5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel storage in bed ideas

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
After evacuating from Hurricane IDA and with the crippling fuel shortages I am thinking I need a better way to make sure I have more gas. Other than just ratchet strapping gas cans in the bed does anyone else have any clever ideas?

I've thought about Rotopax mounted inside of the bed, a bed rack with Rotopax mounted on the rack.

I have a Pakmule cargo carrier and I'm thinking of buying enough VP Racing cans to fill the carrier area. Maybe use a bar or angle run through the handles and then secure the bar.

I just brought 50 gallons of gas from Florida to New Orleans two days ago in random plastic cans. All of them suck when pouring except the Surecan with the lower mounted spout.

Redfour5

Reaction score
I have one of these https://www.lowes.com/pd/Carry-On-T...e-Mesh-Utility-Trailer/3680952?site=shopLocal

I cannot believe the price now. I got mine for about 249 with some kind of discounts six years ago...primarily when I had a Subaru. But works great with a truck too. But you put a plywood bottom on it and the sides so you can secure and "hide" whats'' in it AND it has highway running gear unlike the Harbor Freight cheapos (not disparaging them for their purposes). You need the right "height" adjustable hitch, but they stand up on their ends against a wall in a garage and take up very little room. I have a small winch on the wall to let it down easy. AND you are good to go, anytime. It takes a couple of hours to "build" and put the wood bottom sides (I leave them on) and the winch on the wall. I even have a few (seldom used) things on the back while it's up against the wall and lose virtually no floor space in the garage. They have a very decent load rating also. When I only had a Subaru it was almost as good as a truck bed. Now it expands "bed" space and is really good for tree/lawn/dirty stuff... The short sides make everything easily accessible. You could easily make a top with hinges any height you want and lock it up... I never needed it, but thought about it. Easy peasy. I live in the mountains and you can even flip the axles for a bit more clearance and the little trailer will go anywhere loaded up for back country camping or hunting... AND functions like a bugout bag for a truck if any poo hits the fan... The six footers won't fit against the wall in a garage so storage can become problematic with the bigger ones. I have nothing but good things to say about this trailer.

Last edited:

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
I have one of these https://www.lowes.com/pd/Carry-On-T...e-Mesh-Utility-Trailer/3680952?site=shopLocal

I cannot believe the price now. I got mine for about 249 with some kind of discounts six years ago...primarily when I had a Subaru. But works great with a truck too. But you put a plywood bottom on it and the sides so you can secure and "hide" whats'' in it AND it has highway running gear unlike the Harbor Freight cheapos (not disparaging them for their purposes). You need the right "height" adjustable hitch, but they stand up on their ends against a wall in a garage and take up very little room. I have a small winch on the wall to let it down easy. AND you are good to go, anytime. It takes a couple of hours to "build" and put the wood bottom sides (I leave them on) and the winch on the wall. I even have a few (seldom used) things on the back while it's up against the wall and lose virtually no floor space in the garage. They have a very decent load rating also. When I only had a Subaru it was almost as good as a truck bed. Now it expands "bed" space and is really good for tree/lawn/dirty stuff... The short sides make everything easily accessible. You could easily make a top with hinges any height you want and lock it up... I never needed it, but thought about it. Easy peasy. I live in the mountains and you can even flip the axles for a bit more clearance and the little trailer will go anywhere loaded up for back country camping or hunting... AND functions like a bugout bag for a truck if any poo hits the fan... The six footers won't fit against the wall in a garage so storage can become problematic with the bigger ones. I have nothing but good things to say about this trailer.
Thats a good idea. I already have a trailer and I'm staying away from trailers for evacuation purposes. When you are bugging out the last thing you want is an extra set of tires that can go flat and getting around on the congested roads is a lot easier without towing something.

That trailer is 17 sq ft of area and the Pak Mule is 12. Pretty good for something hitch mounted. Appreciate your thoughts!

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
After evacuating from Hurricane IDA and with the crippling fuel shortages I am thinking I need a better way to make sure I have more gas. Other than just ratchet strapping gas cans in the bed does anyone else have any clever ideas?

I've thought about Rotopax mounted inside of the bed, a bed rack with Rotopax mounted on the rack.

I have a Pakmule cargo carrier and I'm thinking of buying enough VP Racing cans to fill the carrier area. Maybe use a bar or angle run through the handles and then secure the bar.

I just brought 50 gallons of gas from Florida to New Orleans two days ago in random plastic cans. All of them suck when pouring except the Surecan with the lower mounted spout.
There are lots of options for fuel transfer tanks you can mount in your truck bed. Is that what you're thinking of, or are you looking for something more out of the box?

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
They do make bed mounted tanks for pickups. Go to any construction site and you'll see pickups with them everywhere. They are usually diesel tanks to fill their equipment but they have them for gas too. Just search online for bed mounted tanks for pickups. There's a couple different styles. They have side mounted tanks that are contoured for the wheel well too

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
Yes I have thought of a "drag up" tank. I have two issues, they are so permanent and these short 5'7" beds suck. My next one may be a 2500 Cummins with a 60 or 75 gallon transfer tank for sure. And the HD trucks payload can handle it.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score

JerryBsizzle

Reaction score
How about something like this?

4 of them will be 20 gallons. not sure how big of a tank you have, but you could buy an extra to double your tank right now.
Yea I am leaning toward the VP cans. The 8 pack was what I was looking at. They nest easily too.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Get one of these. They're wheeled, so you can move them fairly easily. Getting a full one into the bed can be a slight challenge for one person, but it worked well for me during evacuations. You can lay it flat on its back, or stand it up (in both cases, you want to strap it down to keep it from moving). It's a gravity feed, so you can refuel your truck from the bed. Side note: If it's out of the bed, you'll need a 1-2 gallon can for transferring to your truck tank.

Just do a search for "fuel caddy" or "gas caddy".

1630686058678.png

HEMIJAKE

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On my 2008 Big Horn I took the bottom 8" of the bedrail toolbox and made an AUX tank.
it adds 36 Gallons to the Stock 26 Gallon tank. I ran transfer and vent lines to the Filler neck.
With a flip of a switch I can transfer while driving. There are EPA Regs, DOT Regs, and the
Trucks computer to deal with.

I am currently Fabricating a Tank to go in the Bed of my 2021 Laramie Ecodiesel. This will
Add 72 Gallons to the 33 Gallon Stock tank. I have the weld bungs for the filler neck and
the AUX Tank's filler neck mounting collar to finish. Then it goes to a friend to weld everything.

When I finish I will do a thread on the completed project.

Malodave

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Go to a wrecking yard and look for a suitable gas tank that will sit flat in the bed. If the fuel pump is still good, you're in business! A pigtail to the pump and some fuel hose on the outlet and transferring gas is a piece of cake.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There’s a ton of different aluminum marine fuel tanks available. You can probably pick up a cheap rectangular or square one from a marine wrecking yard. A small gasoline rated transfer pump and you can easily fill cans or your truck from the tank. Many boats have 50 gallon+ tanks in them.

I know in some areas it’s illegal to have a tank in the bed for gasoline but not for diesel as it’s not quite as explosive.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have these: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/5-gallon-no-spill-gas-can?cm_vc=-10005

They are great. The top (lid/spout) acts as a handle. One hand there, the other on the molded top or rear handle. The lid hand then uses the thumb to press on the release and you get the fuel IN the tank. I've used plenty of jerrycans. Yeah, they're good, but not as good/useful as these.

Yep, they're expensive, but why buy junk? I've got about 8 of them floating around (I rotate and add Stabil). Gotta add some more...

ETA: I've modified mine. The internal strainer slows the fillup too much, so I added some lightness to it. Also, I removed the plastic locking tab from the top to make it easy to take on and off. I also bought an extension nozzle for those fills where it's too far away for the normal nozzle.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread