5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel economy with black package 22’s

Tilter

Reaction score
Will it be better or worse than sport package 20’s and of so by how much?

Rich_Neagle

Reaction score
Will it be better or worse than sport package 20’s and of so by how much?
I have this package. Black Laramie with black appearance group. 3.92 gears. Average 15mpgs.but I only have 800 miles on it.. so maybe it will get better.

67 RT

Reaction score
I have the exact same package. 2600 miles and averaging 13.6 for the life. It’s been the same since I drove it off the lot.

WRH

Reaction score
I'm getting about 14 around town, 18 on the highway, 8-10 when towing my small toy hauler.

Tilter

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Think your 22’s are hurting your mileage?

67 RT

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Think your 22’s are hurting your mileage?
I don’t care, honestly. I didn’t buy it for mileage. I don’t think it is hurting as I seem to be getting about what everyone else is getting who drives with a heavy foot mostly city

WRH

Reaction score
If it is, I don't know to know cause it's a done deal now for me ;)
I am getting lower than expected when I bought it, and I tend to drive pretty mild. Part of that could be the tires... I'm not sure.

...I want bigger/beefier tires--which will make it even worse.

Newtododge

Reaction score
Got 1700 miles and getting 11.2. I did expect to get around what’s advertised especially with the etorque motor. Love the truck thus far but the gas mileage is about to push me to another vehicle. 11.2 is pathetically absurd

cjmst23

Reaction score
I've never had any car, truck, suv, or van I've owned get anywhere near the listed mpg. Those numbers are calculated downhill with a tailwind. I'm always 80% of those listed numbers due to driving habits and unrealistic testing conditions.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've never had any car, truck, suv, or van I've owned get anywhere near the listed mpg. Those numbers are calculated downhill with a tailwind. I'm always 80% of those listed numbers due to driving habits and unrealistic testing conditions.
I’m averaging 20+ so far. I know it will go down over winter due to warm ups and thicker oils, but I am pleased so far. My Gen 4 averaged 1 mpg over the listed numbers averaged over 65000 miles.

GM convert

Reaction score
22’s Limited, I don’t have the 3.92’s and I can easily average 21 mpg at 60/65 mph.

Phoon

Reaction score
I have the black package 22's and 3:92 and average 13.5 l per 100km/ 18 mpg us.

This is about the same as i got with my previous truck, it was a 17 with 20's and 3:21 gears. I would say that the larger heavier wheels are never going to affect your mileage positively, however the effect is likely negligible. Once they are rolling in a highway scenario it won't make much difference, the tread pattern and compound will make more of a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread