5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front windshield fogs in the middle

Steele713

Reaction score
I would love to know if any others have experienced this. I am in florida and it is usually in the evenings ot happens. I keep ac on and Cold. Front windshield fogs up only in the middle. Drives me crazy. Wipers clear it and then it comes back. Read something about I think a cowl or something at the back of engine bay that causes this, but I can't recall 100% or the fix...anyone?

Attachments

• 20230917_192655.jpg
    20230917_192655.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 21

GyRoCoN

Reaction score
I would love to know if any others have experienced this. I am in florida and it is usually in the evenings ot happens. I keep ac on and Cold. Front windshield fogs up only in the middle. Drives me crazy. Wipers clear it and then it comes back. Read something about I think a cowl or something at the back of engine bay that causes this, but I can't recall 100% or the fix...anyone?
The cold AC air is causing humidity to condense on the outside of the glass. think of a cold can of beer with the cold liquid inside. you could try setting the airflow to come out of the panel vents to keep it from blowing onto the windshield. this is a common problem even us suckers living in chilly Canada experience on warm humid days. (yes we get them for a couple months of the year lol)

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You need to provide some info on your settings for us to better diagnose.
Are you using the automatic climate control with it set to a temp?
Do you have it set to just AC through the front vent?
Is it on vent + feet?
Or vent + windshield?

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes I experience this. I live in FL. I try to switch between recirc and fresh to control it best I can. I do not have AC hack. My AC is 51ish degrees at vent but plenty cold for me. Doesn't matter what setting but I always have my AC blow out the main vents.

Steele713

Reaction score
The cold AC air is causing humidity to condense on the outside of the glass. think of a cold can of beer with the cold liquid inside. you could try setting the airflow to come out of the panel vents to keep it from blowing onto the windshield. this is a common problem even us suckers living in chilly Canada experience on warm humid days. (yes we get them for a couple months of the year lol)
Ac is only blowing and set to vents. It is always on lowest/coldest setting. I have seen it on passenger window if wife has turned vent towards window, however I do not have ac set to come out anywhere but vents, this is why I get annoyed at it only appearing dead center of windshield only

Steele713

Reaction score
You need to provide some info on your settings for us to better diagnose.
Are you using the automatic climate control with it set to a temp?
Do you have it set to just AC through the front vent?
Is it on vent + feet?
Or vent + windshield?
No automatic setting. Set to LO on recirculation and only from vents. Fan was at 6 then dropped to 4. Odd it only fogs up dead center of windshield every time it does fog. Cold air is getting there somehow some way. Annoys the shi* outta me as it is an annoyance and a distraction, and ac is not an option here in Florida and I run it colder than most probably would

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine does it too. Annoying as hell.

Steele713

Reaction score
Mine does it too. Annoying as hell.
Must be just how it is and the cold air escapes in that area some how and cools the middle of windshield. I know I read something about a fix that had to do with blocking something under the "mesh" looking piece that wiper blades go through (if that explanation makes sense as to where I mean)

irishwake63

Reaction score
Im in FL as well and only get this in the mornings and yes it is annoying I thought about the heater core hack but my temp is like 43 coming from the vents so I dont think thats my issue

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The issue is (some) cold air getting sent to the windshield even though it isn't set for those vents.

Sdhills

Reaction score
I've experienced the same thing. Cold air leaking to windshield somehow.

Geddyflea

Reaction score
I'm in Tennessee and mine does it too. Usually in the mornings or humid / rainy days.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have this issue also. Living in Florida, set to 68* front vents only/recirc. Air is leaking thru the defroster causing this. If you reach up when this is happening, you'll feel the cold air leaking up there.

I took my truck to the dealer a few months back to see if a fix was in for this yet and they said they were unaware of one.

20230624_212023.jpg

Steele713

Reaction score
I have this issue also. Living in Florida, set to 68* front vents only/recirc. Air is leaking thru the defroster causing this. If you reach up when this is happening, you'll feel the cold air leaking up there.

I took my truck to the dealer a few months back to see if a fix was in for this yet and they said they were unaware of one.

View attachment 167497
Thanks for all the replies and I guess it is just how it is. I'll come up with some type of fix or at least to make it less, even if putting an insert over the defrost while not in use. Thanks again everyone

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
I have the issue also. But mainly in the morning. It is caused by high humidity outside and the way our air/AC system works by always blowing some air through the defroster vents. If you set the auto temp to 73 in the mornings it seems to help.

Scap

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the issue also. But mainly in the morning. It is caused by high humidity outside and the way our air/AC system works by always blowing some air through the defroster vents. If you set the auto temp to 73 in the mornings it seems to help.
No way. I'd be sweating at 73.

Users who are viewing this thread