5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frozen on .......Loading screen

Rmazzei

Reaction score
Uconnect is not booting up. Upon start up all i get is the initial warning screen and .........loading. No radio but the control buttons for seats etc are shown.

Anyone experience this? Any ideas?

LV426

Reaction score
Did you try doing a reset by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes? There is no known "Normal" way to do a reset on this radio (like on your phone, etc...)
FYI, If you do this it takes a while for certain functions to come back (HVAC, Nav, etc).
If that doesn't work it's probably off to the dreaded dealer....

willR'kansas

Reaction score
Quite a few people having this issue. There is another thread about it. My dealer said stellantis is aware and working on software update to fix. We will see

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

INVISBLE

Reaction score
I talked to a uconnect rep 3 days ago and she said an update has already started propagating OTA to affected units. And this amongst several other issues are to be addressed one updated. She said they issued a TSB over it but was unable to allow me access to the number. Apparently dealers will not be to do any updating on their ends since it's an OTA only update. She told me to wait a week and if I dont get it then you call back and reopen my UConnect "cant find Sirius" bs issue.

JTL4P

Reaction score
This is a pervasive topic on this forum and many others and yet Ram cannot seem to fully address or offer a solution. The dealerships have no idea what to do other than factory resets. Collectively, we need to be pushing for a recall and make Ram fix the issue. Either hire computer software engineers that know what they are doing or give me my money back. If RAM truly cares and they want to keep Truck of the Year - then they better get busy on addressing problems.

My 2020 Laramie, crew, 5.7 gas/electric, 12" screen with 5,800 miles continues to have problems with the 'radio' locking up the screen. This has happened since I got the truck in Dec. 2020 but has gotten steadily worse over the the last 4 months.

Here's what happens:
About 80% of the time now, I start the truck and the screen pops up, I tap Accept on the disclaimer and then Sirius XM sits and spins trying to connect. Sometimes you can tap another source and it will switch but no sound and the volume knob doesn't work nor the steering wheel mounted controls. Other times you can't switch to anything - but no matter what there is no sound. So far the cameras still work and I can tap different views. Navigation works but of course no sound. I suspect it has to do with UConnect and Sirius XM. I've spent hours on the phone with Sirius troubleshooting to no avail, only to be told to take it to dealership which is totally clueless. It has the latest firmware.

How can this not be a service bulletin/known issue with a fix? I can turn the truck off and back on and the problem persists. I can turn the truck off and walk away for a while and turn it back on and will it will connect, but more often than not, it won't. I'm in open areas, not in the garage, etc. I've turned off the Sirius XM setting to enable location finding... makes no difference if that is on or off. If Sirius XM is the problem, then I just want to dump that so it doesn't lock up. If it's UConnect, Ram can keep that POS as well if it means I can have some sound.

RamCares - are you listening?!

Last edited:

INVISBLE

Reaction score
Supposedly they are and supposedly they have a solution... now let's see if they are fibbing or not. I will wait for another week or so and if I dont get the OTA update then I will be reopening my case.

It is definitely the most frustrating thing about my truck, this inability to get past looking for sirius.

LV426

Reaction score
*disclaimer* Im not complaining about the truck, I LOVE THE TRUCK and have already invested a extra bunch of $$$ into it...

The fact that @RamCares has not commented on any of the threads regarding issues with the 12" is proof in itself that there is a problem, i've seen them jump in when someone was mentioning a bent piece of plastic under the truck so...

Anyway, I've already provided the proof (Both SiriusXM & Uconnect state it) that there is a problem with the radio but It's difficult to get any details on whether it’s hardware or software related. I've read that there was a memory issue, others have claimed a reflash fixes "some" things, info is all over the place... I've been trying to get details from both companies via email & Twitter, people with problems should inquire more using those platforms.

My radio currently works for the most part but it's clunky and has random glitches & the SiriusXM services do not always function correctly. For the extra $2095.00 I would have expected it to perform better.

I 100% believe they got ahead of themselves when they made this radio, only worrying about the "Big Screen" factor and never fully optimized it. Too many involved and they all blame each other, lol...

Last edited:

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Supposedly they are and supposedly they have a solution... now let's see if they are fibbing or not. I will wait for another week or so and if I dont get the OTA update then I will be reopening my case.

It is definitely the most frustrating thing about my truck, this inability to get past looking for sirius.
I had an over the air update 2 days ago .

JTL4P

Reaction score
EDIT TO PREVIOUS POST - I just got a call from the stealership who says they will just replace the radio. That will be 2-3 weeks before it comes in and I take it back. I have a feeling I'm just kicking the can down the road. There is no doubt this is a software problem, so that needs to be fixed or this problem will continue.

EDIT: So after the dealership says they want to replace the radio, I finally called UConnect after unsuccessful problem-solving with Sirius. They told me too that they were aware of the frozen screen and volume issue and engineers were working on it. But, it would be 2-4 weeks at least for the OTA (over the air) update but to not let the dealership replace the radio. So I just decided to mess with it all - what can it hurt? I disconnected all devices from the radio (bluetooth, phones, etc.). I also tapped 'forget this device' in all the UConnect, Bluetooth, Sirius settings in all connected devices or phones. I then re-paired my phone and connected with lightning cable for Apple Car Play. I disconnected the mirroring, etc. I started the truck four times over the last 1.5 hours and each time the radio worked. I will check it again in the morning and see what happens and post back here. Some of you might try it.

EDIT: This morning, it's right back to not working again. So the above 'solution' didn't really work.

Last edited:

JTL4P

Reaction score
*disclaimer* Im not complaining about the truck, I LOVE THE TRUCK and have already invested a extra bunch of $$$ into it...

The fact that @RamCares has not commented on any of the threads regarding issues with the 12" is proof in itself that there is a problem, i've seen them jump in when someone was mentioning a bent piece of plastic under the truck so...

Anyway, I've already provided the proof (Both SiriusXM & Uconnect state it) that there is a problem with the radio but It's difficult to get any details on whether it’s hardware or software related. I've read that there was a memory issue, others have claimed a reflash fixes "some" things, info is all over the place... I've been trying to get details from both companies via email & Twitter, people with problems should inquire more using those platforms.

My radio currently works for the most part but it's clunky and has random glitches & the SiriusXM services do not always function correctly. For the extra $2095.00 I would have expected it to perform better.

I 100% believe they got ahead of themselves when they made this radio, only worrying about the "Big Screen" factor and never fully optimized it. Too many involved and they all blame each other, lol...
I think you are spot on with getting ahead of themselves and were enamored with the size of the 'iPad." That was certainly a buying point for me, so I guess it worked. But if I continue to have problems I will be a giant PITA for someone - just ask my wife.

JTL4P

Reaction score
I talked to a uconnect rep 3 days ago and she said an update has already started propagating OTA to affected units. And this amongst several other issues are to be addressed one updated. She said they issued a TSB over it but was unable to allow me access to the number. Apparently dealers will not be to do any updating on their ends since it's an OTA only update. She told me to wait a week and if I dont get it then you call back and reopen my UConnect "cant find Sirius" bs issue.

Last edited:

LV426

Reaction score
I would be interested if the replacement radio is a newer version, upgraded, etc... You should try to record the details from the current one and match it against the new one after the install, could be helpful especially if you continue to have issues.

66Fuelie

Reaction score
So I have a 21, I have not experienced the problem but I did get a OTA update on Tuesday .
It said "Installing PopupMessages_es_MX161400.jar"
Not sure what that was about.
Tom

RubyRam

Reaction score
This is a pervasive topic on this forum and many others and yet Ram cannot seem to fully address or offer a solution. The dealerships have no idea what to do other than factory resets. Collectively, we need to be pushing for a recall and make Ram fix the issue. Either hire computer software engineers that know what they are doing or give me my money back. If RAM truly cares and they want to keep Truck of the Year - then they better get busy on addressing problems.

My 2020 Laramie, crew, 5.7 gas/electric, 12" screen with 5,800 miles continues to have problems with the 'radio' locking up the screen. This has happened since I got the truck in Dec. 2020 but has gotten steadily worse over the the last 4 months.

Here's what happens:
About 80% of the time now, I start the truck and the screen pops up, I tap Accept on the disclaimer and then Sirius XM sits and spins trying to connect. Sometimes you can tap another source and it will switch but no sound and the volume knob doesn't work nor the steering wheel mounted controls. Other times you can't switch to anything - but no matter what there is no sound. So far the cameras still work and I can tap different views. Navigation works but of course no sound. I suspect it has to do with UConnect and Sirius XM. I've spent hours on the phone with Sirius troubleshooting to no avail, only to be told to take it to dealership which is totally clueless. It has the latest firmware.

How can this not be a service bulletin/known issue with a fix? I can turn the truck off and back on and the problem persists. I can turn the truck off and walk away for a while and turn it back on and will it will connect, but more often than not, it won't. I'm in open areas, not in the garage, etc. I've turned off the Sirius XM setting to enable location finding... makes no difference if that is on or off. If Sirius XM is the problem, then I just want to dump that so it doesn't lock up. If it's UConnect, Ram can keep that POS as well if it means I can have some sound.

RamCares - are you listening?!
Let me ask you a question. Are you using CarPlay?? My Unconnect goes schizophrenic and does all the things you describe and more, but only after using CarPlay. Sometimes it takes a few days for it to start acting up but sure enough it is CarPlay doing it.
The only way I can get everything to reset and start working is to disconnect the negative cable of the battery.

Users who are viewing this thread