5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel Vapor Leak Device bad

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2019 RAm Longhorn Laramie Edition with 30,000 miles a month ago. The check engine light came on this weekend. Took it to the local Orielly's and was told the Fuel Vapor Leak Device needed replacing. The part is $30 but is covered under warranty. This truck gets about 14 miles to the gallon. I also have a 2019 Limited that has air suspension that averages 16.2 miles to the gallon. Can the vapor leak be causing such low miles per gallon? God I hope so. It had mud tires on it and was getting 12 miles per gallon so the dealership agreed to put all terrain tires once we purchased it and now get 14. Also the speedometer is off 4 miles faster than it should be. Can this be caliberated? Dealership is clueless. any advice on all of this is appreciated.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You can use Jscan, AlfaOBD, or a TazerDT to calibrate your speedo to the new tires.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2019 RAm Longhorn Laramie Edition with 30,000 miles a month ago. The check engine light came on this weekend. Took it to the local Orielly's and was told the Fuel Vapor Leak Device needed replacing. The part is $30 but is covered under warranty. This truck gets about 14 miles to the gallon. I also have a 2019 Limited that has air suspension that averages 16.2 miles to the gallon. Can the vapor leak be causing such low miles per gallon? God I hope so. It had mud tires on it and was getting 12 miles per gallon so the dealership agreed to put all terrain tires once we purchased it and now get 14. Also the speedometer is off 4 miles faster than it should be. Can this be caliberated? Dealership is clueless. any advice on all of this is appreciated.
Just getting the speedo corrected to read properly will more than likely give you back your lost fuel mileage. Im guessing previous owner had it calibrated for the larger mud tires, and you had factory size A/Ts installed.

And yes, lots of options to recalibrate for tire size. Dealership service department should easily be able to do it. Don't talk to the sales staff as they would be clueless

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Took it to the local Orielly's and was told the Fuel Vapor Leak Device needed replacing.
They did not diagnose anything, they pulled a code. Unfortunately this is what some dealership techs do.

It had mud tires on it and was getting 12 miles per gallon so the dealership agreed to put all terrain tires once we purchased it and now get 14. Also the speedometer is off 4 miles faster than it should be. Can this be caliberated? Dealership is clueless. any advice on all of this is appreciated.
Were the tires the correct size that came off the truck? Most likely the tire size has been modified in the software of the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread