5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel pump or sensor

RHut

Reaction score
In my ongoing problems with my 2019 Limited with 110K on it: My radiator has a busted seam in the radiator. Cost to replace and flush the system (because I unknowingly put green antifreeze in the radiator to make it to the dealership and "contaminated" my system-is that even true) is $900. My fuel gauge has been going in an out. Sometimes its accurate, but lately it will sometimes show low fuel and the needle will show nearly empty when I know there is more fuel than that because I have recently filled up. They tell me I need my fuel pump replaced. Cost: nearly $2K because they have to take the tank off, etc. Can you guys give me some advice on this whole situation (see other threads about having to replace my exhaust manifolds for the third time). I'm at the point now I think I may just get rid of my Ram and go back to Ford F-150 (NEVER any problems like this through 130K miles) or move to Tundra like several of my friends have done and are completely happy.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
And some techron to a couple tanks and change where you buy fuel, use toptier fuel. toptiergas.com

You can't mix green antifreeze with the others , you have to drain and flush the system then you can use the green versions. You can get Preston in the silver jug, it's purple, and use it with others

RHut

Reaction score
Thanks! I'll try that before I replace the pump. Do you agree that the pump would cause this problem?

BowDown

Reaction score
It's not the pump itself, it's the fuel level sending unit which is built into the pump. Cheap gas without detergents will cause your fuel level problem, adding techron fuel system cleaner will fix it

RHut

Reaction score
So last night after returning from a late night trip my truck wouldn't start. At ALL. Nothing. Tried to jump with a starter battery. Nothing. I discovered that the negative battery cable was a little loose (enough to affect the charge) We tightened the connection and tried again with the with jumper cables and another vehicle. Close but no cigar. So I took the battery to NAPA this morning and they said it had a dead cell. I replaced the battery and when I started the truck the fuel gauge was working again. Could that have had anything to do with my faulty readings before the battery was replaced?

6of36

Reaction score
So last night after returning from a late night trip my truck wouldn't start. At ALL. Nothing. Tried to jump with a starter battery. Nothing. I discovered that the negative battery cable was a little loose (enough to affect the charge) We tightened the connection and tried again with the with jumper cables and another vehicle. Close but no cigar. So I took the battery to NAPA this morning and they said it had a dead cell. I replaced the battery and when I started the truck the fuel gauge was working again. Could that have had anything to do with my faulty readings before the battery was replaced?
With these high tech vehicles, a bad battery causes all sorts of problems. They are super susceptible to voltage.

BowDown

Reaction score

Yes, the electronics in modern cars are sensitive to voltage

Users who are viewing this thread