5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Wheel Fell OFF!

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good news to report. The dealership in Huntington Beach CA inspected the truck and replaced the truck with a brand new truck with the identical equipment package.
Happy for my daughter to get a new truck and not a repaired truck.
Also thank you Mark from RamCares for offering to help any time if we needed it.
A good result!!! RAM stood behind their product!
View attachment 60205
This was 100% the right move on their part. Happy for your daughter to feel safe with a new truck

ramhead

Reaction score
It's pretty obvious that she isn't going to get anything if she sue after she got a new truck...

LOL...not very versed in the legal system and underhanded lawyers, huh? Not saying his daughter or he is the type but there are plenty of people around today who might sue over the "emotional trauma" or Ptsd -type claim that such a situation is claimed to have caused - especially when the alleged "responsible party" has deep pockets. Never assume just because you and others are rational or have morals that everyone does. In fact, I wouldn't blame the dealer looking to cover its azz using such a sign off for protection against a future claim.

Last edited:

JD fixes it

Reaction score
The service manual indicates an upper ball joint torque of 26 ft. lbs., plus another 180 degree turn. Likewise, 38 ft. lbs. plus another 195 degree turn for the lower ball joint.

From 2019 Ram DT Service Manual
02 - Front Suspension / Front, Independent Front Suspension / Technical Specifications
TORQUE SPECIFICATIONS

DESCRIPTION​
N·m​
Ft. Lbs.​
In. Lbs.​
COMMENT​
Half Shaft Nut​
250​
184​
—​
Hub And Bearing Bolts​
50 + 165°​
37 + 165°​
—​
Lower Ball Joint Nut​
51 + 195°​
38 + 195°​
—​
Lower Control Arm Nuts​
100 + 145°​
74 + 145°​
—​
Strut Rod Nut​
35​
26​
—​
Shock Absorber Lower Bolt​
168​
124​
—​
Shock Absorber Upper Nut​
70​
52​
—​
Stabilizer Bar Bolts​
45​
33​
—​
Stabilizer Bar Link Lower Nut​
119​
88​
—​
Stabilizer Bar Link Upper Nut​
80​
59​
—​
Upper Control Arm Bolts​
174​
128​
—​
Upper Ball Joint Nut​
35 + 180°​
26 + 180°​
—​
What is meant by "Strut Rod Nut" ?

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What is meant by "Strut Rod Nut" ?
I may not be of much help, but I believe it is a single nut that is on the shock absorber upper shaft, not one of the three nuts that attach the strut assembly to the upper control arm. The service manual procedure artwork doesn't appear to call it out. The manual calls out a special tool, #9362, for removal.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045407 miles.

Jackpot50

Reaction score
After seeing myself what spec those ball joint nuts are torqued to at the factory, it's a miracle that this doesn't happen more often.

When I put my leveling kit in, I put my suspension hardware back together tighter. The factory settings are scary. Even on solid axle Jeeps they only use something like 25-30 ft/lbs on the castle nuts. Crazy. On my 2020 Ram, I could have removed the ball joint nut with a 1/8" drive ratchet and my left hand. I couldn't believe it.

After seeing myself what spec those ball joint nuts are torqued to at the factory, it's a miracle that this doesn't happen more often.

When I put my leveling kit in, I put my suspension hardware back together tighter. The factory settings are scary. Even on solid axle Jeeps they only use something like 25-30 ft/lbs on the castle nuts. Crazy. On my 2020 Ram, I could have removed the ball joint nut with a 1/8" drive ratchet and my left hand. I couldn't believe it.
You do realize that the spec that Neurobit posted
That spec is 38 ft. lbs. then turn nut another 195 degrees over 1/2 a true, pretty tight.
someone missed this.

Users who are viewing this thread