5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel injector cleaning service star case - tied to fuel pump recall?

jhoffy22

Reaction score
I took my vehicle in for service due to some CELs and messages to service the electronic throttle body. Also went into limp mode.

Along with diagnosing my vehicle with a bad crank position sensor and tone wheel, they're recommending a fuel injector cleaning service (see below).

This snippet has me curious.

"PER STAR CASE FUEL INJECTOR CLEANING SERVICE NEEDS PERFORMED FOR CODES LISTED ABOVE BEFORE ANY POSSIBLE FUEL INJECTOR REPLACEMENT"

Does anyone know what this star case is tied to? The fuel pump recall potentially? I'm trying to assess whether or not this is just an upsell add on to my warranty service or something I need to get serviced. 2020 ecodiesel with 50k miles.

Thanks in advance.

Screenshot 2023-12-10 at 9.06.27 PM.png

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
Not certain as to what the Star case is tied to, but I will say my dealer tried to charge me 700 dollars for a similar injector cleaning service when my truck produced a CEL noting "fuel injection quantity lower than expected P026C." Read as, a partially clogged injector. Even with truck under factory warranty, they said the cleaning was a maintenance item and not covered...

But they are just checking boxes as far as diagnostics goes, Stallantis/FCA wants to make sure they aren't putting pricey new injectors in a truck that might just have a minor injector clog. However if they're going to do that and then find out that you have a bad injector that needs to be replaced, they shouldn't be charging you anything at all. Not to mention your issue deals with injection timing, which a bad crank position sensor is most likely causing. That makes the injector cleaning a bit of a moot point in my eyes. That cleaning service should be covered under warranty as your CEL is on and your truck won't pass an emissions test with that light on, but FCA doesn't see it that way.

If you're a gambling man/woman you might want to try a store bought injector cleaner additive after they fix your tone ring and Crank sensor. HotShot's Diesel Extreme turned off my CEL and got rid of a small hesitation in acceleration that I was experiencing earlier this year.
Best of luck - Mike

Users who are viewing this thread