5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Window Tint % Preference

Lufty

Banned
Reaction score
I tinted the whole windshield 50% on my Ram and my wife’s Jeep Grand Cherokee windshield is tinted 50% also and she LOVES it almost as much as hearing her Hemi thru that Corsa exhaust!
No more sunglasses at night for us! 😎

Luciank- the back is tinted glass, not a film, not sure you’ll ever match that perfect from the inside looking out...

Last edited:

Caulk Boss

Reaction score
Do you think the benefits of having the ws clear tinted for heat rejection is worth it for the possible risk of frying the computer? I'll be honest, I was Gung ho before but once I learned of the computer issue I went limp.
Why would tinting the front windshield cause damage? Sorry, just picked up my Ram Friday and it's going in tomorrow to get fully tinted including the windshield

Swag1981

Reaction score
Why would tinting the front windshield cause damage? Sorry, just picked up my Ram Friday and it's going in tomorrow to get fully tinted including the windshield

One of the main PCM’s is located right under the dash on the drivers side. Since applying tint needs a lot of fluid, that is then squeegeed out, there is a high risk of water getting into this PCM if proper precautions aren’t taken. Some tint shops won’t do front windshields at all.

Mine didn’t want to even do my brow tint, but I had applied rags all around the PCM and into the gap on the top of the dash, but they still made me sign a liability waiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Water from the installation, they need a lot of it. A good installer will use a special windshield/dash rope (aka Soakshield) to suck up any moisture from a windshield install, but some don't bother to do it and excess water can get behind the dash and damage electronics.

Caulk Boss

Reaction score
Water from the installation, they need a lot of it. A good installer will use a special windshield/dash rope (aka Soakshield) to suck up any moisture from a windshield install, but some don't bother to do it and excess water can get behind the dash and damage electronics.
Ahhh ok thank you..I just screen shot your reply to show my installer tomorrow lol

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Ahhh ok thank you..I just screen shot your reply to show my installer tomorrow lol

Also ask if they remove door panels to install the tint, some do and some don't. I prefer they don't myself so I don't worry about them damaging anything or putting it back wrong, but some prefer they do so they tint it under the panel all the way. But seems like most modern techniques don't require door panel loosening or removal.

Here is a good vid on the water rope....

This shows you the non-door panel removal technique...

Caulk Boss

Reaction score
Also ask if they remove door panels to install the tint, some do and some don't. I prefer they don't myself so I don't worry about them damaging anything or putting it back wrong, but some prefer they do so they tint it under the panel all the way. But seems like most modern techniques don't require door panel loosening or removal.

Here is a good vid on the water rope....

This shows you the non-door panel removal technique...

So we are good to go! His response

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210429-004149_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20210429-004149_Messenger.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 91

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
When I had ours done 2 yrs ago with a clear ceramic he didn't have a waiver but did comment about the potential issues. No problems though and the big azz windshield wasn't as hot which was just as well as I had the crappy ac... That's supposed top be fixed with 21's now.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe a stupid question... does the factory tint in the rear door windows do anything for UV or heat reduction? Or should some clear ceramic be put over those (I don't want darker than 20%)?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Maybe a stupid question... does the factory tint in the rear door windows do anything for UV or heat reduction? Or should some clear ceramic be put over those (I don't want darker than 20%)?
Unlikely. Rear tint is usually just for privacy.

YELOSUB

Reaction score
20% ceramic all the way around...My rear door windows have factory tinted glass so 20% over them brought it down to probably 5-10%...Not too dark are hard to see out of at night...

RJNavarrete

Reaction score
I got quoted $375 with lifetime warranty for Rayno Ceramic Tint (going with 20% on fronts, 35% rears to try to get somewhat of a match). I'm in California, for what it's worth. Thoughts? It seems like a decent deal.

GeorgiaBoy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not an expert by any means, but the installer I plan to use said the factory glass is actually colored glass, not an actual film. And it provides NO UV or heat protection, only privacy. I will be putting 15% on rear glass to achieve "Limo" dark.

Users who are viewing this thread