5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Full exhaust system vs Muffler swap.

Juli_hoop

Reaction score
Thinking about finally doing an exhaust upgrade on my 19 Ram Rebel, 5.7 Hemi. Either looking at the Borla Atak full system, or just buying the Borla Atak muffler and welding it in. Anyone have any experiences with just doing a Borla Atak muffler swap or maybe even a magnaflow? Or would it be best to upgrade the whole system and go 3" pipe all the way? I believe stock is 2.5"?

Jmmoore3

Reaction score
Lots to consider and you will get both sides of opinion.
Factory is 3”. Older gens were the 2.5” I believe.
I had just the flowmaster muffler installed at the best shop in town and cost was 150$ total. I bought muffler and took to shop for install. For me it was the way to go as the “direct replacement” flowmaster kit was $290+ and you still had to make a cut to get old muffler out. So I have same sound/performance(if any) for about half the price.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yup, if you go muffler only, it's better if it's welded in place as per my service advisor, more secure. The direct fit actually recommends a tack weld to keep the clamps from coming loose.

If you don't want any droning while in MDS (4-cylinder mode) than your best option is the full system. You won't likely see a performance gain, but they tune it so it has reduced drone during MDS operation.

I went with a Flowmaster Outlaw, 3" in and out (as is the stock system). Sounds amazing and no drone when cruising, but sounds like a 60s muscle car when idling and on the move.

Jmmoore3

Reaction score
Good advice from SD Rebel, he helped me make my decision and don’t regret it a bit.

Adonis72

Reaction score
I did the Flowmaster Outlaw direct muffler replacement in my 2021 hemi,took about 1.5 hours and did it myself. It sounds great! I think it's probably the best way to go for low cost, good sound and no droning.

Fuzznutz

Reaction score
I did the flowmaster outlaw as well. I did not tack weld the clamp. If I see a need to down the road, I can easily do it. But I honestly don't at this point think it needs to be. Here's a start up clip.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

CMil527

Reaction score
Can't rave enuff about the Borla ATAK.. sounds ridiculously good on the Hemi! Had a bolt on 14" Magnaflow on my 4th Gen and it doesn't compare imo!

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the magnaflow full system on my Ram - I had a Borla XR1 (on an otherwise stock setup) on my last gen Rebel.

If you have neighbors you like or a wife you don't want to upset? Magnaflow's good! The full system has their big 22in muffler unit on it, it's a "mellow thundercloud" experience. It has gotten louder but sweetened over time - I'm happier with it now than I was when I had it installed. If you're thinking this might be neat, B2Fab I think uses magnaflow mufflers in their muffler swap setups.

For borla, the sound profile on a borla muffler is amazing, it really is. (It wasn't out yet when I got the magnaflow)
Not one male who heard my system complained. :ROFLMAO:
"I mean, yet, it's loud? but it sounds so good."
A tasteful, "truck"-like sound. Rumbles, growls, and when you floor it, it's a rock concert.
Cold-starts are almost addicting.
"BOOOOOOOOM, WHOM'WHOM'WHOM'WHOM'WHOM"

To me, I'd vote get the full system, pick your sound level desired. Hear that music that way Borla meant it to be heard.
Once every few months I consider putting a Borla touring system on the truck.
Magnaflow has done nothing wrong, I like the sound, I think an aftermarket exhaust is almost a must on these trucks and one of life's great pleasures. and I mean that.
I really like the magnaflow?
I loved the borla sound. Part of me misses it.

~Ocho1~

Reaction score
My practical, conservative side tells me to just keep the stock exhaust, my Corvette is loud enough........

My maniacal hotrod side tells me I need to be able to hear that Hemi roar!!

SD Rebel

Reaction score
My practical, conservative side tells me to just keep the stock exhaust, my Corvette is loud enough........

My maniacal hotrod side tells me I need to be able to hear that Hemi roar!!

The stock for me was honestly too quiet. I came from an Ecoboost and I honestly was expecting more sound from this truck. But that's probably because so many RAM owners go aftermarket that stock seems too normal.

Luckily there are so many mufflers and exhaust to really suit your taste, you don't have to go loud, you can go slightly louder than stock and everything in between. But if I had another vehicle that was already pretty loud, I would maybe have kept this one stock.

mcp6530

Reaction score
Yup, if you go muffler only, it's better if it's welded in place as per my service advisor, more secure. The direct fit actually recommends a tack weld to keep the clamps from coming loose.

If you don't want any droning while in MDS (4-cylinder mode) than your best option is the full system. You won't likely see a performance gain, but they tune it so it has reduced drone during MDS operation.

I went with a Flowmaster Outlaw, 3" in and out (as is the stock system). Sounds amazing and no drone when cruising, but sounds like a 60s muscle car when idling and on the move.
Can you link me to the exact part you guys bought? Is it one of these? https://www.holley.com/platform/ram/1500/2019/products/exhaust/

mcp6530

Reaction score
Lots to consider and you will get both sides of opinion.
Factory is 3”. Older gens were the 2.5” I believe.
I had just the flowmaster muffler installed at the best shop in town and cost was 150$ total. I bought muffler and took to shop for install. For me it was the way to go as the “direct replacement” flowmaster kit was $290+ and you still had to make a cut to get old muffler out. So I have same sound/performance(if any) for about half the price.
can you link me to what you bought? there are so many options....thanks!

HeavyRotation

Reaction score
I welded in a Super40 but left the resonators, still very nice and quiet for 80mph freeway cruising but now I can hear it around town. It is absolutely not loud. Mds sound doesn't bother me even a bit, just sounds like the motor is in crossplane crank mode haha. The cold start is definitely a bit noisier, but still a big improvement on my previous straight piped dizzle. If I got up a little bit later in the morning, I might have gone with the 44 for more bark.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just did a muffler delete for $60 and I am happy with the sound.

In my previous truck, I had the flowmaster Outlaw and I loved the sound! But the wife was not very pleased....

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Forgot to add, will all my exhaust work, I always have them welded, really its the only way to go :)

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Can you link me to the exact part you guys bought? Is it one of these? https://www.holley.com/platform/ram/1500/2019/products/exhaust/

Actually, the muffler shop that did the install already had them in stock, but here is the one that's on my truck...

Here is the shorty version, which is likely louder...

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Oh, here is a video of my truck driving on a local fire road, you can get a good idea on what it sounds inside when in idle and moving at slower speeds. At highway speeds, it's pretty quiet...

Users who are viewing this thread