5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Tow pull hook install and Mod 3 hours picks.

Cattail cruncher

Reaction score
Well put the tow/pull hooks on the Laramie Roil PITA. If you do this put the truck up on some ramps and use a sleeping bag for neck support. The instructions are straight forward, install is not. In Rams infinite wisdom they put retaining clips on the rear bolts and you have to pound them out 8" of them. I could not figure out why they would not come out (crescent wrench around bolt and washer and hit it with hammer till you pound the bolt out) The plastic valances the destructions tell you to throw them out but don't do that, Save all hardware from valances! I used a dremmel cut off wheel to cut out the backs and bam new trim valances. (they should be included with the hooks IMHO because the chrome holes unfinished look well unfinished. Here is your picks.
#1 before
#2 #3 after
#4 cut out plastic do this from the back side not the front.
retaining clip on bolt Boooooo!

Attachments

• 6tVChYfKSRK7jeZV5qAEEA.jpg
    6tVChYfKSRK7jeZV5qAEEA.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 517
  • gFo4ZRCXRG6tURZ%z3%8uA.jpg
    gFo4ZRCXRG6tURZ%z3%8uA.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 545
  • hFYyC8i4Sk628QSmedOeww.jpg
    hFYyC8i4Sk628QSmedOeww.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 542
  • s4Z92bskT+iXDEav1C%cZA.jpg
    s4Z92bskT+iXDEav1C%cZA.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 526
  • xWecC4xZTcm9HawR2zLkFQ.jpg
    xWecC4xZTcm9HawR2zLkFQ.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 496

Cattail cruncher

Reaction score
looked at some picks and they come from factory with valances I bought this truck off the lot, If you want them and are ordering a truck just get the package that has them Cost $145.95 free ship, plus your time under a truck.
PS they are about 8 pounds each supper chunk.

Reactions: 356

mikemcfarland

Reaction score
looked at some picks and they come from factory with valances I bought this truck off the lot, If you want them and are ordering a truck just get the package that has them Cost $145.95 free ship, plus your time under a truck.

great job! i was on the fence for the off road package- ended up ordering with- but there will be many people that will want to add this feature.

Cattail cruncher

Reaction score
That was a good call, It was not a easy project but doable with some know how, newer trucks might not have those retention clips.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good to know! I assumed all the 4x4's would come with the tow hooks! Just looked at pics of mine (havent picked it up yet) and guess what, no hooks! (I dont have any offroad package, just 4x4 Laramie)

Cattail cruncher

Reaction score
Good to know! I assumed all the 4x4's would come with the tow hooks! Just looked at pics of mine (havent picked it up yet) and guess what, no hooks! (I dont have any offroad package, just 4x4 Laramie)
That was me, Im a hunter I need those hooks to help other hunters

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got the off road package and the chrome package and mine came with the truck and are chrome so the chrome package takes over on the hooks over the off road package

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You get the tow hooks with the protection package as well. It gives you skid plates along with tow hooks.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got the off road package and the chrome package and mine came with the truck and are chrome so the chrome package takes over on the hooks over the off road package
Not sure I'm a fan of chrome tow hooks like mine is coming with. I use them as front steps on the Excursion to get up into the engine bay and haven't figured out if I'll need a boost on the new Ram.
I guess entry/exit mode could take care of it.

Agitated

Reaction score

Where is the package with the trim rings? Link? All i can find are the hooks

Cattail cruncher

Reaction score
I did not get new trim rings with my tow hook install kit (not cool) so I mad my own out of the existing valances I am sure there is a part # if you want to order them instead. All I have seen is just the hook kits without trim rings.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to find the part number for the trim rings? I am thinking about installing them but I want the trim rings.

Douglas31

Reaction score
Has anyone been able to find the part number for the trim rings? I am thinking about installing them but I want the trim rings.
I was able to get the trim ring part numbers this week. They vary based on trim. The numbers I have are for my Laramie w/ Black appearance package so they should be the same for all with painted bumpers looking for black plastic bezels. The part number is 68274701AB. I was quoted $12.70 for the set of two. Hope this helps.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was able to get the trim ring part numbers this week. They vary based on trim. The numbers I have are for my Laramie w/ Black appearance package so they should be the same for all with painted bumpers looking for black plastic bezels. The part number is 68274701AB. I was quoted $12.70 for the set of two. Hope this helps.

Thanks, that is what I was looking for.

metb4

Reaction score
Thank you for posting this! Saved me today. Couldn't figure out why the bolt was not dropping. What a pain

Gsmagnum

Reaction score
Thank you!
You saved me some time and gave me a great use for the old hole pieces.

Users who are viewing this thread