5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Skid Plate

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score

here's everything you need to know

Agreed. This is the best writeup anyone could ask for. Nice work!

I received my plates from RCI today and figured I’d try to install quick during my lunch break. Looks really straightforward, but I’m also missing the nuts from my hardware package to complete install. I sent RCI a note so they have the opportunity to evaluate and update their hardware pack for future consumers.

As for me, I’ll have to make a run to the store. I ended the project quickly after starting.
1fe81c7068e2a5e7b9b752afeaa56cc8.jpg

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agreed. This is the best writeup anyone could ask for. Nice work!

I received my plates from RCI today and figured I’d try to install quick during my lunch break. Looks really straightforward, but I’m also missing the nuts from my hardware package to complete install. I sent RCI a note so they have the opportunity to evaluate and update their hardware pack for future consumers.

As for me, I’ll have to make a run to the store. I ended the project quickly after starting.
1fe81c7068e2a5e7b9b752afeaa56cc8.jpg
yeah im not sure what's going on there but it seems like they've been sending out Ram 1500 skids with missing hardware...
but not for other applications (4Runner, Gx, etc)
i ended up buying my own hardware lol

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got the kit installed.

For reference - my truck has the following:
- About a 2.5” lift in the front
- ORP with factory skid plates
- Air dams both removed
- Fumoto oil drain valve

I had to remove the factory transmission skid plate even to get the front RCI plate on. No real concern there since the RCI kit comes with a beefier transmission plate with wider coverage.

The hardware package needs work. I’m missing a M10 flanged bolt and 4 M10x1.5 nuts. I found the nuts at Home Depot and ended up using one of the factory bolts (with different head) in place of the bolt RCI should have put in the package. I ended up with 4 extra bolts and a bunch of other random hardware from RCI after the install.

Drain valve is completely accessible with this front skid plate kit. No concerns.

Overall impression is these are very high quality parts. No sharp edges, all of the metal work fit really well, it covers the area under the engine belts well, and isn’t super visible from the front of the truck… this kit checks all the boxes for me. Thanks for the recommendation, gents!
857b49037bc0f815127cb5579890e698.jpg

ce5e7b24255c9fb25698627a63307f72.jpg

frisby5

Reaction score
Got the kit installed.

- Air dams both removed
- Fumoto oil drain valve

I had to remove the factory transmission skid plate even to get the front RCI plate on. No real concern there since the RCI kit comes with a beefier transmission plate with wider coverage.

The hardware package needs work. I’m missing a M10 flanged bolt and 4 M10x1.5 nuts. I found the nuts at Home Depot and ended up using one of the factory bolts (with different head) in place of the bolt RCI should have put in the package. I ended up with 4 extra bolts and a bunch of other random hardware from RCI after the install.

Drain valve is completely accessible with this front skid plate kit. No concerns.

Overall impression is these are very high quality parts. No sharp edges, all of the metal work fit really well, it covers the area under the engine belts well, and isn’t super visible from the front of the truck… this kit checks all the boxes for me. Thanks for the recommendation, gents!

Do i need to remove the active air dam and the stationary one?

Alejandro_Andretti

Reaction score
Got the kit installed.

- Air dams both removed
- Fumoto oil drain valve

I was hoping it went all the way up to the front bumper. Gap looks huge still, Can you post a pic from a little further away

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was hoping it went all the way up to the front bumper. Gap looks huge still, Can you post a pic from a little further away
he didn't install the filler plate that goes to the front bumper.

see this pic for installed WITH filler plate:
1697413843481.png

see here for full install tips, tricks, review, and overview:

Alejandro_Andretti

Reaction score
he didn't install the filler plate that goes to the front bumper.

see this pic for installed WITH filler plate:
View attachment 169334

see here for full install tips, tricks, review, and overview:
That’s on a rebel. I believe he has a regular trim, the rebel skid goes a little further back so it fills the gap or am I missing something with this filler plate? I don’t see one

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
oh snap i looked wrong lol sorry i'm still adjusting my jetlag and not functioning at 100%

i guess the rebel bumper folds back more than regular bumpers. Can you take a pic of the bottom of your bumper? Let me see if i can help you

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I would say that I was also surprised it didn’t go further forward, but seeing pictures above of the Rebel I can understand why they cut it short to fit all models.

Mine is a Laramie, and there’s about 6.5” between front of plate and bumper at the middle without the front air dam installed on my truck. When I put the air dam back on, there is no gap between the bumper and skid plate.

It all depends on how you want to run it. If you want to keep your front air dam, there will be no gap on a Laramie bumper.

Without air dam:
f894098d499e4f934c86aec33ecf523e.jpg

With front air dam installed:
ef798504a55cf68b81f4e0424cd24f61.jpg

Last edited:

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would say that I was also surprised it didn’t go further forward, but seeing pictures above of the Rebel I can understand why they cut it short to fit all models.

Mine is a Laramie, and there’s about 6.5” between front of plate and bumper at the middle without the front air dam installed on my truck. When I put the air dam back on, there is no gap between the bumper and skid plate.

It all depends on how you want to run it. If you want to keep your front air dam, there will be no gap on a Laramie bumper.

Without air dam:

that confirmed my suspicion lol

side note: I've emailed RCI and included my writeups and this thread to invite them to be on the forum to answer questions and engage with community members. hopefully they join in!

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score

Without air dam:

That kind of sucks for people who don’t want to run the air dam.

Eltaco

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Significantly better than nothing. There isn’t much within that 6” span that I’m worried about protecting, and it would be pretty miraculous for foreign debris to bounce into that void perfectly and make it back to the engine.

Without this skid plate, that gap to the engine is huge and definitely concerning for me.

I’d still prefer the skid plate went further forward just to fill the void, but if it causes fitment issues with other bumpers such as the Rebel I completely understand it. Even in its current form I suggest it’s the best option available on the market today. I’d buy it again in a heartbeat.

Reaction score
I am just finishing up my design drawings and bend profile for a front diff skid will start working on the bumper to diff skid next. I dont like the large open area of the RCI if you are not running the air dam and a stock bumper. For me whats the point of adding real skid plates then leaving the fixed and active are dams in place. Even on mild trails I just about tore off the fixed air dam.

ram diff skid rev4 v1.jpeg

deepc6

Reaction score
For those looking for skid plates I just installed my RCI Metalworks full skid.

RCI is one of the brands that I have positive past experience with and trust. I've dragged my previous rig equipped with RCI skid through rocks multiple times and they held well. I've had customers that do Jeep things with their Toyotas and Lexus and their RCI skids passed the tests.

You can read the full overview, installation tips and tricks, and review here: RCI Metalworks Skid Plates: Engine, Tranny (and cat shield), T-Case Overview, Install, and Review

RCI's skids are compatible with ALL trim levels and ALL engine options except TRX (I think TRX is different). Also Included a front filler piece that goes between the first crossmember and bumper.
View attachment 167942

Is there access to drain the oil and filter or do you need to remove one of the plates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there access to drain the oil and filter or do you need to remove one of the plates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
there is access to drain oil and filter.

but if you install it correctly the skids are all stacked on each other, making removal of the plate a breeze.

t-case skid
tranny skid
engine skid
filler plate

like that. the end of engine skid sits below the tranny skid, so to remove just unbolt the bolts that hold the tranny skid and the engine skid and loosen the bolts holding engine skid and filler plate. slightly and slide the engine skid out.
whole process shouldn't take you more than 30 seconds.

TelkaKit

Reaction score
I was surprised to find out too, I had to buy it myself. I can't find that exact link right now but somewhere -somewhere on the 2015 f250 delete kit . Somewhere i searched there and found it. I like this site in general because there is a lot of different stuff and you can match it to any model

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread