5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Funny Little Heart Attack

JHull

Reaction score
So I was driving to work this morning very early in my new 2024 Rebel. I put this gel on my gums and about half-way to work I need to swish and spit it out. I wait until a red light and get after it, just like I used to do in my 2016 Rebel. Open the door, spit, done.

Well I tried that this morning. Had the truck in Drive, foot on the brake. When I closed the door and tried to pull away from the light, the TRUCK WAS OFF, but the button was still in Run!! Oh ****! So I take my foot off the brake, press the button until it's full off, and try to restart the truck. People are going absolute nuts around me, honking, flashing their highbeams, going around me. It was mayhem. ON with the hazards. I get the truck restarted. Problem solved. NOT!! I hit the gas to pull way and the truck would only go about 2mph. Didn't know what the hell was happening. Molly Hatchet is still blasting on the tunes. Now I'm completely in the middle of the intersection. I let off the gas to coast across and SCREETCH, the truck comes to a slam stop! WTF!! I hit the gas again to get out of the intersection and barely make it across. What brakes are ON???? My foot is not on the brake! So I throw on my glasses and realized the parking brake is on! I didn't put it on! I'm rooting around in the dark for the latch to disengage the PB. Found it!! Pulled it, and clunk, the hood opens!! FUUUUUUU@K!! I finally look down and see a button, press it. now the dash turns red because I'm in drive with the effen hood open! Jesus H Christ on a pogo stick!!! I get off the road, shut the hood and drive away, with the smell of burning brakes fully overpowering my new truck smell!

What the hell caused the truck to shut the engine off and engage the parking brake??? All I did was open the driver door with the engine running and in Drive. Seat belt was on and my foot was on the brake!
I kind of understand how autopilot flies planes into the ground sometimes!

banditsc

Reaction score
The truck will automatically put it in park and apply the ebrake if you open the door while it's in drive. You have stop start so the engine probably would have been off. You can thank the Star Trek actor that killed himself in his Jeep because he didn't put it in park before exiting the vehicle.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If that's normal operation then my truck is broken. The "Safe Hold" function should not activate with you foot on the brake and your seatbelt buckled. It definitely should not turn your truck off.

JHull

Reaction score
If that's normal operation then my truck is broken. The "Safe Hold" function should not activate with you foot on the brake and your seatbelt buckled. It definitely should not turn your truck off.
It really caught me off guard. I would not have expected all that from simply opening the driver door in D with my foot on the break and seatbelt buckled.

GMetal

Reaction score

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For what it's worth, my truck doesn't shut off either. I open my door all the time at a stoplight with my seatbelt buckled, and nothing happens. Granted, I don't have A/S/S on my truck either.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It really caught me off guard. I would not have expected all that from simply opening the driver door in D with my foot on the break and seatbelt buckled.

You shouldn't' have expected it because it should not have happened with your seat belt buckled.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This happened to me many times. I have a habit of opening my door while backing into my driveway before coming to a complete stop. Hate those stupid “safety” features.🤬

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The reason it does is because some idiot got killed and it cost the manufacturer $$$$$. Read the book.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The reason it does is because some idiot got killed and it cost the manufacturer $$$$$. Read the book.
The settlement should have been a sympathy card for the family and a Darwin Award headstone for their dearly departed. Alas, things don’t work that way.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Sorry, but you are the one that needs to actually read the owners manual.

According to the owners manual and the way my truck functions the "Safe Hold" and AutoPark features should not occur if the seat belt is buckled. Also, even when it does work, it should not shut the truck off.

Since you haven't actually read the manual, I've posted the applicable sections below.

Note: Neither AutoPark or Safe Hold should function if the seat belt is buckled.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread