5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fun, simple tow comparison (e-torque)

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well I got the trailer on the Ram today and did a comparison to my Ford Expedition. Did a few acceleration runs for each category and then averaged them out for each vehicle. Would like to have had a couple of friends of mine bring their trucks over also, they would have but they are both gone till next week and my lift goes on my truck Monday so it wouldn’t be a apples to apples comparison so to speak. One of them has a 2018 F-150 with the 5.0, the other a 2015 Ram 1500with the Hemi and 3:21 gears, anyway, here we go!

Both vehicles towed the same trailer down the same stretch of flat road. Both vehicles in tow/haul mode and at normal operating temperature. Both are completely stock including tire size. All vehicles and trailer were weighed on the same local truck scales. Trailer weight: 7,480 pounds

‘17 Expedition EL ‘19 Ram crew cab 6’4 box
Gross vehicle weight: 6,260 pounds 5,940 pounds
Engine: 3.5 eco-boost 5.7 Hemi e-torque
Rear axle ratio: 3:73 3:92
Tranny: 6 speed 8 speed
GCW: 13,740 pounds 13,420 pounds
(Total weight of vehicle and trailer)
5-60 mph acceleration: 14.8 seconds 13.5 seconds
30-60 mph acceleration: 11.26 seconds 10.8 seconds

I did not start from a standstill, that’s why it is a 5mph rolling start. I am not a media group that gets to pick a truck off the lot, run the crap out of it, then take it back. I own these and didn’t want to break them! :eek:

I was really impressed with both, especially being 1/2 tons. They both handled the weight well, however, the Ram did feel more in control and less of a ‘tail waggin the dog’ feel that the expedition had. I felt the e-torque at take off with the trailer feels more impressive than without the trailer. I did ‘smash’ the Ram at a standstill with the trailer on and managed to spin a little. I then locked the rear axle and turned the traction control off and ‘smashed it again’. Probably won’t do that again, don’t want to see how good the warranty is yet, it hopped and felt very strong! That’s why the 5-60 mph test!;) Overall I do like the e-torque while towing. I had a hopped up diesel to pull this same weight and comparing to that, the e-torque honestly did better than I thought it might. Also, would have liked to have done a braking test but both vehicles are very different in this even in tow haul. The expedition just basically coasts unlike the actual pickups. I did like the downshifting of the Ram. It was very aggressive like my diesel was with the engine brake. So that’s my little test. Remember, I am not a professional! I would like to have more driving experience with older Ram 1500’s to make a better judgement on the ‘19. I know the Expedition isn’t a 2018 F-150 but what the heck. I am keeping notes to make a better review in about a week or so. Want to get some miles and real world experience on the Ram before I comment to much. Take this for what it is, just a country boy from Indiana having some fun!:cool:

Attachments

• 87008ABE-7C21-46BF-BA5C-B5E55552D95B.jpeg
    87008ABE-7C21-46BF-BA5C-B5E55552D95B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 58
  • 26DBF9EE-4B4C-41B9-9E81-6C5B749C296B.jpeg
    26DBF9EE-4B4C-41B9-9E81-6C5B749C296B.jpeg
    925.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 64BA6F86-5BA3-4D53-99A6-C9BDA8FFDA38.jpeg
    64BA6F86-5BA3-4D53-99A6-C9BDA8FFDA38.jpeg
    932.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the comparison. Pretty impressed with your results.

THanks for taking the time to do this.

Greatly appreciated

Mopar21222

Reaction score
Great work sir, it is amazing that TFL or others haven't gotten their hands on the E-torque yet for testing. Would like to experience how it behaves in slowing down, coasting, accelerating while rolling at mid speeds with engine near idle, light throttle etc.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great work sir, it is amazing that TFL or others haven't gotten their hands on the E-torque yet for testing. Would like to experience how it behaves in slowing down, coasting, accelerating while rolling at mid speeds with engine near idle, light throttle etc.
I agree, need a professional! Lol. I did like the way the Ram deceled. Trying not to be bias, the Ram did impress me, felt great. Even though the Ram is physically lighter, it felt ‘heavier’ so to speak in a good way. In a ‘my truck has control of the trailer way.’

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great post, thanks!

I've thought overall the Hemi/3.21s tows my 7500lb boat faster than the F150 2.7/3.55s that I had.... your post confirms my suspicion is right!

And after a very long road trip in the Ram, the Hemi seems to have more passing power/get up and go vs the EcoBoost. Hammer down to pass on a 2 lane road, she'd hit 90 if I wasn't paying attention!

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great post, thanks!

I've thought overall the Hemi/3.21s tows my 7500lb boat faster than the F150 2.7/3.55s that I had.... your post confirms my suspicion is right!

And after a very long road trip in the Ram, the Hemi seems to have more passing power/get up and go vs the EcoBoost. Hammer down to pass on a 2 lane road, she'd hit 90 if I wasn't paying attention!

I would agree, once again not being bias, I like Ford also and like the power of the eco-boost engines, obviously I own one, but the Hemi feels very strong in passing at highway speeds. The 8 speed tranny and 3:92’s is very nice when the trailer is behind it. Next test will be a “legal” drag race between my wife and I. I best not lose that one.:LOL:

Last edited:

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would agree, once again not being bias, I like Ford also and like the power of the echo-boost engines, obviously I own one, but the Hemi feels very strong in passing at highway speeds. The 8 speed tranny and 3:92’s is very nice when the trailer is behind it. Next test will be a “legal” drag race between my wife and I. I best not lose that one.:LOL:

The 3.21s have impressed me. I had been doubting not ordering the 3.92s but after this long trip, they are ok.

My F150 hasn't sold yet and I pass it daily at the dealership...I'd love to be able to drag the two.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 3.21s have impressed me. I had been doubting not ordering the 3.92s but after this long trip, they are ok.

My F150 hasn't sold yet and I pass it daily at the dealership...I'd love to be able to drag the two.

Say you want to test drive your old F-150, then drag them, or better yet have someone else go test drive it!:ROFLMAO:
Would be interesting. I would have liked to had my buddy’s ‘18 F-150 5.0 to test but oh well.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also to add to this, the main body of my trailer is 6’6” wide( with the fenders sticking out beyond that) making it basically as wide as the truck, maybe an inch or two wider at the most. The regular Ram mirrors ( the ones with surround view!) are more than adequate for this. Was able to see very well around the trailer. Also the trailer detection display on the instrument cluster showed the trailer being 20’ long which is about right on from the hitch to the back of the trailer.

Last edited:

mikemcfarland

Reaction score
I agree, need a professional! Lol. I did like the way the Ram deceled. Trying not to be bias, the Ram did impress me, felt great. Even though the Ram is physically lighter, it felt ‘heavier’ so to speak in a good way. In a ‘my truck has control of the trailer way.’

thanks for the wright up(y). im on the fence with the e-torque. getting ready to order. due to rambox issues i have a few days to contemplate weather or not add this option.

great job.

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well I got the trailer on the Ram today and did a comparison to my Ford Expedition. Did a few acceleration runs for each category and then averaged them out for each vehicle. Would like to have had a couple of friends of mine bring their trucks over also, they would have but they are both gone till next week and my lift goes on my truck Monday so it wouldn’t be a apples to apples comparison so to speak. One of them has a 2018 F-150 with the 5.0, the other a 2015 Ram 1500with the Hemi and 3:21 gears, anyway, here we go!

Both vehicles towed the same trailer down the same stretch of flat road. Both vehicles in tow/haul mode and at normal operating temperature. Both are completely stock including tire size. All vehicles and trailer were weighed on the same local truck scales. Trailer weight: 7,480 pounds

‘17 Expedition EL ‘19 Ram crew cab 6’4 box
Gross vehicle weight: 6,260 pounds 5,940 pounds
Engine: 3.5 eco-boost 5.7 Hemi e-torque
Rear axle ratio: 3:73 3:92
Tranny: 6 speed 8 speed
GCW: 13,740 pounds 13,420 pounds
(Total weight of vehicle and trailer)
5-60 mph acceleration: 14.8 seconds 13.5 seconds
30-60 mph acceleration: 11.26 seconds 10.8 seconds

I did not start from a standstill, that’s why it is a 5mph rolling start. I am not a media group that gets to pick a truck off the lot, run the crap out of it, then take it back. I own these and didn’t want to break them! :eek:

I was really impressed with both, especially being 1/2 tons. They both handled the weight well, however, the Ram did feel more in control and less of a ‘tail waggin the dog’ feel that the expedition had. I felt the e-torque at take off with the trailer feels more impressive than without the trailer. I did ‘smash’ the Ram at a standstill with the trailer on and managed to spin a little. I then locked the rear axle and turned the traction control off and ‘smashed it again’. Probably won’t do that again, don’t want to see how good the warranty is yet, it hopped and felt very strong! That’s why the 5-60 mph test!;) Overall I do like the e-torque while towing. I had a hopped up diesel to pull this same weight and comparing to that, the e-torque honestly did better than I thought it might. Also, would have liked to have done a braking test but both vehicles are very different in this even in tow haul. The expedition just basically coasts unlike the actual pickups. I did like the downshifting of the Ram. It was very aggressive like my diesel was with the engine brake. So that’s my little test. Remember, I am not a professional! I would like to have more driving experience with older Ram 1500’s to make a better judgement on the ‘19. I know the Expedition isn’t a 2018 F-150 but what the heck. I am keeping notes to make a better review in about a week or so. Want to get some miles and real world experience on the Ram before I comment to much. Take this for what it is, just a country boy from Indiana having some fun!:cool:
19llhbp, I’m interested in your 5940lb GVW, that’s pretty heavy. Does that include the driver and full tank of fuel? Anything else in the truck? Reason I ask is that I am concerned with payload capacity on the new ram. Assuming you have a 7100lb GVWR that would leave 1160 available payload. Have you posted a pic of your payload sticker(yellow sticker inside drivers door)?

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
19llhbp, I’m interested in your 5940lb GVW, that’s pretty heavy. Does that include the driver and full tank of fuel? Anything else in the truck? Reason I ask is that I am concerned with payload capacity on the new ram. Assuming you have a 7100lb GVWR that would leave 1160 available payload. Have you posted a pic of your payload sticker(yellow sticker inside drivers door)?

I apologize sir, I should have mentioned this, all very good questions. The truck was fully fueled (33 gal tank) and I did have some payload, guessing around 200 - 250 pounds, however, there were no occupants in the truck when I weighed it.

Users who are viewing this thread