5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel Pump Went Out

Roaminglost

Reaction score
Update #2, I asked for the part # and started calling dealerships outside of CA and found 5 out of 6 so far.. WTF is FCA doing with their time?!

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After 30 days, just tell them to roll you in a new truck and lemon law it.

This.

Just keep in mind that if you mention lemon law to customer service, they'll cut off all communication with you at that point and you'll HAVE to use a lawyer. So pick your battles carefully.

Roaminglost

Reaction score
5 weeks later truck fixed. I hope no one else runs into this problem! The supply issues is for real

Reactions: c3k

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
That stinks, although it’s the first time I’ve seen this issue mentioned on this forum (and hopefully, the last).
Glad it’s fixed. Now go enjoy your truck!

Roaminglost

Reaction score
That stinks, although it’s the first time I’ve seen this issue mentioned on this forum (and hopefully, the last).
Glad it’s fixed. Now go enjoy your truck!
yeah its def not the most common. time to head north to oregon!

funtrucker

Reaction score
Honestly i never thought about the low tank and just filled up how ever but the truck was at 1/4 tank when it happened. so I'm not sure and it was 90 something degrees out when it went.
Have they repaired your truck? If so, how is it?
I had the same thing happen to me, yesterday. I had filled up several days prior and was on 1/4 tank and 90 degrees outside. My engine stalled while at a stop light and would not restart. I learned today that the fuel injector pump failed. I have had no problems before this with the engine. It ran great for almost 23,000 miles.
Now, I'm concerned that there may be metal in the fuel system. Will they test the injectors and fuel lines? Mechanic stated that the Bosch CP4 pump is the similar one used by Ford and GM. My son told me about the VW recall that replaces the fuel system when the pump goes.
Certainly going to ask some questions of the service folks next week.

Roaminglost

Reaction score
Have they repaired your truck? If so, how is it?
I had the same thing happen to me, yesterday. I had filled up several days prior and was on 1/4 tank and 90 degrees outside. My engine stalled while at a stop light and would not restart. I learned today that the fuel injector pump failed. I have had no problems before this with the engine. It ran great for almost 23,000 miles.
Now, I'm concerned that there may be metal in the fuel system. Will they test the injectors and fuel lines? Mechanic stated that the Bosch CP4 pump is the similar one used by Ford and GM. My son told me about the VW recall that replaces the fuel system when the pump goes.
Certainly going to ask some questions of the service folks next week.
5 weeks later they did repair it. it was all about waiting on parts but it sounds like something VERY similar. let me know what they said cause they told me the lift pump went out / injector pump

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
File for Lemon Law anyway. 30 days out of service is all you need. If anything use it as a bargain chip for a extended warranty. Best case, make a factory order for a perfect newer truck and swap when it comes in.

They are never going to fix their parts supply issues unless they start paying for it.

tguth011

Reaction score
The CP4 fuel pump failed on my truck at 10600 miles. No ETA on when the parts will be in to fix it.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The CP4 fuel pump failed on my truck at 10600 miles. No ETA on when the parts will be in to fix it.
You must be in Texas I presume…what dealer do you go to as I’ve noticed there are dealers in the Houston area who deny an Ecodiesel claim at the drop of a hat simply because they don’t have experienced diesel techs in their shop.

tguth011

Reaction score
You must be in Texas I presume…what dealer do you go to as I’ve noticed there are dealers in the Houston area who deny an Ecodiesel claim at the drop of a hat simply because they don’t have experienced diesel techs in their shop.
I am from Texas, but the truck broke down on a work trip to Yukon Oklahoma, where I am currently stranded waiting for a rental car or loaner to get back home. Talking to Mopar care to see what options I have.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am from Texas, but the truck broke down on a work trip to Yukon Oklahoma, where I am currently stranded waiting for a rental car or loaner to get back home. Talking to Mopar care to see what options I have.
Ah, now makes sense. For what it’s worth when I had my 2016 and 2017 Ecodiesel problems, I found it valuable to seek out another dealer when one dealer told me it would be months to get my truck back on the road. The alternate dealer had four experienced diesel mechanics and a parts manager who knew his way around the Ram system. They had both trucks back on the road in three weeks…not months like the other dealership indicated. I hope you get resolution soon.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those that have had pump failures were there any symptoms prior to the failure?

Im asking this as lately I’ve noticed my truck has experienced a longer than usual crank time when the truck sits for the night before starting. I’ve checked for fuel leaks and have found none and my fuel filter was changed around 3000 miles ago.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
i do have alot of miles on mine 44k and luckily still under warranty but yeah I'm hoping Monday I get a ETA
Document and go for lemon law the day your truck meets the criteria. Hope they give you some good news on the lead time though.

tguth011

Reaction score
For those that have had pump failures were there any symptoms prior to the failure?

Im asking this as lately I’ve noticed my truck has experienced a longer than usual crank time when the truck sits for the night before starting. I’ve checked for fuel leaks and have found none and my fuel filter was changed around 3000 miles ago.

I didn’t notice anything prior to it failing, the truck sputtered for a second and the check engine light came on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online