5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel Pump Failure @ 40k miles - 2019 Ram 1500

robinck

Reaction score
Long story short, just got a call from the dealer that the fuel pump failed on my 2019 1500 5.7 with 40,200 miles on it. Has anyone experienced this? It was purchased CPO and they told me earlier that I am still under a 60k mile powertrain warranty. Now they're telling me it's not covered and will cost $1,470. Would that really not be covered under warranty?

The other day, the truck would sputter out a second later after cranking/starting like normal. If I gave it some gas for about 15 seconds, it would stay running. I then noticed it seemed down on power and was getting much worse fuel mileage which led me to believe it was a spark plug, injector, fuel pump, etc. issue. However, at the same time it also developed a significant transmission bucking where above 1500 RPM it would feel like it was wheel hopping. It was intermittent at first but today was constant and does it to the back wheels in 2WD and clearly does it to the fronts as well in 4WD. There was no CEL until this morning when I started it to take it to the dealer close by and when I got there and shut it off, it wouldn't restart and it was clear the fuel pump had finally fully gone. The bucking was so harsh that I really didn't think at the time it was an ignition or fuel issue and was transmission related, but I'm no expert. Could the bucking be caused by a bad fuel pump and would that really not be covered under warranty at this point?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't think a fuel pump is part of the powertain. So, no, it wouldn't be covered.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
That sucks, that is too early for a fuel pump, but as mentioned above, it's not part of the powertrain warranty.

It may be hard to do now because of drivability issues, but since you will have to come out of pocket now, I would get a quote from your local independent shop for the repair, It's likely quite a bit lower.

robinck

Reaction score
That sucks, that is too early for a fuel pump, but as mentioned above, it's not part of the powertrain warranty.

It may be hard to do now because of drivability issues, but since you will have to come out of pocket now, I would get a quote from your local independent shop for the repair, It's likely quite a bit lower.
Yeah, kicking myself now for not finding an independent shop since I was able to drive it to the dealership, but really thought there could be a transmission issue as well. Suppose I could look into having it towed but may just have to chalk it up to an expensive lesson. Thanks everyone for the replies, I may try giving FCA a call since this is a decently costly repair so early in its lifespan.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Yeah, kicking myself now for not finding an independent shop since I was able to drive it to the dealership, but really thought there could be a transmission issue as well. Suppose I could look into having it towed but may just have to chalk it up to an expensive lesson. Thanks everyone for the replies, I may try giving FCA a call since this is a decently costly repair so early in its lifespan.

If you have AAA, it maybe worth it to have it flat bedded over to a independent shop, assuming you get a price quote before committing to that, assuming it's worth the effort.

But as mentioned above, I would call your dealership and see if you can get some goodwill on your CPO.

GARebel19

Reaction score
How hard are the fuel pumps in these trucks? The last pump I did was in a 94 Silverado and it was actually pretty easy. Unbolted the bed off the frame, moved it back to clear the fuel tank, and switching the pumps was straight forward.

Users who are viewing this thread