5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel Range

Bradley1975

Reaction score
Hello, well just picked up my first Dodge today. Made a move from our 2021 Ford ranger 4x4 to a 2022 1500 Big Horn 5.7 with eTorque 4x4. Build sheet says I have a 23 gallon tank which surprised me. When I first picked up the vehicle the dealership they gassed it up. Miles to empty started at 180 and honestly I about lost it. It's been going up the more I drive it. Currently at 280 and seems to be just hovering there. Any ideas what would cause this? What kind of range are you getting with your current set up.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You should have ordered a build with a 33 gallon tank to start with.

If you are worried about what the computer says for how far you go, you will live a worrisome life. It does not seem to "learn" it just reads what is happening. If it went from past driving, you would run out in town if you typically drove highway. It was sitting around a dealer lot and being shuffled during transport. It spent a lot of time idling so that is 0 mpg.

Just hit reset and drive.

NSCRDV

Reaction score
I’m going to miss the big tank in my Avalanche, but getting more than 6mpg when towing will probably offset the 23gal tank. I. Bought off the lot…

RVTRKN

Reaction score
At 70 mph flat running (I40 from New Mexico to Oklahoma) I got 21 MPG with truck in sig. When you fill up, and your average shows 21 on the lie o meter, you'll see @ 500 miles to empty. Thats with a 26 gal tank, which I've never been able to fill at, on empty, so you would do the math in your head 20mpg x the amount you filled with will give you your DTE besides what the Lie o meter shows. You can reset the average once you get to 70 MPH, and it'll quickly show the DTE at the new average, which for me was 70 MPH @ 20 mpg and the best average was 21. The reserve amount must be @ 3-4 gallons in the tank so you'll get less DTE in reality, I was able to travel across the Mohave Desert from Needles Comifornia to Visalia CA without filling up, and from Visalia Comifornia to Ehrenberg AZ (Arizona side of Blyth CA on the Colorado River).

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I just looked up Ram builds and found that tradesman and bighorn now have 23 gallon tanks, which equates to 18-19 actual gallons usable. That would be at 20 MPG x 18 gallons = 360 mile range. So the big question, when did Ram change the tank from 26 to 23 gallons?

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Hello, well just picked up my first Dodge today. Made a move from our 2021 Ford ranger 4x4 to a 2022 1500 Big Horn 5.7 with eTorque 4x4. Build sheet says I have a 23 gallon tank which surprised me. When I first picked up the vehicle the dealership they gassed it up. Miles to empty started at 180 and honestly I about lost it. It's been going up the more I drive it. Currently at 280 and seems to be just hovering there. Any ideas what would cause this? What kind of range are you getting with your current set up.

6of36

Reaction score
I just looked up Ram builds and found that tradesman and bighorn now have 23 gallon tanks, which equates to 18-19 actual gallons usable. That would be at 20 MPG x 18 gallons = 360 mile range. So the big question, when did Ram change the tank from 26 to 23 gallons?
I haven't looked in a while, but as I recall, V8s got a 23, and V6s got a 26.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't looked in a while, but as I recall, V8s got a 23, and V6s got a 26.

Not sure about earlier years, but for 23 and 24 it's dependent upon the model of the truck. Laramie's and above get a 26 gallon tank and models below Laramie get a 23 gallon tank. Engine doesn't seem to matter.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Ram is screwing up the range on the lower trim levels ????. I tried to trace back to when it was changed to the 23 gallon, but gave up on the research, but what difference does it make anyway when they did it, they did it. I wanted the larger 33 gallon tank, but I felt 26 gallon would work if I couldn't find a Ram in the price range I was looking at. I also didn't see on the Ram build site to option to the 33 gallon tank with the 24 trucks. :unsure:

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I think Ram is really screwing up a great platform for Ram. Dumping the proven Hemi engine for a tiny inline 6 cylinder, I don't care of the HP increase, trying to make the torque and HP to match the Hemi with an over complicated small I6 will fail. If I use a 2025 1500 as a grocery getter, then it'll be just fine, but towing what I would tow (21' Tritoon) for 5 hour drives to the Colorado River with the Tritoon, it would wear out that engine.

What does this post have to do with a 23 gallon tank, it'll be drinking lots of fuel at higher RPM which will make you buy gas at a higher price when in the Mohave Desert, as well as wear that little engine with 0W-20 oil. :eek:

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I went back looked at the build site, it seems the 33 gallon is only optional when the standard tank is 26 gallon, which means Laramie trim and up.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Yes you are correct, there are so many versions, so I must of looked at a different truck. I did notice the engine and transmission choices are now on the 4th step, when it used to be the very 1st step. :sneaky:

Regardless, a 23 gallon tank for a working truck is ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/