5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frustrate Rambox experience -- resolved by dealer

acat

Reaction score
Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone has the same experience with the Rambox like I do.

My passenger side rambox is very hard to close, see that vid, based on the weather condition, it may becomes more tough to close, although the driver side is pretty smooth to close.

Today morning, I stopped by a dealer and they said, as long as it can close, MOPAR won't let them do the replacement fix and the only way to fix this issue is a replacement to the whole rambox, so they did a note on my account as 2k miles now, its hard to close, and asked to check back on 5k miles see if its still the same then notify MOPAR to see how they response.

Totally unacceptable, but I know even I stay there, its just kinda of waste both side time, what do you think @RAMCARE?

I really don't buy this is Normal!

fixed by dealer now, kudos to them

Last edited:

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone has the same experience with the Rambox like I do.

My passenger side rambox is very hard to close, see that vid, based on the weather condition, it may becomes more tough to close, although the driver side is pretty smooth to close.

Today morning, I stopped by a dealer and they said, as long as it can close, MOPAR won't let them do the replacement fix and the only way to fix this issue is a replacement to the whole rambox, so they did a note on my account as 2k miles now, its hard to close, and asked to check back on 5k miles see if its still the same then notify MOPAR to see how they response.

Totally unacceptable, but I know even I stay there, its just kinda of waste both side time, what do you think @RAMCARE?

I really don't buy this is Normal!

Take a look inside at your stationary latch. If it has four male bolt ends you can simply adjust the striker to make it easier to close. If it's an earlier build like mine, you'll have two male ends and at the bottom two welded in nuts with bolts sticking out. Still adjustable, but requires removing the boxes to adjust. I've done it twice now on my own as I'm confident I can adjust these with no property damage better than the Ram techs I've encountered so far.

I've got a post on how to remove the RamBox and adjust if you search for it. No need to suffer.

acat

Reaction score
Take a look inside at your stationary latch. If it has four male bolt ends you can simply adjust the striker to make it easier to close. If it's an earlier build like mine, you'll have two male ends and at the bottom two welded in nuts with bolts sticking out. Still adjustable, but requires removing the boxes to adjust. I've done it twice now on my own as I'm confident I can adjust these with no property damage better than the Ram techs I've encountered so far.

I've got a post on how to remove the RamBox and adjust if you search for it. No need to suffer.

Thanks for the tips, but unfortunately not, the bottom two were welded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, but unfortunately not, the bottom two were welded

So you've got the same ones I do. It's not that difficult and I outlined how I adjusted mine here:

First time should take you an hour or so, going slow and eyeballing everything once the box is removed. You can use your keys and test the latching while the RamBox is removed. Key is needed since the electric open won't work while it's unplugged and out of the truck. Mark you're current latch location on both sides with a pencil and then you can adjust it so it's perfect.

Note, don't make it too loose or when you reinstall it the RamBox lid will not match up with the rest of the bed. Make it so that it matches your other side in closing force as it sounds like that one works right for you. I set mine a bit tighter originally so they lined up perfectly with the bed. After opening and closing for the winter months they still look lined up and close just fine.

brikozy

Reaction score
I thought the same thing when I picked up my new Laramie... no way these brand new boxes should be so hard to close. I have good news though! Don't try to shut them like you would a hood or a trunk. Simply lower the door and press the lid against the latch hook. They don't close from the vertical motion of a slam; they close when the lid meets the latch, which happens to be a horizontal press inward directly over the latch. Since I figured that out they both close with the slightest push every time. Good luck!

acat

Reaction score
I thought the same thing when I picked up my new Laramie... no way these brand new boxes should be so hard to close. I have good news though! Don't try to shut them like you would a hood or a trunk. Simply lower the door and press the lid against the latch hook. They don't close from the vertical motion of a slam; they close when the lid meets the latch, which happens to be a horizontal press inward directly over the latch. Since I figured that out they both close with the slightest push every time. Good luck!

Thanks man, doesn’t work...

Ramcare doesn’t show up as well, sad

Ram92131

Reaction score
Mine is similar, but I haven’t found it to be an issue yet.

RichT

Reaction score
sounds like the conversation with the dealer was centered around replacement. if uncomfortable diy'ing it, i would go to them with the adjustment information and ask them to adjust them.

acat

Reaction score
Fixed by dealer, kudos to them
0c971f60a11369653ee590a40b9efb32.jpg

Bluesurf

Reaction score
On my passenger side I use my palm on top of the box to give it a good slam. One day i didn't and I saw in the passenger mirror the box popped up completely open. That's when I started "the good slam". It works. Maybe this will align it at some point soon.

Bookemdano

Reaction score
Mine is the same way - and on the passenger side, too! That's odd.

I just assumed it meant I have a good seal on the gasket. I'm sure it'll break in after a while and be easier to latch.

zigi

Reaction score
On mine the panels were falling off so after playing with them for a year and a half, they replaced both ram boxes. Then within 6 months the panels started delaminating completely, both sides, the only thing holding them now is the locks. Dealer epoxied them but again delaminated. Then they keep putting me off. For almost 2 years, they wouldn’t call me back, manager was never there. So finally put in a complaint with ram. They kept cancelling my complaint until I pushed it. They contacted the dealer and were told I overload the ram box and that’s why the panels are falling apart. The ram box has trouble unlocking and they said I had a folded up tarp in there that was interfering with the lock. That was 2 years ago. So now I can’t open my box and there is no warranty left. My fob is in the box but I can’t open the box to get my key and stuff out

Users who are viewing this thread