5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front usb ports dead and android auto not working

maddog49

Reaction score
This is on a 19 limited with the 12" screen, several high quality cables and multiple Galaxy s9 phones.

Has anyone had the front 2 USB ports (non USB c ports) just stop working? My android auto was working intermittently and then has stopped working entirely. This is only the bottom 2 ports (1 and 2). The top ones on 1 and 2 charge.

Different phones and cables all fail to charge or work with android auto. The rear ports all work except the uconnect does not read the rear USB port now.

Could this be the media hub going bad or something else? Pretty frustrating.

*** Update***
After the truck sat overnight the front ports are lit up again and now its all working again. So its not the cables or phones

Last edited:

Rick8325

Reaction score
Had my media hub replaced because it would only charge but wouldn't play thumb drive music and CarPlay didn't work. Took the dealer a month to get one in stock because it was back-ordered. Works as it should now.

maddog49

Reaction score
I updated my original post with more info. Now it's working after sitting overnight? Seems like maybe a software issue.

csmith2007

Reaction score
AA Android auto was working well for me until yesterday. Would not display on ucconect all day yesterday. Port is working as the phone is charging

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My truck is coming in next week and I have a question about the USB's. I believe there are maybe 10 of them? 4 USB-C's and 6 regular USB's? But anyway, are they all supposed to be charging and media? I thought I read somewhere that only some of the USB or USB-C ports allowed media/data transfer? Can anyone confirm if the all transfer both power and media, or which ones do which.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The only ones for media are the ones up front. There are two usb a and two usb c. They are in pairs, so one usb a/c combo and then another usb a/c combo. These are usable, practically, only for the driver and passenger. The rear usbs are for charging only.

Barqs

Reaction score
One of the two ports in the back console (at least in my Laramie) can also connect for media. The active ports are clearly numbered.

Hunterrj

Reaction score
This is on a 19 limited with the 12" screen, several high quality cables and multiple Galaxy s9 phones.

Has anyone had the front 2 USB ports (non USB c ports) just stop working? My android auto was working intermittently and then has stopped working entirely. This is only the bottom 2 ports (1 and 2). The top ones on 1 and 2 charge.

Different phones and cables all fail to charge or work with android auto. The rear ports all work except the uconnect does not read the rear USB port now.

Could this be the media hub going bad or something else? Pretty frustrating.

*** Update***
After the truck sat overnight the front ports are lit up again and now its all working again. So its not the cables or phones

For me the same excat thing was happening and I was in a panic! Seems like a simple fix but I rebooted the phone and all was working again.

maddog49

Reaction score
Unfortunately today as we leave for a big trip they are down again. It definitely seems to be something with the truck not recognizing the hub. I'll have the dealer dive into it when we get back but how annoying right before our first big trip.

maddog49

Reaction score
I went in to get mine updated and the radio would not take the update. Their was a 1 month old star case but still no fix from engineering. Android auto work occasionally and since its reproducible I'm sure its the software now (or maybe the media hub). Waiting a few weeks to see if the star case is updated. Very frustrating to spend top money for a limited truck and have all these software problems. Android auto is a important feature to me and it's obvious it's not working for many.

Rick8325

Reaction score
I went in to get mine updated and the radio would not take the update. Their was a 1 month old star case but still no fix from engineering. Android auto work occasionally and since its reproducible I'm sure its the software now (or maybe the media hub). Waiting a few weeks to see if the star case is updated. Very frustrating to spend top money for a limited truck and have all these software problems. Android auto is a important feature to me and it's obvious it's not working for many.
I'm surprised all dealers don't know that this is a known issue by now. My dealer even knows about the compass issue some of us have where CarPlay navigation puts the map in a different location until the compass kicks on. They will eventually replace your media hub and it will work as it should.

TheFluke88

Reaction score
I'm surprised all dealers don't know that this is a known issue by now. My dealer even knows about the compass issue some of us have where CarPlay navigation puts the map in a different location until the compass kicks on. They will eventually replace your media hub and it will work as it should.
Yes 99% sure it is the Media Hub. Had the same issue. USB would charge/connect to media one day, then wouldn't the next. Was intermittent like that for several weeks before taking it to the dealer. They "reset" the hub and got it working. Then it failed again a few days later. Thats when they decided to replace the hub and no problems since. (3+ months)

maddog49

Reaction score
Asked the dealer to order a hub and they did. Waiting on it to arrive to be installed

maddog49

Reaction score
According to my dealer this part is not stocked well and it could be a few months before we get it. Now looking for alternatives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/