5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel quality

Derwoodjones

Reaction score
I live in a small town and one of the stations offers "clear gas" or unleaded 88 octane that is ethanol free. After reading a few forums on what octane people are putting in their trucks, what benefits would running clear gas verse "up to 10% ethanol" 89 octane? The 88 is on average $.03 more a gallon to run than the 89. I did an experiment and the 88 full tank I noticed the eco light come on more often. So I then filled up on 89 and what do you know, the eco light did not come on as much. Most of my driving on those two tanks were city driving.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The "clear gas" (no ethanol) has more stored energy in the fuel. More energy = more power = more MDS = more fuel economy.

The reason that E85 (85% ethanol which is fuel made from corn/surgarcane) is about 25% less expensive at the pump is because it has about 25% less energy than regular/clear non-ethanol 87 octane unleaded gas made from dead dinosaurs.

I'm not sure of the cutoff point but I think stations can run 10-15% ethanol and still call it "regular" unleaded. Most newer vehicles that are not rated for flex fuel (E85) can run 10-15% ethanol without issue. It will be stated in the owner's manual what minimum octane and maximum ethanol content are recommended.

Our trucks can run up to 15% ethanol/methanol (E15) per the owner's manual.

Last edited:

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
When I visit my family in OK I see a lot of “non-ethanol” fuel available but its about 15+ cents a gallon higher than the 10-15 mix. I can certainly see buying it for small engines of any flavor, including boats, but IDT it’s all that necessary for the truck.

Derwoodjones

Reaction score
The "clear gas" (no ethanol) has more stored energy in the fuel. More energy = more power = more MDS = more fuel economy.

The reason that E85 (85% ethanol which is fuel made from corn/surgarcane) is about 25% less expensive at the pump is because it has about 25% less energy than regular/clear non-ethanol 87 octane unleaded gas made from dead dinosaurs.

I'm not sure of the cutoff point but I think stations can run 10-15% ethanol and still call it "regular" unleaded. Most newer vehicles that are not rated for flex fuel (E85) can run 10-15% ethanol without issue. It will be stated in the owner's manual what minimum octane and maximum ethanol content are recommended.

Our trucks can run up to 15% ethanol/methanol (E15) per the owner's manual.

Brian42, the other gas at the pump is not E85, its regular gas but there is a sticker saying that it may contain up to 10% ethanol. I will take a picture next time I am there. I guess where I was unclear is with the cost being so close, and how octane ratings work, is it worth it to go down one octane rating 89 down to 88 and have no ethanol.

Pressgrove

Reaction score
I burn non-ethanol fuel as a general rule (almost a sin here in Iowa), but sometimes the 10% blend is a better deal (or the only option)
  • 10% ethanol is usually about 10% cheaper here, although at some places the difference is larger. 15% is available some places now, but not the stations I frequent so I can't speak to that.
  • My wife's car (2013 Honda CR-V) gets about 10% better mileage with non-ethanol fuel
  • The jury is still out on mileage difference in the Ram, but it is better. I'd guess more like 8% right now, but I really don't have enough data to be confident.
  • The 89 octane recommendation further confuses the calculus in the RAM. Often, the cheapest 10% ethanol is 89 octane, while the more expensive non-ethanol is only 87 octane. At some stations, you have to go to premium to get straight petrol (some have ethanol at all levels). The CR-V burns whatever so this is less of a concern with it.
  • Fuel range is important to me, especially in the winter. Fueling up when it's windy and 0°F sucks. The fewer times I have to do that, the better.
  • Ethanol is hard on small engines unless it is burned right away (my experience)
  • I would NOT keep a can of ethanol blend it in a can in my garage for occasional use. Not that it's dangerous to store, it just breaks down faster than straight petrol.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I burn non-ethanol fuel as a general rule (almost a sin here in Iowa), but sometimes the 10% blend is a better deal (or the only option)
  • 10% ethanol is usually about 10% cheaper here, although at some places the difference is larger. 15% is available some places now, but not the stations I frequent so I can't speak to that.
  • My wife's car (2013 Honda CR-V) gets about 10% better mileage with non-ethanol fuel
  • The jury is still out on mileage difference in the Ram, but it is better. I'd guess more like 8% right now, but I really don't have enough data to be confident.
  • The 89 octane recommendation further confuses the calculus in the RAM. Often, the cheapest 10% ethanol is 89 octane, while the more expensive non-ethanol is only 87 octane. At some stations, you have to go to premium to get straight petrol (some have ethanol at all levels). The CR-V burns whatever so this is less of a concern with it.
  • Fuel range is important to me, especially in the winter. Fueling up when it's windy and 0°F sucks. The fewer times I have to do that, the better.
  • Ethanol is hard on small engines unless it is burned right away (my experience)
  • I would NOT keep a can of ethanol blend it in a can in my garage for occasional use. Not that it's dangerous to store, it just breaks down faster than straight petrol.
Fellow Iowa sinner here in avoiding the ethanol if possible. Frustrating I can't get 89 non-ethanol anywhere. I'm considering doing the 89 ethanol and adding 3 ozs of Bell Performance Mix-I-Go with each 33 gallon fill up.

Glenn54

Reaction score
We are very fortunate to have a gas station with non-ethanol gas about a mile down the road. In some of the more populated areas, it's hard to find non-ethanol gas. The cost is in line with all the other gas stations. I agree 100% with Pressgrove, don't store ethanol gas and let it sit for a long time. If you do, make sure you use a quality gas treatment.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Almost no non-ethanol here in NC, very occasional and often 30 cents higher. What I notice is the low priced stations quality really pulls down the mileage vs. top tier fuel. I went from 23 to 20 on the same trip, same speeds by getting a cheaper 87. It even happened with an 89 once!

Pressgrove

Reaction score
Almost no non-ethanol here in NC, very occasional and often 30 cents higher. What I notice is the low priced stations quality really pulls down the mileage vs. top tier fuel. I went from 23 to 20 on the same trip, same speeds by getting a cheaper 87. It even happened with an 89 once!

I tend to notice the same, but not 100% sure that's all there is too it. Too many other factors like wind, ethanol, and drive patterns to be sure. At ~600 mile range (33 gallons), each tank sees a lot of variation.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I tend to notice the same, but not 100% sure that's all there is too it. Too many other factors like wind, ethanol, and drive patterns to be sure. At ~600 mile range (33 gallons), each tank sees a lot of variation.
I was surprised that over the same road, same speeds I dropped 3 mpg. I didn't use cruise but am a very steady driver.

SSN765

Reaction score
Get the Pure Gas app or visit the web site to locate stations with o% ethanol. Here in central NC over 15 stations within 30 miles have from 87 to 93. Not all are top tier though. Most 0% pumps sit by themselves and you might not notice them might think they are kerosene pumps. Only use 0% for my power tools, generator and 2SS Camaro. With the Camaro I get 26-27 mpg vice 24 with regular gas. Car does sit for long periods of time and dont want to worry about separation especially over the winter due to summer only tires.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Brian42, the other gas at the pump is not E85, its regular gas but there is a sticker saying that it may contain up to 10% ethanol. I will take a picture next time I am there. I guess where I was unclear is with the cost being so close, and how octane ratings work, is it worth it to go down one octane rating 89 down to 88 and have no ethanol.
With only a 3¢/gal difference I would test it out. Run a few tanks of 88 then a few tanks of 89 and see which one does better for you (performance, fuel economy) and go with that one.

Price and ethanol are a consideration for me but not as much as the detergent package (Top Tier gas) and convenience (I'm not going to drive 15 miles out of my way to save a couple of bucks a tank). The owner's manual recommends Top Tier fuel in addition to 89 octane. People will scoff at that ("I've been running XXX for years without a problem") but this is my first new truck ever and plan to have it for the next decade so I plan to follow the fuel recommendations. IMO I would put Top Tier gas above ethanol content (as long as it's no more than E15).

Get the Pure Gas app or visit the web site to locate stations with o% ethanol.
Thanks for the info, I've never heard of that APP before. I'm going to have to check that out.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Get the Pure Gas app or visit the web site to locate stations with o% ethanol. Here in central NC over 15 stations within 30 miles have from 87 to 93. Not all are top tier though. Most 0% pumps sit by themselves and you might not notice them might think they are kerosene pumps. Only use 0% for my power tools, generator and 2SS Camaro. With the Camaro I get 26-27 mpg vice 24 with regular gas. Car does sit for long periods of time and dont want to worry about separation especially over the winter due to summer only tires.
I remember seeing that on the highway down from Greensboro to Hope Mills, pumps at some stations off all by themselves...

Derwoodjones

Reaction score
The only one in the City I live in is the one I mentioned. This will be handy as I do drive this truck for work. Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread