5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel Gauge shows diesel but truck is not diesel

burnzbiz

Reaction score
Anyone on here ever seen this issue? I have a 2020 1500 limited and under the fuel gauge it has "diesel" but my truck is not a diesel. I find this really odd.....

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone on here ever seen this issue? I have a 2020 1500 limited and under the fuel gauge it has "diesel" but my truck is not a diesel. I find this really odd.....
Did you buy it used?

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
It's possible the truck was damaged in an accident or the dash got broken somehow and repaired with wrong parts

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
don't ever let someone borrow your truck with less than 3/4 of a tank in it...sheesh, that's crazy!

ChrisID

Reaction score
just a factory assembly issue. If you've ever been to a plant, it's mayhem. Keep the line moving at almost all cost. So, yours was rolling down the line and the assembler put in the wrong one or they did it on purpose to keep the line moving. If it's an easy plug and play without removing a lot of the dash then I'm sure they will replace, but if it requires a lot of disassembly I'd leave it and get some kind of concession.
A little nice sticker would be smart at a min.

knightro84

Reaction score
Does it also have a DEF gauge and the tach only go to 5k RPM? Sounds like whoever manufactures the instrument cluster made a whoops on that one as opposed to the factory installing the wrong cluster.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Quite a mishap..., fortunately a diesel nozzle wont fit the filler neck

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’s a 2020 according to the original post. Something funky’s going on.

bucolic

Reaction score
It’s a 2020 according to the original post. Something funky’s going on.

Yeah, 1st post and a really strange issue. Could be someone from the Chevy forums over here busting chops :love: 😄

Would love to see a video on this (photos are too easy to manipulate). This is a pretty serious mistake if made at the factory.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Well, mistake do happen from the factory sometimes. There was that 2019 with the chrome window trim on one side and black on another. But there was that Silverado with completely different front seat than the rest of the cab and the Ford with wrong mix & match tail lights.

It happens, even before Covid. The dealer should get this fixed, however I would fully inspect the rest of your truck just in case they missed something.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
This is on what is basically a 3 year old truck. It's doubtful the original buyer of this truck would let that go. They'd have had it taken care of when it was first purchased. The more likely scenario is the previous owner wanted to upgrade his gauge cluster, and installed this one.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have another theory, but I’m holding back right now.

Users who are viewing this thread