5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Seat Cushion - Disassembly & Assembly Instructions

dreinert

Reaction score
Does anyone have instructions to remove/install the front seat base leather cover?

I have a Limited and the leather texture didn't match on the driver's seat; I was thinking they'd replace the whole base (foam and leather) but they just replaced just the leather cover and did a fairly terrible job installing the new cover. Flat spots, piping is high all around, wrinkles in a corner.....obviously looking back on it I should have just left it alone.

There are YouTube videos for older Ram's but I didn't see any for the 2019 and I'm not sure what's different.

My other thought is to just take it to a automotive interior place and see if they can fix it. If you have any experience with it and would just suggest to go to a professional, I would appreciate that feedback as well.

Happiicamper

Reaction score
Does anyone have instructions to remove/install the front seat base leather cover?

I have a Limited and the leather texture didn't match on the driver's seat; I was thinking they'd replace the whole base (foam and leather) but they just replaced just the leather cover and did a fairly terrible job installing the new cover. Flat spots, piping is high all around, wrinkles in a corner.....obviously looking back on it I should have just left it alone.

There are YouTube videos for older Ram's but I didn't see any for the 2019 and I'm not sure what's different.

My other thought is to just take it to a automotive interior place and see if they can fix it. If you have any experience with it and would just suggest to go to a professional, I would appreciate that feedback as well.

Hello, did u ever find anything?

Thanks
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dreinert

Reaction score
Hi Matt,

Unfortunately I didn’t. The work the dealer did wasn’t great, it was hardly good after their 3rd try. I would go to an upholstery shop if I ever had to do it again.

Dallas

BrickWurX

Reaction score
The process is not overly complicated, but it is a time consuming. I underestimated the time it would take me to properly install leather seats, and the tools needed to do the job correctly. Even if you pull your seat, you may not be able to correct the cover properly without steaming and stretching the leather to fit well. Which may be why the dealer did a shoddy job. My suggestion would be to see if you have a local upholstery shop that will take a look. If they can heat and work your leather with the seat installed and cut you a fair price. it may be worth kicking out a little money for the time saved.

If you are pretty handy with things like this, pull the seat and work on it inside. You could always rent a steamer and see what you could do. The seat has for reverse torx bolts holding it down. Pull the negative cable on the battery before removing the harness (only one big one), as it controls the airbags. Front bolt covers can be pulled toward you to remove the clips (the left driver may have a push clip in the front (cant remember). The seat back will unzip at the sides, bottom and lower back have plastic long clips that either catch one another, or clip to the metal frame. You should be able to free up the edges all the way around the lower and back foam. You will not however be able to remove the covers from the center sections without cuting the hog rings that connect the mounts of the seats cover to the frame. If you cut those, you will need new hog rings and ring pliers. Though, that may not be nessessary as most of the center sections are perforated leather, much easier to steam and work from the outside.

I do not suggest a heat gun, those can destroy the leather. But a hair dry can be used in a pinch if you are careful. Just keep it moving, and keep the leather moist. Some here have said a few days in the sun worked wonders on bunched up or creased leather areas. But waiting for hot days in your neck of the woods may take a while.

Users who are viewing this thread