5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel Range

Bradley1975

Reaction score
Hello, well just picked up my first Dodge today. Made a move from our 2021 Ford ranger 4x4 to a 2022 1500 Big Horn 5.7 with eTorque 4x4. Build sheet says I have a 23 gallon tank which surprised me. When I first picked up the vehicle the dealership they gassed it up. Miles to empty started at 180 and honestly I about lost it. It's been going up the more I drive it. Currently at 280 and seems to be just hovering there. Any ideas what would cause this? What kind of range are you getting with your current set up.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello, well just picked up my first Dodge today. Made a move from our 2021 Ford ranger 4x4 to a 2022 1500 Big Horn 5.7 with eTorque 4x4. Build sheet says I have a 23 gallon tank which surprised me. When I first picked up the vehicle the dealership they gassed it up. Miles to empty started at 180 and honestly I about lost it. It's been going up the more I drive it. Currently at 280 and seems to be just hovering there. Any ideas what would cause this? What kind of range are you getting with your current set up.
Congrats on your purchase. But you bought a Ram and not a Dodge. Two different brands now.

The range will change depending on the miles per gallon. And that depends on other factors too (driving style, idle times, gearing, etc). There are huge discussions on here about it just use search.

Bradley1975

Reaction score
Congrats on your purchase. But you bought a Ram and not a Dodge. Two different brands now.

The range will change depending on the miles per gallon. And that depends on other factors too (driving style, idle times, gearing, etc). There are huge discussions on here about it just use search.
Thank you for the heads up on the two different brands now.

RAL

Reaction score
On the standard size tank you can expect about a 350 mile range generally (assume 16mpg in local driving) and 400 or so if highway (about 20 mpg). Miles to empty is showing low because truck has probably been idling and or driven stop and go and so MPGs are artificially low.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These new vehicles learn your driving habits and adapt often. As stated by my man above, many factors contribute to that and the range will constantly be fluctuating. Enjoy the new truck. You made a wide choice!

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
On the standard size tank you can expect about a 350 mile range generally (assume 16mpg in local driving) and 400 or so if highway (about 20 mpg). Miles to empty is showing low because truck has probably been idling and or driven stop and go and so MPGs are artificially low.
Not on a 23-gallon tank. Mine never shows more than 300 range at 17 MPG.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Double check your fuel tank. I also have MY22 and my tank is 26gal. I thought for MY22, the only options were 26 or 33gal. But I could be wrong🤷🏼

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah the computer changes according to conditions. I average 14 mpg but love it.
I did not buy this truck for gas mileage.
And as my signature says I still call it a Dodge too.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
33gal tank ... with summer gas I get a little over 500miles with city/highway combined. I can get up to 600miles with highway only. During winter gas season, I get 450-500miles (city/highway).

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 33 gallon tank...run it pretty low before I fill it and only ever put about 28 gallons in it...kind of has me perplexed and I get my gas at the spot every time. When I fill up the range is typically at 568 miles.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How low are we talking? My low fuel light warning comes on when there’s 50 miles left on the screen. Thats with a 23 gallon tank I typically don’t go below 30 left or so. Don’t wanna run the pump dry and for sure don’t wanna be the idiot that runs out of gas with a working fuel gauge walking to the gas station lol. Yep manufactures do that for a reason gives u plenty of time to get fuel before it shuts off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Users who are viewing this thread