5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel Gauge Question

n8zcc

Reaction score
First fill-up of my new 2022 ECODiesel with a 33-gallon tank (at least that is what the BS and WS say). Fuel gauge read 1/4 tank left, the fill-up took 19.5 gallons when I was expecting around 23 to 24 gallons. Are the gauges that far off or did they screw up and give me the standard size tank?

I also noticed the fuel level fell like a rock from just past a 1/2 tank to a 1/4 tank. Are these gauges that non-linear?

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You know if it was really empty when it reads empty, trucks and cars would be sitting everywhere on the side of the road. There's still a few gallons in there when it reads E so you can make it to the gas station.

I think I got 28 gallons in mine when it said I only had a couple miles left to go.

Yes, the gauge is that inaccurate too.

jkm312

Reaction score
Mine is fairly accurate as far as I can tell. I very seldom run it lower than 1/4 tank. It keeps the fuel pump submersed and cooled so it doesn't ware out any faster than it has too. Now the gauge on the Harley, that is purely for entertainment purposes. I always, without fail reset the trip meter when I fill the tank. At 125 to 150 miles it's time to fill up again. I look a lot more stately riding that big brat than pushing it down the road because I ran out of gas.

mcd3620

Reaction score
When I picked it up from dealer it said 13 miles to empty, they gave me a gas card to speedway and I pumped 29 gallons in even though I have the 33 gallon tank as well.

tolh13

Reaction score
Take a look under your truck mine is a 33 gal and it runs from the def tank all the way to the back axle and has some writing on the back that probably will tell you which tank or what is your range when full and your avg MPG.

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
When I first got my truck I ran it until the low fuel light came on to get a base line and was approximately 27.25 gallons to fill at that mark. I’ve also ran an additional 35 miles past the low fuel light coming on in November while towing 7k# and it was 30.5 gallons to fill. I had plenty of extra fuel in my trailer just in case that 33 gallon tank that they list is not correct. I’d bet it could be slightly more.

In my 4th Gen with a 32 gallon tank, I’ve put as much as 31.25 gallons in it when towing.

When the Fuel Light comes on when towing I zero the second trip meter to gauge what fuel amount is in the tank when continuing prior to filling.

n8zcc

Reaction score
It looks like I do in fact have the 33-gallon tank based on the posts, thanks for the replies. I failed to mention in my OP that I was expecting the same behavior as my 2013 with the 33-gallon tank. That is what threw me off and made me suspicious.

Users who are viewing this thread