5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel Economy 3.21 vs 3.92

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Great report, sure shows what wind does. Imagine wind and towing a big frontal area trailer... better have a couple spare gas cans with you!
My brother with an 8.1 Chevy DRW 3500 4x2 routinely got 6-8 towing heavy (17K fiver) but once in western Kansas got as low as 3 mpg in a stiff headwind..he almost ran out of gas!

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agree with you on this one. If mileage is that big of a concern don't buy a full size truck.
My thought as well. I've never checked the fuel economy on this truck and I probably never will. It's a big truck and as long as it's getting 14 or more I'm pretty happy.

rumatt

Reaction score
The difference in annual fuel costs between 24 and 21 mpg at current prices and 15K miles a year is 60 cents a day.
My math says 69 cents per day. :D

But seriously, yeah... every time I do the math on the cost of a moderate change in fuel efficiency, I'm surprised. It's not nearly as much as I would expect.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The difference in annual fuel costs between 24 and 21 mpg at current prices and 15K miles a year is 60 cents a day.
Which is why I don't bother checking :) I put about 7k miles on the truck per year. If I got 20 MPG, that would be 350 gallons. If I got 15 MPG that would be 467 gallons. That's a huge jump in MPG, yet we're talking about $200-250 per year in that 5 MPG range. If I can't find 20 bucks a month to not have to worry myself to death about fuel economy I really need a different vehicle. I remember back in 05-07 when gas prices jumped way up there and all the guys on the Titan forum were dumping their trucks - many of them at a loss - and buying Corollas and stuff like that. I tried showing them on spreadsheets that it made zero sense to take a loss on the vehicle just to get better gas mileage, since it would take a boatload of driving to make up the loss, but you just couldn't speak math to some of these guys. There were guys looking at taking $5-10k hits to buy cheaper vehicles to save $1k in gas per year, and that's when gas was $4.

Like everything, half of life is just showing up with the right tool for the right job. If you drive 30k miles a year by yourself on paved highways and don't haul anything more than a cooler you probably got the wrong tool for the job, unless you just have money to burn in which case have at it :)

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
"If you drive 30k miles a year by yourself on paved highways and don't haul anything more than a cooler you probably got the wrong tool for the job, unless you just have money to burn in which case have at it :)"
In our case it was my wife who wanted the RAM (as opposed to what I thought was a more "sensible" vehicle like a JGC or Honda Pilot or even a Kia Telluride) and we fit that description only 1/3rd the annual mileage! First new "car" she has ever gotten to pick out in 34 years so...:whistle:

iamtheav8r

Reaction score
"If you drive 30k miles a year by yourself on paved highways and don't haul anything more than a cooler you probably got the wrong tool for the job, unless you just have money to burn in which case have at it :)"
In our case it was my wife who wanted the RAM (as opposed to what I thought was a more "sensible" vehicle like a JGC or Honda Pilot or even a Kia Telluride) and we fit that description only 1/3rd the annual mileage! First new "car" she has ever gotten to pick out in 34 years so...:whistle:
I don't need or want anyone telling me what I *should* drive. I'll drive what I want and unless someone else is paying for it, they can stfu! :)

Users who are viewing this thread