5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front tow hook long bolt

aro

Reaction score
My new-to-me 2020 doesn't have the front tow hooks. I bought some aftermarket from Amazon, but when I got under the truck, it's missing the long bolts.

I've been searching online for the specs on those but couldn't find anything. Any ideas what I should get? Thanks

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, the tow hooks use (3) M14x2.00x85.00 hex bolts with coned washers. But since you’re referring to long bolts, I’m not sure.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Probably takes the same ones as mine.
2 ea. 6508668AA M14x2.00x45.00
@Accessory.Parts is one of the vendors on here, usually has these on hand individually or as a full kit. Hit them up and see what they got. :)

aro

Reaction score
Probably takes the same ones as mine.
2 ea. 6508668AA M14x2.00x45.00
@Accessory.Parts is one of the vendors on here, usually has these on hand individually or as a full kit. Hit them up and see what they got. :)

I saw those online, but the photo confuses me. It definitely doesn't look the right length. Now, I know oftentimes a stock photo is used... but is this the case here, or is the bolt too short...?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The super long bolts you might be looking at go up through the body mount, but your truck surely already has those. The ones I think you need go into the frame.

And here's a link to an old thread that might be helpful.

aro

Reaction score
No, that's the thing. My truck doesn't have those long bolts going into the frame, the ones that need to be hammered out.

The aftermarket tow hooks already come with the smaller bolts.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It sounds like you think you need #2 in the drawing.

96837406dff9fe0c26c3a74068f4b97c.png

Are you sure? What's holding the truck together now? Is it safe to drive?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score

aro

Reaction score
I sure hope it's safe to drive. I already drove 1k miles, but now I'm worried...

The truck is one of those certified pre-owned from a CJDR dealership. Tomorrow I'll go there and hopefully get some answers.

1.jpg

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do your front tow hooks look like this picture? If so, I don’t think that takes a long bolt.

1668352752361.png

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Long bolts through yellow circles below

1.jpg
2.jpg

Yeah, I'd be asking questions.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So these aren't the only bolts holding body and frame together. I'd want to check the rest to make sure they are present. Most likely it had tow hooks on before and previous owner pulled them off before trading it. IMO the dealer that certified it should be held responsible to fix stuff they missed. At least.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Jeez, that's crazy. Even though nothing broke down in 1k miles, I don't think I should be driving it for now.
Agree in principle, better safe than sorry. Personally, I wouldn't be afraid to drive at minimum legal speed to dealer or whatever shop fixes it, but that would be the only trip planned and as soon as can be arranged. If you're really worried, try to make them come pick it up.

aro

Reaction score
I found the bolts in store at another dealership closer to me, so I just bought them and put them in. Since the truck has the open bezels for tow hooks, someone must have removed the hooks and never put the bolts back in. (Who the heck would do that... "meh, just some really long bolts, don't look like they are needed")

Now I want to make sure none of the other frame bolts is missing. Probably not, but a visual inspection won't hurt. It looks like 10, 15 and 17 also go into the frame, but they look shorter, so not sure if they go all the way to the body. Other than those, can't see anything else in the drawing.
frame.png

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree with Rick. Most likely the prior owner put hooks on, then when he traded he took them off and kept ALL the bolts. Knucklehead...

Pro tip: Take out the small screws and drop your active air dam from the arms that hold it. Once that's out of the way, the two long bolts are a LOT easier. Trust me. Active dam panel is quick to screw back on afterward. Note that I don't mean unhook the air dam, leave the arms intact and just unscrew the dam itself from them temporarily.

Reactions: aro

aro

Reaction score
Pro tip: Take out the small screws and drop your active air dam from the arms that hold it. Once that's out of the way, the two long bolts are a LOT easier. Trust me. Active dam panel is quick to screw back on afterward. Note that I don't mean unhook the air dam, leave the arms intact and just unscrew the dam itself from them temporarily.

Thanks, I'll check it out. Putting in the long bolts was actually pretty easy, I just pulled on the air dam until the bolts cleared it.

However, things will get tight when I put in the tow hooks. It will be good to have some extra space to tighten those smaller bolts.

Users who are viewing this thread