5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front windshield defrost not on with remote start in cold WX

Rich

Reaction score
It's been getting cold here in NH (below freezing cold).

When I remote start, I notice the rear defroster is on, but I've never seen the front windshield defrost turn on!

My seat and steering wheel heat turn on, as well as the rear window defrost, but why not the front defrost?

I searched here and also the manual, but can't find any documentation to describe what to expect, not any settings to change to affect this.

Another thing for a dealer visit?

shauste

Reaction score
I've read elsewhere that if you set the control to defrost/foot before exiting the vehicle, it will then work with remote start. I believe the front defrost button is for the mirrors, not for the windshield. The windshield defrost is typically activated via the HVAC system.

Rich

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, but shouldn't the truck should do it automatically?

My other vehicles nhavr done this automatically if the temperature is in the freezing range. This is my first RAM, perhaps just expectations are off?

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I live in Michigan. My front defrost is on when I remote start if needed. I always have my HVAC set to Auto. Maybe that makes a difference.

shauste

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip, but shouldn't the truck should do it automatically?

My other vehicles nhavr done this automatically if the temperature is in the freezing range. This is my first RAM, perhaps just expectations are off?
Differences in manufacturers I guess. This is my second Ram with remote start and neither has turned on front windshield defrost automatically. You either have to set as I suggested earlier or set on AUTO as HeliPilot suggested.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure how Ram works, but in some FCA systems blending seems to depend on engine temp.

When cold, the air in my Durango is directed to the floor at first, but if defrost is selected it will automatically shift to the defrost vents when engine temp comes up.

Rich

Reaction score
Mine is always in auto. Been sub freezing and no defrost to windshield, perhaps it won't turn on windshield defrost until the engine is much warmer? The manual has no hints at all.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe the front defrost button is for the mirrors, not for the windshield. The windshield defrost is typically activated via the HVAC system.

heated mirrors are activated with the rear window defroster. i can find nothing as to defrost front windshield with auto start.

Front Defrost Button
Press and release the touchscreen button, or push and release the button on the faceplate, to
change the current airflow setting to Defrost mode. The indicator illuminates when this feature
is on. Air comes from the windshield and side window demist outlets. When the defrost button
is selected, the blower level may increase. Use Defrost mode with maximum temperature settings
for best windshield and side window defrosting and defogging. When toggling the front
defrost mode button, the climate system will return to previous setting.

Rear Defrost Button
Push and release the button on the touchscreen, or push and release the button on the faceplate,
to turn on the rear window defroster and the heated outside mirrors (if equipped). An indicator
will illuminate when the rear window defroster is on. The rear window defroster automatically
turns off after ten minutes.

also:
Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) — If Equipped Automatic Operation
1. Push the AUTO button on the faceplate, or the AUTO button on the touchscreen on the Automatic Temperature
Control (ATC) Panel.

2. Next, adjust the temperature you would like the system to maintain by adjusting the driver and passenger
temperature control buttons. Once the desired temperature is displayed, the system will achieve and automatically
maintain that comfort level.

3. When the system is set up for your comfort level, it is not necessary to change the settings. You will experience
the greatest efficiency by simply allowing the system to function automatically.

NOTE:
• It is not necessary to move the temperature settings for cold or hot vehicles. The system automatically adjusts
the temperature, mode, and blower speed to provide comfort as quickly as possible.

• The temperature can be displayed in U.S. or Metric units by selecting the US/Metric customer-programmable feature.
Refer to the “Uconnect Settings” in “Multimedia” for further information.

To provide you with maximum comfort in the Automatic mode during cold start-ups, the blower fan will remain on
low until the engine warms up. The blower will increase in speed and transition into Auto mode.

Rich

Reaction score
yes, the manual doesn't say much about it.

I don't have heated mirrors as unfortunately I found out, the tow package deletes the heated mirrors and adds tow mirrors which are not heated.

My rear defrost comes on automatically, but my front defrost has not come on. I have not waited a long time (maybe 2 to 3 minutes or 5 minutes max) to get in the car from a remote start.

We're supposed to get a snow storm this weekend, so maybe when I'm clearing my driveway of snow, I'll let the truck run a while from a remote start to see if the front defroster finally turns on.

Rich

Reaction score
I did a test today, it's about 25F here so it is cold out.

As soon as I got back from a drive, I let the truck sit about 5 minutes, so the engine was warm.

I then did a remote start.

The front window defroster did not turn on. So the engine temperature is not a factor on this.

Of course, if the truck knew it was warmed up, maybe it would not turn on the front window defroster, but the rear window defroster did turn itself on, so I'm not sure if I'm over thinking the truck's logic on this.

I would have expected the front defroster to turn on as the temperature is cold enough outside to require it.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have my Rebel set to Auto since day of delivery and windshield is clear after every remote start. On average -20°c here lately, very cold mornings with no problem.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine definitely does come on. Vehicle is set to auto. I had to switch it off of defrost manually the other morning because I was cold. Window had not yet completely defrosted when I did.

Rich

Reaction score
Mine definitely does come on. Vehicle is set to auto. I had to switch it off of defrost manually the other morning because I was cold. Window had not yet completely defrosted when I did.

So you see the front defrost button lighted?

Maybe it's not cold enough here yet? Monday should be sub 0, so I'll check again.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The front defrost light will not come on if auto temp is on. The system will adjust what air is needed where on it's own as the truck warms.

Rich

Reaction score
The front defrost light will not come on if auto temp is on. The system will adjust what air is needed where on it's own as the truck warms.

I did feel the air vent at the windshield and didn't notice a lot of air, but I was expecting to see the defrost button lit. I'll check this again.

Thanks for the tip.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So you see the front defrost button lighted?

Maybe it's not cold enough here yet? Monday should be sub 0, so I'll check again.
Not sure about the light, never looked at it, but the truck was at max defrost when I got in. I’ve never manually set it to defrost. There was a lot of frost on the windshield though. I suspect, if the middle upper portion of your windshield is not covered over with frost (over the sensors) the truck will not switch to defrost.

RAM309702

Reaction score
When I read my owners manual it said though uConnect you can control heated steering wheel, and heated seats with remote start. Did you check there to see?

Rich

Reaction score
When I read my owners manual it said though uConnect you can control heated steering wheel, and heated seats with remote start. Did you check there to see?

Yes, but there is no setting for front defrost.

Not sure about the light, never looked at it, but the truck was at max defrost when I got in. I’ve never manually set it to defrost. There was a lot of frost on the windshield though. I suspect, if the middle upper portion of your windshield is not covered over with frost (over the sensors) the truck will not switch to defrost.

I don't think I have any sensors there as I don't have many advanced features.

On past vehicles, it used temperature to decide if heat or defrost would turn on automatically when remote starting. This is my first FCA vehicle, so perhaps there is a different logic being used.

I'm headed out to snowblow now and it's about 14F outside, so I'll test it again and burn some gas and let it warm up to see how it handles the snow and ice on the windshield.

M

Mdegen93

Just leave the climate on auto. When the truck is heating it will always blow toward the windshield and feet

shauste

Reaction score
heated mirrors are activated with the rear window defroster. i can find nothing as to defrost front windshield with auto start.

Front Defrost Button
Press and release the touchscreen button, or push and release the button on the faceplate, to
change the current airflow setting to Defrost mode. The indicator illuminates when this feature
is on. Air comes from the windshield and side window demist outlets. When the defrost button
is selected, the blower level may increase. Use Defrost mode with maximum temperature settings
for best windshield and side window defrosting and defogging. When toggling the front
defrost mode button, the climate system will return to previous setting.

Rear Defrost Button
Push and release the button on the touchscreen, or push and release the button on the faceplate,
to turn on the rear window defroster and the heated outside mirrors (if equipped). An indicator
will illuminate when the rear window defroster is on. The rear window defroster automatically
turns off after ten minutes.

also:
Automatic Temperature Control (ATC) — If Equipped Automatic Operation
1. Push the AUTO button on the faceplate, or the AUTO button on the touchscreen on the Automatic Temperature
Control (ATC) Panel.

2. Next, adjust the temperature you would like the system to maintain by adjusting the driver and passenger
temperature control buttons. Once the desired temperature is displayed, the system will achieve and automatically
maintain that comfort level.

3. When the system is set up for your comfort level, it is not necessary to change the settings. You will experience
the greatest efficiency by simply allowing the system to function automatically.

NOTE:
• It is not necessary to move the temperature settings for cold or hot vehicles. The system automatically adjusts
the temperature, mode, and blower speed to provide comfort as quickly as possible.

• The temperature can be displayed in U.S. or Metric units by selecting the US/Metric customer-programmable feature.
Refer to the “Uconnect Settings” in “Multimedia” for further information.

To provide you with maximum comfort in the Automatic mode during cold start-ups, the blower fan will remain on
low until the engine warms up. The blower will increase in speed and transition into Auto mode.
I checked this out and you are correct about the button. I stand corrected.

Users who are viewing this thread