5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front tire rubbing when turned max to left or right.

Rambilt

Reaction score
I bought the truck used with oversize tires "295/35 24R" The truck was not lowered or lifted it's on its stock height. Will a spacer fix the issue or would leveling the truck fix the issue. I am also thinking of going to a different tire size like "285/40 24R". I'm not really sure what to do. I tow a small travel trailer with my truck and it towed it beautifully. The problem is when I'm backing my trailer to a tight spot and I have to cranked the steering wheel left or right that's when it rubs slightly but very annoying. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

v/r

Rick

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I bought the truck used with oversize tires "295/35 24R" The truck was not lowered or lifted it's on its stock height. Will a spacer fix the issue or would leveling the truck fix the issue. I am also thinking of going to a different tire size like "285/40 24R". I'm not really sure what to do. I tow a small travel trailer with my truck and it towed it beautifully. The problem is when I'm backing my trailer to a tight spot and I have to cranked the steering wheel left or right that's when it rubs slightly but very annoying. Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

v/r

Rick
Since you say it has 24" wheels and nobody knows what the offset of the wheel is, will be hard for anyone to answer your question for certain

Rambilt

Reaction score
Since you say it has 24" wheels and nobody knows what the offset of the wheel is, will be hard for anyone to answer your question for certain
Thanks for the reply. I will have to figure out the offset and also the width of the wheel. I tried googling the manufacturer which is "Venice Wheels" but they have been discontinued. Thanks again for the reply.

v/r

Rick

Rambilt

Reaction score
The middle picture was from the dealership. As far as how it rides, I took if for a 300 mile or so trip towing my trailer and the truck rides beautifully even with the 24s. I had the psi set to 49lbs which is the max for these tires and per google you have to set the psi of the tire to its max psi if you are towing (not sure if that's true). For around town/city it's back down to 36 per the door sticker.

Attachments

• a7cbe8b286f943d1b0625eb7e1b3ebcf.jpg
    a7cbe8b286f943d1b0625eb7e1b3ebcf.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 2021 Ram 1500.jpg
    2021 Ram 1500.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 36
  • My Ram.JPG
    My Ram.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 35

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The middle picture was from the dealership. As far as how it rides, I took if for a 300 mile or so trip towing my trailer and the truck rides beautifully even with the 24s. I had the psi set to 49lbs which is the max for these tires and per google you have to set the psi of the tire to its max psi if you are towing (not sure if that's true). For around town/city it's back down to 36 per the door sticker.
The tires have a load rating. The only time you need max PSI in the tires is if you are close to the max load rating for the tire. Which would require going to a scale. Unless it was a heavy load, I wouldn't have worried too much.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Do you know where it's rubbing? It could be the plastic fender liner and a simple fix with a heat gun

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You need to see where the rubbing is occurring as you may be able to eliminate it by just heating up your wheel liner and pushing it back some

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Beautiful truck. You must have air ride to have retained a good ride with the 24’s. 🤨

Anyways…

A 295/35 is approx. 32.1 inches tall by 11.6 inches wide.
A 285/40 is approx. 33 inches tall by 11.2 inches wide.

If you rub now with your current tire, you may be worse off going with the 285/40 without a level of some sort. Adding in a level would cure most of your rubbing issues, but you may be able to fix it by heating and manipulating your well where it rubs.
I’m running 285/55/22’s and rubbed with a level and wheel spacers. Had to trim my mud flaps, but you don’t have any. So you’re prolly rubbing against the inside of the wheel well liner at full lock. I would start there. Getting it leveled will make it that much more cooler, tho😁
Good luck🤙🏽

Rambilt

Reaction score
The tires have a load rating. The only time you need max PSI in the tires is if you are close to the max load rating for the tire. Which would require going to a scale. Unless it was a heavy load, I wouldn't have worried too much.

I don't think I've maxed the load rating of the tire because my travel trailer is only 21' long. Thanks for the advise I'm dialing it back down to 36psi as recommended by the manufacturer. v/r

Rambilt

Reaction score
Do you know where it's rubbing? It could be the plastic fender liner and a simple fix with a heat gun
You need to see where the rubbing is occurring as you may be able to eliminate it by just heating up your wheel liner and pushing it back some
I did checked where it's rubbing and it is in the plastic fender liner. Heat gun is a good idea guys I didn't think of that all. Looks like a trip to Harbor Freight is in order. I appreciate the advise. v/r

Rambilt

Reaction score
Beautiful truck. You must have air ride to have retained a good ride with the 24’s. 🤨

Anyways…

A 295/35 is approx. 32.1 inches tall by 11.6 inches wide.
A 285/40 is approx. 33 inches tall by 11.2 inches wide.

If you rub now with your current tire, you may be worse off going with the 285/40 without a level of some sort. Adding in a level would cure most of your rubbing issues, but you may be able to fix it by heating and manipulating your well where it rubs.
I’m running 285/55/22’s and rubbed with a level and wheel spacers. Had to trim my mud flaps, but you don’t have any. So you’re prolly rubbing against the inside of the wheel well liner at full lock. I would start there. Getting it leveled will make it that much more cooler, tho😁
Good luck🤙🏽
Glad you provided the height difference between the two tires. I was really thinking of going to 285/40 for more height/rubber. 35 is a little thin for towing. It's one of the reasons why I was thinking of going to 285/40 besides the rubbing. I don't have an air ride. My truck have regular shocks.

What kind of levelling system did you have installed in your truck? I was thinking of "Ready lift". Thank you for your advise. v/r

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have Bilstein 6112’s up front, 5100’s in back with Icon 1.5 springs. I am originally ORP equipped, but there is nothing stock left from the ORP.
Many options for leveling, Readylift being one of them. I am using their tubular UCA’s from the 2 inch leveling kit.
Do good research, find one that fits your needs (and budget, if you have one), and go from there. Check out the suspension page. Tons of useful info there. Good luck🤙🏽

Rambilt

Reaction score
Well, this morning I've checked where the tires were rubbing from and you guys were right. The wheel well inserts were sticking out. Grab my Harbor Freight heat gun and I was able to reshape both away from the tires more towards the inside. No more rubbing!! Thanks guys I appreciate you all. This saves me from replacing the tires or buying a levelling system to raise the front. I'm good to go now. Thanks again. v/r

Users who are viewing this thread