5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front usb ports dead and android auto not working

maddog49

Reaction score
A new media hub fixed mine today. Had to push on all 4 clips and then from the front to get the old one out. 6 screws to get the console out (2 under hidden panels at the front). The new part number 68397098AE

rceagle1a

Reaction score
Had my media hub replaced because it would only charge but wouldn't play thumb drive music and CarPlay didn't work. Took the dealer a month to get one in stock because it was back-ordered. Works as it should now.
Ad me to the GROWING list of FAILED media hubs, FCA better get a handle on this!

dn325ci

Reaction score
Just a update. 7 months later it still works perfectly.
Is this solution still working for you? I've been having intermittent (maybe 1 time in 10) connection problems with CarPlay. I'm thinking about buying this and changing it myself since my truck is beyond warranty on miles now.

ctrent

Reaction score
I noticed my front two usb do not work sometimes either 2019 ram bighorn sometimes it will sometimes it wont. When I get in and start her they don't work yesterday when i got home i plugged phone in and it was charging so it was like it needed time to work? My bumper to bumper is gone so just gonna try and get a different usb for phone.

Lookingglass4

Reaction score
This is on a 19 limited with the 12" screen, several high quality cables and multiple Galaxy s9 phones.

Has anyone had the front 2 USB ports (non USB c ports) just stop working? My android auto was working intermittently and then has stopped working entirely. This is only the bottom 2 ports (1 and 2). The top ones on 1 and 2 charge.

Different phones and cables all fail to charge or work with android auto. The rear ports all work except the uconnect does not read the rear USB port now.

Could this be the media hub going bad or something else? Pretty frustrating.

*** Update***
After the truck sat overnight the front ports are lit up again and now its all working again. So its not the cables or phones
This is a Radio/Audio/USB issue; hoping someone on this page has the answer.

Truck Info: 2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Laredo with the 12” touchscreen display. 45,000 miles so yep it’s out of warranty.
Issue: A few months ago, the two front USB ports began malfunctioning. When plugged in to an iPhone or iPad, they cycle between “charging” to not charging at 2-3 second intervals. CarPlay is impossible, because the connection is not consistent.

Initial actions taken: Swapped cords/cables, swapped devices, tried the rear seat USBs and those work normal (but they don’t allow CarPlay by design). Updated iOS, turned everything off then on. Also tried cursing at it... but no effect.
Updated.... tried the cable/iPhone combination in my Dodge Charger...CarPlay and charging cable worked perfect. ITS NOT THE CABLE.
Updated... just tried the "disconnect battery for 15 mins, then reconnect and wait 30 mins" technique. No luck. Now cameras dont work.

Dealer wants $135 just to diagnose it... I cannot imagine that I’m the first person in history of the world to have this issue... so if it’s a known issue.??
Looking for answers...
TIA.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This is a Radio/Audio/USB issue; hoping someone on this page has the answer.

Truck Info: 2019 Dodge Ram 1500 Laredo with the 12” touchscreen display. 45,000 miles so yep it’s out of warranty.
Issue: A few months ago, the two front USB ports began malfunctioning. When plugged in to an iPhone or iPad, they cycle between “charging” to not charging at 2-3 second intervals. CarPlay is impossible, because the connection is not consistent.

Initial actions taken: Swapped cords/cables, swapped devices, tried the rear seat USBs and those work normal (but they don’t allow CarPlay by design). Updated iOS, turned everything off then on. Also tried cursing at it... but no effect.
Updated.... tried the cable/iPhone combination in my Dodge Charger...CarPlay and charging cable worked perfect. ITS NOT THE CABLE.
Updated... just tried the "disconnect battery for 15 mins, then reconnect and wait 30 mins" technique. No luck. Now cameras dont work.

Dealer wants $135 just to diagnose it... I cannot imagine that I’m the first person in history of the world to have this issue... so if it’s a known issue.??
Looking for answers...
TIA.

Ram doesn't make a Laredo please confirm model or better yet fill out your signature block.

cjh0702

Reaction score
When I hook up my wireless charging cradle to my media hub up front, it will charge for 5 seconds, then stop charging for 3 seconds. And it will continue this pattern. I made sure my wireless charging cradle wasn't malfunctioning by plugging it into the USB port inside the console. It works perfectly fine there. I also bought a cigarette lighter USB charger and it works great on that as well.

When I took it to the dealer, they claimed they couldn't recreate the issue. I went back up there to show them what the issue was. They then claimed that my wireless charger was malfunctioning because I was plugging it into one of the 4 ports up front, which are meant for data. They said they ran a check on all 4 ports up front and they came out working fine. At that point, I just went and picked up my truck because they had it all day.

The issue still persists though. And I call ********. I don't know how the data portion of the USB hub would interfere with a wireless charger. Am I being dense? Or should I take it to another dealer to check?

warri

Reaction score
AA Android auto was working well for me until yesterday. Would not display on ucconect all day yesterday. Port is working as the phone is charging
Go into your phone developer setting change default usb to data transfer reboot

Barqs

Reaction score
When I hook up my wireless charging cradle to my media hub up front, it will charge for 5 seconds, then stop charging for 3 seconds. And it will continue this pattern. I made sure my wireless charging cradle wasn't malfunctioning by plugging it into the USB port inside the console. It works perfectly fine there. I also bought a cigarette lighter USB charger and it works great on that as well.

When I took it to the dealer, they claimed they couldn't recreate the issue. I went back up there to show them what the issue was. They then claimed that my wireless charger was malfunctioning because I was plugging it into one of the 4 ports up front, which are meant for data. They said they ran a check on all 4 ports up front and they came out working fine. At that point, I just went and picked up my truck because they had it all day.

The issue still persists though. And I call ********. I don't know how the data portion of the USB hub would interfere with a wireless charger. Am I being dense? Or should I take it to another dealer to check?
Have you looked into how much current the wireless charger pulls vs. what those data ports are rated to provide? It sounds like you are on the edge of pulling too much current so the "smarts" in the wireless charger or the USB hub are constantly detecting a power issue and resetting.

cjh0702

Reaction score
Have you looked into how much current the wireless charger pulls vs. what those data ports are rated to provide? It sounds like you are on the edge of pulling too much current so the "smarts" in the wireless charger or the USB hub are constantly detecting a power issue and resetting.
Good point. I assumed that all of the USB ports, regardless of whether they were data or not, were pushing the same amount. Also worth noting that I tried using the usb-C ports up front but they were having the same issue as their usb counterparts. And I assumed that they were pushing more current, so it shouldn't have been an issue.

The wireless charger works with the usb in the armrest, which doesn't push data. I'm using this port for now. But I want to be able to use my front ports. Could this be a software issue, or a connectivity issue? Does anyone know where to find the specs for the usb hubs and tell if they are rated differently than the ports that don't support data?

Rylan

Reaction score
hey I'm new here, I've recently traded my 12 tradesmen for 2019 1500 bighorn and I'm having this usb issue with the charging cycle and no AA or CP but all of my ports have started doing this, it did it once before but then corrected its self but now it seems it's here to stay could it be a fuse ?

Big_D

Reaction score
hey I'm new here, I've recently traded my 12 tradesmen for 2019 1500 bighorn and I'm having this usb issue with the charging cycle and no AA or CP but all of my ports have started doing this, it did it once before but then corrected its self but now it seems it's here to stay could it be a fuse ?
Same here. All of the usb ports and plugs in the center console just cycle on and off to the point there are unusable. The dealership was unable to find the problem. Checked fuses, wiring , checked for updates and still no luck. If your problem has been solved let me know what was done please . It's quite frustrating

Rylan

Reaction score
Same here. All of the usb ports and plugs in the center console just cycle on and off to the point there are unusable. The dealership was unable to find the problem. Checked fuses, wiring , checked for updates and still no luck. If your problem has been solved let me know what was done please . It's quite frustrating
hey Big_D so it seems that changing the cord has slowed it down, instead of doing it almost every drive it does it mabey once every 2 weeks, it must be something that certain cords cause the ports to short, or something, the cord I'm using is a sosche. hope you are having better luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/