5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel Economy

devildog61554

Reaction score
Hello everyone, new to the forum. Was hoping some of you would share your gas mileage with me. I find myself in the market for a new Ram 1500, trying to decide between the V6 e-torque and the V8 e-torque. Any help would be appreciated.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello everyone, new to the forum. Was hoping some of you would share your gas mileage with me. I find myself in the market for a new Ram 1500, trying to decide between the V6 e-torque and the V8 e-torque. Any help would be appreciated.
Welcome to the forum. There's quite a few threads on economy in this place. You'll see some people having terrible gas mileage while some others like myself have really good gas mileage. Keep in mind there are so many factors that affect MPGs in so many ways. Myself...I have a Hemi Etorque 4wd 3.21 axle ratio. With 80% highway I'm averaging about 25 mpg. That's both what my truck says and what hand calculated says.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Get the Hemi. If you aren't going to tow often or if you don't plan on a lift and big tires; then get the 3.21 gears. Even my 3.92 non-Etorque Hemi averages around 17 mpg daily and 19-21 highway; 3.21 will do a little better. The V-6 is a good engine; but if you get on the highway with wind or hills, the V-6 is going to be working hard at a high RPM.

zlman

Reaction score
3.92 rear end, e-torque. 18.1 avg all summer, winter is here in MN, at 15.9 today, idling and 4wd use.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I haven't reached beyond 15mpg yet with just city driving, but I did not buy the truck to concern myself with gas mileage. I knew I was going to take a hit coming from a little SUV, said it outloud many times. Got the truck because i wanted it, it's fun to drive. HEMI non etorque with 3.92...more truck than I will ever need but I love it!!

RSZ

Reaction score
I had a 2012 Town & Country with the 3.6L V6. My truck with the HEMI isn't much worse on fuel than the van was. Pushing all that weight requires fuel, no matter if it's 6 or 8 cylinders.

BoudinBall

Reaction score
The Off Road Group with 3.92 will kill your mileage. So if you’re looking for 20’s on the highway don’t go that route.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2019 Bighorn, Hemi non etorque with 3.92 gears... pretty consistent 18mpg average city/highway. I’ve gotten 20+ Highway on long trips and as low as 14-15 in stop & go city. Basically, it varies between 14-21. And I ain’t complaining.... Smiles Per Gallon!

Fishwiz

Reaction score
The Off Road Group with 3.92 will kill your mileage. So if you’re looking for 20’s on the highway don’t go that route.
Yup. I have that setup (BTS) and I'm struggling to maintain 16 at 65-70mph (and less as I increase speeds to around 80). City is about 14 or lower.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bighorn Hemi, 3.92, leveled on 33’s. Probably 80% city 20% highway. In the 13’s and my foot is not heavy. Never recalibrated with the bigger tires but shouldn’t be much of a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2020 1500 ORP, hemi w/o E Torque 3.92’s and running 33” E rated tires. Regularly average mid 16’s for mixed driving, 19-20 easily on road trips.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Please bear in mind that I have under 2000 miles on the truck, so she is definitely still "breaking in."
2020 non-etorque Hemi, 3.92 gears, aggressive A/T tires (stock size), and I'm averaging just under 14 MPG right now, 95% city.
Took it on one highway trip so far. I was able to get about 18 MPG @ 80+ MPH (speed limit is 80 on the interstate here) because there was no wind at the time.

Its starting to dip a little because of the cold weather we're getting up here now, and the winter blend fuel. Prior to the colder temps and winter blend, I was averaging 14.5 MPG, same 95% city.

JimD007

Reaction score
My 2019 Classic does not have eTorque but I am averaging just over 22 mpg of mixed driving. My truck is 2WD V6. I write down the gallons in a little notebook each fillup and then calculate mileage in a spreadsheet, this is not from the truck display. I have calculated over 25mpg on the highway but that was one tank running about 70 mph. I have 3.21 gears. I have about 7800 miles on it.

I've driven my truck from my home in SC to my daughters in Missouri. So I crossed the little Alleghany mountains. I never felt the truck was underpowered (I was not carrying much more than just me) but it is noticable when the truck downshifts for hills. It rarely goes much over 2,000 rpm and I don't think it ever went over 4,000 but you do hear it when you are cruising at around 70 mph and go up even small grade and it downshifts to 7th or even 6th. I don't think it's working hard at 1700 rpm in 7th or 2,000 rpm in 6th but it is noticable it isn't still in 8th. I'm getting used to it but it could use some more sound insulation. Maybe the nicer models have it, mine is a Tradesman.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If you care about mpg, avoid a Rebel Hemi without eTorque if you mostly drive city and have a slightly leaded foot. My lifetime mpg is 13 mpg. Not that I'm complaining, I was expecting it based on the specs.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Hemi with Etorque 3.21 gears is averaging about 17mpg with a lot of stop and go driving back and forth to work. On the highway I average 21-22 mpg if I keep it under 75mph. At 80 mph it falls to 18-19

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you care about mpg, avoid a Rebel Hemi without eTorque if you mostly drive city and have a slightly leaded foot. My lifetime mpg is 13 mpg. Not that I'm complaining, I was expecting it based on the specs.

The wheels and the gearing...I get the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My Hemi with Etorque 3.21 gears is averaging about 17mpg with a lot of stop and go driving back and forth to work. On the highway I average 21-22 mpg if I keep it under 75mph. At 80 mph it falls to 18-19
I pretty much get the same mpg’s as stated above except mine is a straight (non-ET) hemi Limited 4x4 CC 5‘7”.
My son has the same 2019 truck save for a 6’4” bed and he gets much worse, never exceeding 14 in town and occasionally 18-19 highway. My guess is that the extra idling and a heavier foot is the difference.

When I had test driven a 4x4 Laramie with the v6 and then a hemi back to back on the same route, I definitely preferred the hemi. Had an ecoboost F150 prior, it had a harsher ride and more spartan interior.

What are you buying a truck for? If you tow or live in a hilly area, don’t settle for the 6 IMO. If you care much about resale, same thing.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is me all day...love the get up and go and I can't worry about gas. Prices are good right now so let's have FUN!

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I'm the same way, I'm getting about 15.1mpg now, 14.7 with a bunch of gridlock! Almost entirely city, and the highway driving involves idiots, onramps, and hills.

Highway, the best I got (with only the exhaust mod) was about 19mpg.

3.92 gears on a Rebel, though adding magnaflow exhaust and the ramair intake likely helped - the way I drive it, brought it back to earth.
Switching from the duratracs to toyo AT3s, will likely improve a fraction of an mpg as the AT3s wear in. IIRC they are a smidge taller than the duratracs were.

Users who are viewing this thread