5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Full Polish & Wax - How Much?

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
Hey guys,

While washing my truck this afternoon, I noticed I have a lot of light surfaces scratches that I can only attribute to brushing snow off of my truck. While it isn’t a huge deal, I take pride in having a good looking vehicle and it bothers me that my paint already looks so poorly in the sunshine. You need to catch it right but they are there. It hurts my soul.

I just sent off for a quote for a total polish and wax, but I was wondering what you guys have paid or have been quoted in the past so that I don’t get blind-sighted when the quote comes back. I’m expecting somewhere in the $500 to $750 region.

Thank you!

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
I’m far too newbie at that to attempt it on my truck. I’d rather pay a pro than totally screw up my paint. :(

Bearman95

Reaction score
Just get you some Adams liquid wax, put that on and then go over it with Adams polish. Of course this Has to be done on a freshly washed truck. It usually takes me about six hours to do it. All of it is done by hand. I don’t use a buffer either.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’m far too newbie at that to attempt it on my truck. I’d rather pay a pro than totally screw up my paint. :(

You can't hurt your paint if you do it by hand using over the counter non-cutting stuff. A polisher with cutting compound, yes, you want a professional for that. But you can get great results with over the counter products that chemical hide or very lightly abrasion polish like Meguiars Scratch X or their Cleaner Wax. Just a little elbow grease.

Are you familiar with basic car washing principles, like two bucket method, microfiber towels, wash mitts and using car specific soaps? If so, you can easily take care of this yourself. Watch some Youtube vids and go for it. The process after washing is simply applying the polish with a microfiber towel and using light-medium force to buff the scratches away.

However, price wise, if you want a wash, decontamination, clay bar, polish/paint correction & sealant process, it will be around the estimate they gave you. But you need to find a good detailer with strong experience and reviews. Some out there are over-polishing clear coat to get a crazy shine or correction, but it will actually harm the clear coat and durability. Highly recommend you make sure if you use someone, that they take as little clear coat off as possible, that they don't go chasing scratches too far to get a scratchless surface that will simply scratch again after a few weeks.

Last edited:

TheMadDutchDude

Reaction score
I think I’d be comfortable doing it by hand, definitely not with a buffer. Thank you, guys! I’ll look into some polishing compounds mentioned and maybe spend a weekend in the garage. Time to fire up the gas heater... :D

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think I’d be comfortable doing it by hand, definitely not with a buffer. Thank you, guys! I’ll look into some polishing compounds mentioned and maybe spend a weekend in the garage. Time to fire up the gas heater... :D

Absolutely, this is a good & gentle way to hide and remove most minor scratches. Wait maybe 2-3 years and get a proper detail/paint correction if you think it needs it, but this should tide you over for a while.

I have honestly seen trucks full "pinstriped" from off-roading and making contact with bushes. But after a good wash and hand polish, they look good as new. Just an example, here is a Youtuber I followed (due to a Tacoma in the family), she isn't really experienced with hand polish, but she shows what can easily be done with most minor scratches using a light polishing compound and microfiber towel ...

Sjay

Reaction score

I to was a bit nervous about polishing my vehicles. I watched the above video and then bought a Griot's Garage buffer and using the technique from the video I buffed and polished our 2009 Town and Country. I couldn't believe how well the finish came out. Months later it is still smooth as can be. Now after a wash I use a ceramic spray wax on it an it looks great. I will do my 2019 Ram this spring.

BmoreStew

Reaction score
Hey guys,

While washing my truck this afternoon, I noticed I have a lot of light surfaces scratches that I can only attribute to brushing snow off of my truck. While it isn’t a huge deal, I take pride in having a good looking vehicle and it bothers me that my paint already looks so poorly in the sunshine. You need to catch it right but they are there. It hurts my soul.

I just sent off for a quote for a total polish and wax, but I was wondering what you guys have paid or have been quoted in the past so that I don’t get blind-sighted when the quote comes back. I’m expecting somewhere in the $500 to $750 region.

Thank you!

i’m in MD and the detail shops charge between 500 and $600 for a truck.

like the others have said, it is absolutely something you can do yourself. I’ve always enjoyed it, but it’s an all day affair, if it hasn’t been done in awhile, and with the weather turning... I’m toying with the same idea.

not to mention all the whining I’d get from the family if I tried to take a full day to do it.

Patriotmobiledetail

Reaction score
Hi! I'm in Colorado and own a professional detailing shop. I have done ceramic coatings for 680 to 750 on specials for this website.
To answer your question micro scratches swirls and any type of surface (clear coat)) defect can be corrected or minimized via a polisher.

There are plenty of "by hand" methods..however yes. Even.hand polishing can created further imperfections if not done correctly.
The problem with hand buffing is that nobodys hand can move at the rpms of a buffer nor can you consistently move and maintain constant pressure on the surface.
Another obstacle is constant blowing off excess dust and not using too much product.

There are plenty of people chiming in here that are giving good advice.
However, I'm confused when people saying they use a wax THEN a polish.

Thats a bit confusing. Any polish has diminishing abrasives that cut and reduce clear coat. If you stick ANY sort of paint protection ..be it a carnuba wax or a polymer sealer or a silica ceramic or even a graphene ceramic coating if you do the polish AFTER that will.strip, degrade and chemically /physically weaken said protective barrier. This is obviously a wide range of minor stripping to complete removal.of the over layer. If it is a carnuba w minimal.longevity but high gloss index it will strip.wayyyy easier than a graphene coating which would need repeated polishing w a 1200 to.2500.grade compound or polish or rubbing down w alcohol.or a solvent.
Bottom line is please get a professional.to do it or learn how to.do it correctly.
I've had a possible 400 to 550 job turn into.a 1200 dollar full paint correction fix bc of poor homemade do it yourself techniques.
Unfortunately, nowadays everyone believes they can perform brain surgery if they just Google or YouTube it;)

I'm not saying detailing is that difficult but you can REALLY mess up your paint.

Hope that helps.

Just for the record I would venture to say there are very few real detailers left anymore.
Most shops are all about bottom.line and they just lack the quality.

Proper detailing is 95 percent prep.

Good luck.
You can check out my website if you wish it has more frequently asked questions

Www.patriotdetailing.co

*EXCUSE my poor punctuation, I'm typing from.a phone 📱 *

sbdf1

Reaction score
Hi! I'm in Colorado and own a professional detailing shop. I have done ceramic coatings for 680 to 750 on specials for this website.
To answer your question micro scratches swirls and any type of surface (clear coat)) defect can be corrected or minimized via a polisher.

There are plenty of "by hand" methods..however yes. Even.hand polishing can created further imperfections if not done correctly.
The problem with hand buffing is that nobodys hand can move at the rpms of a buffer nor can you consistently move and maintain constant pressure on the surface.
Another obstacle is constant blowing off excess dust and not using too much product.

There are plenty of people chiming in here that are giving good advice.
However, I'm confused when people saying they use a wax THEN a polish.

Thats a bit confusing. Any polish has diminishing abrasives that cut and reduce clear coat. If you stick ANY sort of paint protection ..be it a carnuba wax or a polymer sealer or a silica ceramic or even a graphene ceramic coating if you do the polish AFTER that will.strip, degrade and chemically /physically weaken said protective barrier. This is obviously a wide range of minor stripping to complete removal.of the over layer. If it is a carnuba w minimal.longevity but high gloss index it will strip.wayyyy easier than a graphene coating which would need repeated polishing w a 1200 to.2500.grade compound or polish or rubbing down w alcohol.or a solvent.
Bottom line is please get a professional.to do it or learn how to.do it correctly.
I've had a possible 400 to 550 job turn into.a 1200 dollar full paint correction fix bc of poor homemade do it yourself techniques.
Unfortunately, nowadays everyone believes they can perform brain surgery if they just Google or YouTube it;)

I'm not saying detailing is that difficult but you can REALLY mess up your paint.

Hope that helps.

Just for the record I would venture to say there are very few real detailers left anymore.
Most shops are all about bottom.line and they just lack the quality.

Proper detailing is 95 percent prep.

Good luck.
You can check out my website if you wish it has more frequently asked questions

Www.patriotdetailing.co

*EXCUSE my poor punctuation, I'm typing from.a phone 📱 *
Thank you for this. I put myself through college by working for a high end detail shop in town for about 4 years. I've seen people do all kinds of things to their paint after watching a 5 min video on youtube and think the car looks "great"... The sun doesn't lie when it comes to paint and even after years of working with polishers and compounds, I've made mistakes trying out new products I wasn't used to on my own vehicle when in a hurry.

I always recommend people go to a professional when they need paint correction if they truly want to protect their investment. It is 10x harder to undo the mistakes (I know this all too well). And the term "elbow grease" should never be used when referring to paint work.

My 2 cents

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
I am a DIYer and a customer of auto geek.net and griots garage as well.
I am also retired so I have the time and garage space (yes my truck barely does fit inside)

but honestly I would recommend that most, especially if you live in an area with four seasons to just bite the bullet and get their ride done with ceramic to get a good base coat.

sbdf1

Reaction score
I am a DIYer and a customer of auto geek.net and griots garage as well.
I am also retired so I have the time and garage space (yes my truck barely does fit inside)

but honestly I would recommend that most, especially if you live in an area with four seasons to just bite the bullet and get their ride done with ceramic to get a good base coat.
I think it's possible to be a good DIY waxer/polisher if you follow a system. For example Chemical Guys (and others) sell colour coded pads and different polishes to go with each pad to keep people from doing damage to their paint. They also have a massive collection of videos on their youtube channel that thoroughly walks you through how to prep your paint for polishing/waxing and all the steps thereafter. People should choose the system they want and take the time to learn it.

Where I think people can get into trouble is they see a youtube video using a general Meguirs polish, they go to the store and buy a simonize buffer and a random pad off the shelf that fits said polisher and go at it. Often times it's the wrong pad for the application (too aggressive) and the end product is a car with pig tails and hologram throughout the paint.

If people want to take the DIY approach they just need to know it's possible to screw it up and there are ways to avoid that by investing in a good DA Polisher and following a system. Plus it takes time to learn the limitations of products and pads so patience is key :cool:🛻

Exhibit A - What you want to avoid:
Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 9.20.28 AM.png

Patriotmobiledetail

Reaction score
Fixing holograms keep me in business;)
I love dark cars.
Thnk you for posting!
I've always said 2 things

1. The way to be a great detailer is to use the LEAST abrasive and aggressive method to fix the defect.
And
2. The mark of a great detailer is how you make a dark car look in the sun.
If you can knock that out of the park...you have arrived!

I'm always open for questions...im located in Colorado but will travel to any state if there is enough need for me. And I continue to offer coatings for 5th generation rams forum members at 750 to.950 price point depending on coating etc..that includes 6hrs of paint correction
Check out my business reviews
Www.patriotdetailing.co

I do encourage people to learn things and if you want me to teach you I have classes too
Or you can follow me to jobs 4 free;)
20191231_121408.jpg 20200501_162923.jpg 20200611_132041.jpg

Last edited:

sbdf1

Reaction score
Fixing olograms keep me in business;)
I love dark cars.
Thnk you for posting!
I've always said 2 things

1. The way to be a great detailer is to use the LEAST abrasive and aggressive method to fix the defect.
And
2. The mark of a great detailer is how you make a dark car look in the sun.
If you can knock that out of the park...you have arrived!

I'm always open for questions...im located in Colorado but will travel to any state if there is enough need for me. And I continue to offer coatings for 5th generation rams forum members at 750 to.950 price point depending on coating etc..that includes 6hrs of paint correction
Check out my business reviews
Www.patriotdetailing.co

I do encourage people to learn things and if you want me to teach you I have classes too
Or you can follow me to jobs 4 free;)
View attachment 75878 View attachment 75879 View attachment 75882
Beautiful work by the way!

My last car was black, and I found my eye has become too critical to ever own a black vehicle again. I was always noticing new little imperfections and I can't deal with that anymore lol.

sbdf1

Reaction score
I did my friend's work truck this summer. He's been working out of it for 3 years and it's never had paint protection so she was a mess to say the least. This picture is in direct sunlight, I couldn't stop looking at it after a full days work. It exceeded my own expectations considering how grey and washed out the paint looked before.
IMG_2219.jpeg

Patriotmobiledetail

Reaction score
Very nice! If u ever want a job in Colorado;)
My buddy and I are opening a concourse shop in Denver
Tint
Ppf
Ceramic
Paint correction
PDR
And vehicle wraps

Good work.

Users who are viewing this thread