5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fully electric Ram 1500 in 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Screen-Shot-2021-07-08-at-9.01.05-AM.jpg

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Looks like I'll be driving a 2020 for a bit longer than anticipated. One can only assume gas powered vehicles will become a hot commodity, unless the feds turn off the fuel hose. Then we will all be happy and the planet will resume its proper temperature, whatever that's supposed to be.

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
Gotta say I'm a little torn by the announcement. Happy they formally announced their plans, but a little sad they're giving the others a 2+ year head start.

hoodac78

Reaction score
I have to say I really struggle with this whole movement to ban gas powered light trucks/cars by a certain year. I realize you can't stop progress, but an electric truck will not have the range or the towing capacity that a gasoline engine provides. I feel that it will be really hard to tow a trailer with an electric truck when the infrastructure isn't there to support it all. Am I supposed to roll around with my gas genny so I can stop on the side of the road and charge up my truck for the ride? What happens when I get to where I'm going and there aren't any power stations around to plug my truck in so I can get home? Its hard enough to find a gas station sometimes in the places that we go camping in.
Greenies will say that EVs are better for the environment, and that is true when you talk about greenhouse gas emissions, but have you ever seen an open mine pit where they mine for the materials to put into those batteries for the EV's? Hardly a low carbon footprint. In regards to those batteries, I'm sure there is a plan to be able to recycle those? Are we trading one problem for another? I don't know. This is just stuff that rattles around in my head........

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have to say I really struggle with this whole movement to ban gas powered light trucks/cars by a certain year. I realize you can't stop progress, but an electric truck will not have the range or the towing capacity that a gasoline engine provides. I feel that it will be really hard to tow a trailer with an electric truck when the infrastructure isn't there to support it all. Am I supposed to roll around with my gas genny so I can stop on the side of the road and charge up my truck for the ride? What happens when I get to where I'm going and there aren't any power stations around to plug my truck in so I can get home? Its hard enough to find a gas station sometimes in the places that we go camping in.
Greenies will say that EVs are better for the environment, and that is true when you talk about greenhouse gas emissions, but have you ever seen an open mine pit where they mine for the materials to put into those batteries for the EV's? Hardly a low carbon footprint. In regards to those batteries, I'm sure there is a plan to be able to recycle those? Are we trading one problem for another? I don't know. This is just stuff that rattles around in my head........
All of what you said, plus our power grid can't handle the load it currently has. It struggles (and fails) when everyone tries to run their AC when it's hot. How is it supposed to also support all these EVs that will need to charge?

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
We will be long dead before feds turn off gas. 100LL is still there for general aviation planes that are 50 years old and still running just fine. If they can keep the shop open for 1% of use, I am sure it will take forever to go all electric.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like I'll be driving a 2020 for a bit longer than anticipated. One can only assume gas powered vehicles will become a hot commodity, unless the feds turn off the fuel hose. Then we will all be happy and the planet will resume its proper temperature, whatever that's supposed to be.

Hopefully they'll still be offering regular engine options for a while, I just bought my 21 and plan to keep it 3-4 years so I will certainly be planning on buying another gas engine at that time.

The part I don't understand is trying to over time completely eliminate the ICE engine, why does everything have to have such a big over correction? Wouldn't greatly reducing the amount of ICEs be enough? That way the large amount of people who will want EVs can have them and the rest of us can have ours ICEs while greatly reducing the amount of ICEs on the road? Why is that not a good enough solution, over corrections (especially complete and total over corrections like this) don't always end up solving problems, like others have mentioned here. Our electric grid seems to already be barely able to handle demand, and so people want to now completely overload the time it isn't overloaded at night? That's not a solution to me, admittedly I'm not an expert (or even novice) on the subject at all.

cdn.tbird

Reaction score
Hoodac78, do the research for yourself. Things aren't as scary as they seem, especially in Canada. We don't suffer the same types of rolling blackouts & brownouts we see on the news in the US. Yes there are issues that need to be figured out but then total electrification won't happen overnight either. Both my kids play rep level sports and I've lost count of how many times I've pulled into an arena parking lot in some small town in the middle of nowhere and there next to the building are a couple of charging stations and this was pre-pandemic. We don't notice these things because we have no use for them today.

Today's doomsday prophets are no different than the ones that said the gas engine would never replace the horse & buggy. After all, your horse could graze at the side of the road but where on earth were you going to find one of those damn gas stations. :p

Here are some stats you might find interesting.

• GM recently announced an investment in a California geothermal electricity project that is tapping into a lithium rich brine pool. They are estimating being able to extract enough lithium annually by mid-2024 to produce 6 million EVs. The extraction process releases 15x less greenhouse gases than current mining processes. Imagine how many more of these lithium rich pools exist globally?
• Technologies such as Graphene batteries have an energy density of more than 5x that of lithium batteries. Yes it will most likely show up in things like smartphones first but realistically, how long do you think before it is being used in EVs since it alone could solve the range issue?
• While Canada is the 2nd largest country after Russia (excluding Antarctica), depending on how you calculate it only 35% - 53% of it’s land mass is actually inhabitable.
• 90% of Canada’s population lives within 150 miles of it’s southern border
• 82% of Canada’s energy generation is from non-emitting sources (Hydro, Nuclear, Wind, Solar, & Biomass). While Alberta is no where near this today, given the rate of green energy projects in Alberta experts are saying that Alberta could be leading Canada by 2025.
• Canada is a net exporter of electricity.
• The last major blackout was in 2003 when a failure at a small utility company in Ohio took out the eastern seaboard of NA.
• Petro Canada has rolled out and is expanding a network of charging stations from coast to coast to coast. You could theoretically drive 4000 miles from NL to BC. Not that you’d want to given current charging times. But the point is it could theoretically be done today.
• Many municipalities are retrofitting municipally owned buildings with charging stations.
• Developers are starting to include charging stations in building designs. Started with condo buildings and now starting to see in new single family home developments.

Yes I look forward to the day that an Ram 1500 EV meets my needs, but that doesn't mean I won't miss my current 1500. But that will be no different than the nostalgia that I have for my old '82 GMC Sierra 4x4 or my 71 Charger. Now those two had some serious low end rumble. Long pipe headers and thrush mufflers will do that. 🙃

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't like the design teaser but am excited for the new options. I just have to chuckle at folks who are concerned the government will ban ICE vehicles of force them to go electric - this is just misinformation and bots trying to scare you into voting the way they want you to. There are no plans to ban ICE and a little google search will reveal all kinds of innovation in battery power EV's, huge efficiency gains in the works for ICE vehicles and alternative carbon neutral or positive fuels etc. The jumps in battery range and charging in the last few years has been huge and the new advances we'll see in the next 5 will likely blow all our minds. If there is a will there is a way and the only thing stopping us from building the next gen electric grid and charging infrastructure is fear mongering - the military knows this and is counting on new tech and grid upgrades as a matter of national security. I think it is going to be an exciting time in the automotive world.

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
With all the hidden UFO technology the Feds should allow us all flying vehicles to save on fuel costs, but just think of all the accidents there will be in no time.

RAMTrkGN

Reaction score
We will be long dead before feds turn off gas. 100LL is still there for general aviation planes that are 50 years old and still running just fine. If they can keep the shop open for 1% of use, I am sure it will take forever to go all electric.
Haven't flown in a long time. As I recall , AvGas was quite a bit more expensive than normal gasoline.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just have to chuckle at folks who are concerned the government will ban ICE vehicles of force them to go electric -

Admittedly I don't follow or research any of this because I'm not interested in it enough to do so. I'm not concerned about getting completely cut off, but I am worried about getting cut off on new vehicles. I don't want to be forced to buy older and older vehicles should companies go exclusively to EVs. I've got a 66 Buick that I plan to keep forever no matter what happens with this whole situation, but I want to be able to have a daily driver option for ICE.

I don't know the likelihood or timeframe of any of that but that's my completely uninformed concern. Well that and don't take gas away completely in the next 50 or so years so I can still enjoy my old Buick!

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Actually, with the current North American power infrastructure, increasing the population of electric cars increases in greenhouse emissions.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 0530388 miles.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Admittedly I don't follow or research any of this because I'm not interested in it enough to do so. I'm not concerned about getting completely cut off, but I am worried about getting cut off on new vehicles. I don't want to be forced to buy older and older vehicles should companies go exclusively to EVs. I've got a 66 Buick that I plan to keep forever no matter what happens with this whole situation, but I want to be able to have a daily driver option for ICE.

I don't know the likelihood or timeframe of any of that but that's my completely uninformed concern. Well that and don't take gas away completely in the next 50 or so years so I can still enjoy my old Buick!
I can appreciate that - I am hopeful our options will actually increase as we see new fuels and engine types come to market and also love old trucks and cars but am not too concerned about losing access to gasoline for them - might get prohibitively expensive for regular driving but don't imagine it will be unavailable in my lifetime given all it's uses.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just have to chuckle at folks who are concerned the government will ban ICE vehicles of force them to go electric - this is just misinformation and bots trying to scare you into voting the way they want you to.
Maybe it’s because of the misinformation bots in Sacramento and Europe who have banned new internal combustion engines after 2030-2035.

Personally, I don’t think those timelines are realistic and these governments will be forced to delay these mandates, but you don’t have to be wearing a tinfoil hat to fear that ICE will be banned. Governments have already announced their intentions to ban them.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't like the design teaser but am excited for the new options. I just have to chuckle at folks who are concerned the government will ban ICE vehicles of force them to go electric - this is just misinformation and bots trying to scare you into voting the way they want you to. There are no plans to ban ICE and a little google search will reveal all kinds of innovation in battery power EV's, huge efficiency gains in the works for ICE vehicles and alternative carbon neutral or positive fuels etc. The jumps in battery range and charging in the last few years has been huge and the new advances we'll see in the next 5 will likely blow all our minds. If there is a will there is a way and the only thing stopping us from building the next gen electric grid and charging infrastructure is fear mongering - the military knows this and is counting on new tech and grid upgrades as a matter of national security. I think it is going to be an exciting time in the automotive world.
We need to get cracking building Gen IV Nuke plants ASAP or we won't have the power capacity needed to fuel all these EV's unless we continue to burn fossil fuels for electric generation.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You guys have me thinking…which is the better solution from an emissions perspective: (1) Charging a vehicle a few times per month, at night, when electricity is low cost and the grid has ample excess capacity, or (2) Powering a home charging station directly from a natural gas fueled standby generator. Industrial generators are available that meet strict emissions standards, but I doubt home backup generators do. A market opportunity, perhaps?

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You guys have me thinking…which is the better solution from an emissions perspective: (1) Charging a vehicle a few times per month, at night, when electricity is low cost and the grid has ample excess capacity, or (2) Powering a home charging station directly from a natural gas fueled standby generator. Industrial generators are available that meet strict emissions standards, but I doubt home backup generators do. A market opportunity, perhaps?
I think the generation of energy from any fossil fuel is going to be problematic for 'environmentalists'. (Greenhouse emissions aside, there really no such thing as a "zero" emissions energy source.) As far as I know the emission standards for stationary power systems, regardless how small, would be the same as a conventional power generating plant, or perhaps even more relaxed. My last company had a natural gas back-up generation system that could power three, complete large buildings and that system had no emissions controls at all.

The promise of all-electric vehicles is currently built on a lot of assumptions. For example, would grid capacity really be there if a significant increase in people, thinking the same, opt to charge their vehicles at night?

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 0530388 miles.

arod412

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m all in for electrification…just has to make sense, and time. Right now hybrid engine is the way to go when you run out of electric power. Let that develop for a couple years.

Anti-electric folks keep forgetting how evolution works. Over time things get better and better. It takes time.

Anti-electric folks also forgot that before gas was invented, everything was horse and buggy, with steam trains in between. I’m sure back then, they said “ really gas…that won’t work in the future, I wouldn’t be able to find a gas station when I need it”

Owner of a 2020 Ram Laramie, 16 Dodge Charger scat pack and my wife 21 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online