored the evic and all operating systems were normal the entire 200 mile trip towing 9100 lbs. I stopped twice during the trip and both times I smelled what my previous experience tells me was a hot transmission or brakes, and maybe rubber. I checked everything I could and nothing was out of the ordinary. I don‘t recall this happening with the diesel 2500 but I have CRS which affects my ability to remember..:) Has anyone experienced this and found out what it was ? I’m wondering if it isn’t the factory Firestone tires heating up under the pressure and friction. The pin weight of the trailer is 1130 lbs, thats heavy. Overall the truck did great with the gas engine. I averaged around 9 mpg running around 65 mph on I-95 and lower speeds on secondary rounds.

I’m going to post the same in other sections where else I think it fits. Looking forward to hearing what you guys think.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Could be stuff burning off the exhaust pipes? Mine smelled funky for at least month. Not sure what new exhausts are coated with but when it burns off it smells terrible

Reaction score
Thanks Scram1500 - definitely something I hope...that it stops. I’m glad to hear yours did. It’s still very new so what you’re saying is very possible. I’ve driven company cars at their limits a lot and know what a hot transmission and brakes smell like. This was akin to that but the truck‘s systems monitoring on the EVIC showed everything within normal range. I was amazed the temps were so low given the fact I was towing over 9,000 lbs with approx 800 lbs payload. The 6.4 does the job and the engine was working between 2 & 3k RPMs for a lot of the trip. thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread